Long Distance Investing

Long Distance Investing

Specialist · Austin, TX · Member since 2017 · 42 posts · 16 votes

Do any investors in the Austin area invest primarily out of state? Finding deals in Austin seems to be extremely difficult and even though I know of people that have success in DFW and SA I'm still interesting in discovering other markets that can provide both cash flow and appreciation. Kansas City has come up a lot recently but I'm curious to as to what y'all may know.

1Reply
26 views

Most Popular Reply

Rental Property Investor · Pompano beach, FL · Member since 2017 · 478 posts · 194 votes
8y

David Greene's book on long distance investing was a great help to me tackles most questions. Best of luck to you.

See this reply in the discussion

28 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Rental Property Investor · Austin, TX · Member since 2016 · 361 posts · 394 votes
    8y

    There are many markets across the US that can provide both cash flow and appreciation. The questions is, in which markets can you build a team that can enable your success? Are there any markets that you have existing relationships in that may give you a leg up in building your team?

  • Flipper/Rehabber · Fayetteville, AR · Member since 2016 · 130 posts · 62 votes
    8y

    @Austin Joseph I am currently evaluating this same scenario myself right now. Since I frequently travel for my primary W2 job, I am free to live anywhere that I want to. I have spent an extensive amount of time traveling the country so I already have a good idea of the types of places that I would be willing to live and invest, and I am currently evaluating the numbers to see which locations make the most financial sense. Being free of any location restraints will also allow me the ability to pack up my toys and head to the next location if the economic conditions so dictate. Since some of my core construction and design team members will be moving with me, I will be able to quickly assemble a reliable team as @Kris Wong mentioned and can further reduce my learning curve by hiring a knowledgeable local real estate agent. I will also be hiring local skilled laborers, whenever financially prudent, instead of having to rely on unproven subcontractors. I'd love to know where you are considering investing and see if any of those locations overlap with any of the locations that I am considering. It would be great to share some information and insight with others so that I can further narrow down investment location.

  • Rental Property Investor · Pompano beach, FL · Member since 2017 · 478 posts · 194 votes
    8y

    David Greene's book on long distance investing was a great help to me tackles most questions. Best of luck to you.

  • Specialist · Austin, TX · Member since 2017 · 42 posts · 16 votes
    8y

    @Mike Castellow Some of the areas that I'm interested in are Columbus, OH, Cincinnati, Omaha and Kansas City but I'm really open to anything. I'm a new investor so I'm just trying to find a growing market that'd allow me to get in with less capital than say Austin, Orlando, ect.

  • Specialist · Austin, TX · Member since 2017 · 42 posts · 16 votes
    8y

    @Rita Medeiros I read it about a week after it came out and I thought it was fantastic. May have to reread it soon

  • Investor · Redmond, WA · Member since 2016 · 169 posts · 58 votes
    8y
    @Mike Castellow The primary benefit of the forums is to ask, share and learn from others in a manner that incites others to join in the discussions. Please share the areas you are considering investing in and others will contribute more information regarding potential emerging markets and the fundamentals that make sense in these markets. Sharing this information with the community helps everyone.
  • Flipper/Rehabber · Fayetteville, AR · Member since 2016 · 130 posts · 62 votes
    8y

    @Ted Klein I'm working nights at the end of a refinery outage in Alaska, and it's winding down so I have pockets of free time throughout the night. I actually cut my post off shorter than I wanted because I had to take care of some business, and I just didn't get back to talking about my potential plans.

    A little backstory on why we are looking to move from the Austin area. My wife was recently diagnosed with an electrical issue with her heart and the new medication has made her far more susceptible to several allergens. She has always had issues during cedar fever season and now is going to be tested this week to find out which other allergens are causing her current severe allergic reactions. This will be a major factor in the region we relocate, but I will also be choosing the metropolitan area based on current and future real estate investment opportunities, the ability to match my investment style with the local market, tax implications, and the ability for me to lead the type of life that I want to live. I have a long list of potential investment locations, and I will be narrowing my list down over the next few weeks with most of my research taking place after I complete my current project this coming week.

    I have mainly concentrated in real estate around my home in San Marcos, TX, and I have just begun researching opportunities to invest in other locations. If I am to remain in state, I plan to primarily invest in rental properties in and around San Antonio, Victoria, Corpus Christi, or I'd really enjoy focusing on old dilapidated homes in small Texas towns that have outstanding school districts.

    For out of state, I will be focusing on metropolitan areas that exceed the national population growth and closer to the 1% rule than I can find around Austin. I've just begun researching cities such as Kansas City, Cincinnati, Fayetteville, several coastal cities in North and South Carolina, couple of places in Oregon, and numerous college towns scattered throughout the country. Like I said, I'm just starting my research outside of Texas, but I have previously traveled for weeks and even months at a time to almost every destination that I'm considering so I at least have some basic idea as to the culture of most of these areas. I have many more hours of research before I am ready to make a move, but I will be heading in my chosen direction within the next month or two.

  • Investor · Redmond, WA · Member since 2016 · 169 posts · 58 votes
    8y
    @Mike Castellow Sorry to hear about your wife's conditions wishing her all the best. That certainly warrants a closer look at areas for quality of life factors rather than just economic conditions. The areas you have mentioned have been discussed quite frequently on the forums. I personally think that Kansas City maybe a good choice with the discussion of the possible Sprint and T-Mobile merger. Kansas City has a pretty diverse economy. I have looked at Kansas City before and find that the conditions there meet my requirements but I had trouble setting up a team there. I reached out to a few contractors but none of them followed up. If you want to send me a PM I would provide the contractor names and more details in why I choose not to pursue further. Nothing replaces personal time in these locations as you have already done. Wishing you the best in your research and hope that your choice is one that will help alleviate your wifes allergic reactions and provide you the returns you are looking for to match your investment style.
  • Flipper/Rehabber · Fayetteville, AR · Member since 2016 · 130 posts · 62 votes
    8y

    @Ted Klein

    Thank you for the well wishes.

    I also like the potential in Kansas City and would love the opportunity to do some major renovations on some of the 100 year old homes in the area. A lot of investors typically avoid these because of the initial costs and length of time it takes to do the work, but I enjoy the challenge and would much rather do a major renovation on a historic home than multiple cosmetic remodels for the same amount of initial capital and return on investment.

  • Rental Property Investor · Los Angeles, CA · Member since 2016 · 141 posts · 123 votes
    8y

    @Austin Joseph Dont know much about DFW and SA, but KC has been great for me. Currently have 2 rentals and looking to expand through either turnkey or light cosmetic BRRRR (no walls being moved, etc.) but as I continue to scour through deals from agents/wholesalers, etc., it appears the market is super hot and im getting deals 75-80% ARV so it will leave me with a good chunk of money still left in the deal, but if its a good property and #s are right, im still buying those.

  • Investor · Redmond, WA · Member since 2016 · 169 posts · 58 votes
    8y
    @Mike Castellow I have heard stories about people doing renovations in historical districts. Apparently renovations within the district are subject to review and regulations to confirm the remodel conforms to authentic standards of design and workmanship. Having to conform could potentially wreck your reno budget. You probably should check with the local town hall to see if a property is of historical significance as part of your due diligence.
  • Andrew SyriosPro Member
    Moderator
    Residential Real Estate Investor · Kansas City, MO · Member since 2014 · 10k+ posts · 5k+ votes
    8y

    As an investor in Kansas City, I can tell you it's getting pretty expensive here too. Although it's still a lot less expensive than Austin of course.

  • Flipper/Rehabber · Fayetteville, AR · Member since 2016 · 130 posts · 62 votes
    8y

    @Ted Klein I've already learned through trial by fire that dealing with a historical district committee can be a major pain but as long the holding cost for the extended timeframe is accounted for in your budget there's usually not much of an issue. Unless the interior of the house is considered historical, they typically are only concerned with preserving the original exterior details of the house which can include everything from the porch to the roofline so additions and exterior changes can create a major delay or even totally disrupt your intended plan.

    For me there's fewer unknowns with an old property when I already plan to upgrade everything and am pleasantly surprised when something is in better condition than expected, as opposed to purchasing a cosmetic rehab with tight margins and then later finding out that the plumbing or electrical needs to be replaced or the foundation needs repair.

    The best thing about real estate is there is a niche for everyone's personality and experience.

  • Investor · Redmond, WA · Member since 2016 · 169 posts · 58 votes
    8y
    @Andrew Syrios didn't you put together a heat map of KC awhile back? I recall seeing it and it was very helpful in evaluating neighborhoods. If so, perhaps it is due for a repost :)
  • Andrew SyriosPro Member
    Moderator
    Residential Real Estate Investor · Kansas City, MO · Member since 2014 · 10k+ posts · 5k+ votes
    8y
    Originally posted by @Ted Klein:
    @Andrew Syrios didn't you put together a heat map of KC awhile back? I recall seeing it and it was very helpful in evaluating neighborhoods. If so, perhaps it is due for a repost :)

     I can't remember posting anything like that. Maybe you're talking about my article on GIS software; https://www.biggerpockets.com/renewsblog/an-introductory-guide-to-esri/, but that didn't evaluate the whole city.

  • Rental Property Investor · Los Angeles, CA · Member since 2016 · 141 posts · 123 votes
    8y
    Originally posted by @Andrew Syrios:
    Originally posted by @Ted Klein:
    @Andrew Syrios didn't you put together a heat map of KC awhile back? I recall seeing it and it was very helpful in evaluating neighborhoods. If so, perhaps it is due for a repost :)

     I can't remember posting anything like that. Maybe you're talking about my article on GIS software; https://www.biggerpockets.com/renewsblog/an-introd..., but that didn't evaluate the whole city.

     Good seeing you here Andrew, hope youre doing well.

    Your knowledge of the KC market definitely helped me learn much more about where im investing. (got my tax appeal in too :)

  • Rental Property Investor · Round Rock, TX · Member since 2016 · 1k+ posts · 971 votes
    8y

    @Austin Joseph - we are also made the switch and looking for investing OOS. We are in the process of defining our search criteria and investment criteria and also looking for resources (team) and selecting/eliminating states and locales - OH, FL, AZ seem to bubble up for us based on various factors. 

    But at this time, a majority of metropolitan areas are overvalued according to CoreLogic....so not sure.

    Here’s what we currently have as search criteria (must have):

    • Purchase price should be between $60,000-$150,000
    • Neighborhood should be a solid B-/C+ (Working Class)
    • I want minimum 200+ monthly cash flow or 100/door after ALL expenses
    • Rent 1% or more of ARV
    • 10-12%+ CoC ROI
    • Schools above 6 rating
    • Tenants pays all utilities

    Ideally (or more flexible criteria):

    • I will buy with cash and want to refinance with 25-30% down after rehab
    • Built after 1985.
    • When possible, I want to purchase multifamily units (2-4, max 8)
    • I want to spend less than $3,000 on inspections and closing costs
    • I want to spend less than $10,000 in initial repairs and rehab

    Values we use in our calculations:

    • 5.5% interest rate, 30 years
    • 10% vacancy
    • 6% repairs and maintenance
    • 6% capital expenditures
    • 10% management fees
    • 2% annual income growth
    • 2% annual appreciation growth
    • 2% annual expenses growth
    • 6% sales expenses

    What do you think of this criteria? Reasonable or crazy?

    What do you use in your search?

  • Flipper/Rehabber · Fayetteville, AR · Member since 2016 · 130 posts · 62 votes
    8y

    @Costin I. Your numbers seem to be really well thought out from my perspective. The only thing that concerns me about investing in large portions of Ohio or any place that is shrinking in population is the stagnation or potential depreciation of housing prices. Monthly rent doesn't matter if the place sits vacant for extended periods of time or if you want to eventually sell and the monthly cash flow doesn't fully cover the loss of equity. Good luck and it seems like you have a good set of criteria to help you narrow down your options.

  • Investor · Phoenix, AZ · Member since 2015 · 485 posts · 384 votes
    8y

    @Austin Joseph you can invest in any market, just make sure you do the same necessary sub-market research you would do at home. The evident challenge is time. Now you'll need to quit sleeping or leverage other people's time. Your "on the ground team" (property managers, general contractors, and other service providers) is what will make or break any deal, close or far. 

    Other core team members can be located anywhere. Thanks to the internet and online software (SaaS) managing a property is becoming faster, cheaper, more transparent and accessible day and night for anyone who needs to know.

    I'm remotely building teams in various US markets and partner with co-sponsors, key-principles and private equity investors for mid- to large size multifamily value-add properties nationwide.

    You're welcome to join ;-)

  • Specialist · Austin, TX · Member since 2017 · 42 posts · 16 votes
    8y

    @Costin I. I think I'd agree with @Mike Castellow. Your criteria seems to very similar to mine but stagnation of home prices is a concern of mine that I believe can be avoided if you know the market well enough

  • Real Estate Broker · Cleveland Dayton Cincinnati Toledo Columbus & Akron, OH · Member since 2013 · 30k+ posts · 20k+ votes
    8y
    Originally posted by @Austin Joseph:

    Do any investors in the Austin area invest primarily out of state? Finding deals in Austin seems to be extremely difficult and even though I know of people that have success in DFW and SA I'm still interesting in discovering other markets that can provide both cash flow and appreciation. Kansas City has come up a lot recently but I'm curious to as to what y'all may know.

    Haven't personally looked at Kansas City but generally speaking all of the Midwestern markets like Kansas City, Cleveland, Toledo etc... are very similar.....It's not really that complicated to buy out of state. It only becomes complicated when investors try to over complicate or over think everything. Whenever you are buying a property out of state you should do a few things to ensure it's as smooth as possible.

    • Don't buy in the roughest neighborhood in the urban core. Pick a solid B-Class suburban area. Perhaps a nice 1950's built bungalow.
    • Always hire a 3rd party property inspector to give you an unbiased feel for the home. The reports are 40-90 pages long and go through the entire house in great detail.
    • Get an appraisal. If your using financing the bank requires this. This is good. The bank isn't going to let you blow their money. They have more skin in the game then you do.
    • Make sure you get clear title. If using a lender this is a non issue. They will make you do this. It's those maniacs that buy homes cash via quit claim deed off of craigslist that really get screwed.
    • Make sure your property manager is a licensed real estate brokerage.
    • Understand you can not eliminate all risk, only mitigate it. If you are risk adverse real estate, (especially out of state) is not for you.
  • Realtor and Investor · Scottsdale, AZ · Member since 2017 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    8y
    Originally posted by @Costin I.:

    @Austin Joseph - we are also made the switch and looking for investing OOS. We are in the process of defining our search criteria and investment criteria and also looking for resources (team) and selecting/eliminating states and locales - OH, FL, AZ seem to bubble up for us based on various factors. 

    But at this time, a majority of metropolitan areas are overvalued according to CoreLogic....so not sure.

    Here’s what we currently have as search criteria (must have):

    • Purchase price should be between $60,000-$150,000
    • Neighborhood should be a solid B-/C+ (Working Class)
    • I want minimum 200+ monthly cash flow or 100/door after ALL expenses
    • Rent 1% or more of ARV
    • 10-12%+ CoC ROI
    • Schools above 6 rating
    • Tenants pays all utilities

    Ideally (or more flexible criteria):

    • I will buy with cash and want to refinance with 25-30% down after rehab
    • Built after 1985.
    • When possible, I want to purchase multifamily units (2-4, max 8)
    • I want to spend less than $3,000 on inspections and closing costs
    • I want to spend less than $10,000 in initial repairs and rehab

    Values we use in our calculations:

    • 5.5% interest rate, 30 years
    • 10% vacancy
    • 6% repairs and maintenance
    • 6% capital expenditures
    • 10% management fees
    • 2% annual income growth
    • 2% annual appreciation growth
    • 2% annual expenses growth
    • 6% sales expenses

    What do you think of this criteria? Reasonable or crazy?

    What do you use in your search?

    Take AZ out of your mix based on your criteria. You will be chasing your tail to find a property under $150K (I could end the sentence there), that also cash flows at least $200 per door AND is 1% ARV. It just doesn't exist in this market.

    I suppose if you go to the outer fringe areas, MAYBE.  But not in Greater Phx (which includes all the big cities like Phx, Scottsdale, Glendale, Peoria, Chandler, Gilbert, Mesa, Tempe, Cave Creek, Carefree, Sun City, Ahwatukee and more).

    Our average cost of entry is $200K for single family dwellings.  The properties listed from $170K to $200K are bid up in a fire storm.  I just had a cleint put in an offer on a property listed for $175K, and we were 1 of 14 other offers within the first day on market.  So, that price range is crazy right now.  And for SURE, that property is NOT getting $2K in rent.  No way.  

    There are still deals to be had here, but not based on your criteria.

  • Rental Property Investor · Round Rock, TX · Member since 2016 · 1k+ posts · 971 votes
    8y

    LOL...that's what we currently have as search criteria, I didn't say that's what we are finding.

    OH, FL, AZ seem to bubble up for us based on various factors (like landlord friendly states, property tax, sales tax, income tax, population net migration, affordability).

    That's why the questions: What do you think of that criteria? Reasonable or crazy? What do you use in your search?

    ...because if you can't find SFR deals that cashflow 200$ with a minimum CoC ROI of 8% you are better off investing in stock market index funds...or worse, the RE investing party is coming to a screeching halt and better prepare for a crash.

  • Investor · Los Angeles, CA · Member since 2016 · 69 posts · 46 votes
    8y

    Great thread!

    Austin is a tough market.  I have a few OOS properties in Kansas City and I invest locally here in Austin now.  I can tell you they both have their challenges.  

    I believe Austin is much safer if you can find a decent deal.  People are not going to stop moving to Austin anytime soon.  Austin properties appreciate.  If you can find a deal that breaks even on cash flow its a decent deal in Austin, they are even hard to find.  To find anything in Austin is going to take a lot of work and typically you'll need money for marketing.  You just can't find a deal that rents for what your mortgage is unless you find some value add and beat the thousands of investors to the deal that are trying to do the same thing.

    In KC, cash flow is easy to find but IMO there is more risk.  The job market is not as strong as Austin.  Tenants  are more likely to trash your property (personal opinion) but it can happen in any market.  Appreciation is slower in KC compared to Austin.

    My strategy is to have both.  The cash flow from the midwest can balance an appreciation portfolio that has low cash flow and reduce risk.

    If I can help anyone in any way feel free to reach out!

  • Shawnee, KS · Member since 2018 · 33 posts · 10 votes
    8y

    @Kevin Kite Just curious, what part of KC do you have properties in? 

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.