Meetup in Tokyo - any interest??

Meetup in Tokyo - any interest??

Investor · DFW, TX · Member since 2013 · 319 posts · 101 votes

Dear Fellow BPers in and around Tokyo Japan.

I would like to get a small informal get-together going on a regular basis somewhere in Tokyo. Open to anyone willing to make the trip of course, but likely folks from the Kanto area - Yokohama, Chiba, Saitama, Kanagawa, Ibaraki, etc?

Please reply here in case you're interested, and if you want to help organize, even better! :)

Let's try to get the first meeting going in the next 2-3 weeks, then hopefully make it a monthly thing??

@Pyrrha Rivers

@Kristin Shitara

@Naga A.

@Zachary D.

@Nick Brubaker

@Maria Kovach

@Greg Christensen

Please feel free to tag and invite anyone else that you know who might be interested!

Best Regards,

-Dmitri

2Reply
1,019 views

Most Popular Reply

Investor · Yokosuka, Japan · Member since 2014 · 631 posts · 184 votes
11y

@Daniel 

@Daniel Ryu Thank you for the link to your article. I can't wait to read it and share it. All who attended the small joint meetup last month invest in the US. I am hoping to grow our local group in Yokosuka and this type of resource will be very helpful because having a roadmap from someone who has traveled the way we want to go is always helpful because it makes what seems impossible more real and attainable. I'm sharing it with the Yokosuka group and suggesting we have a discussion on it when we meet.

We are in our infancy stage, so no, we have not yet thrown our meetup on Meetup.com

Thanks for sharing!

See this reply in the discussion

214 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Investor · Yokosuka, Japan · Member since 2014 · 631 posts · 184 votes
    11y

    Place looks nice! Do you know if they have a separate area? May be quite noisy to have the conversations needed to share ideas.

  • Decatur, GA · Member since 2015 · 419 posts · 52 votes
    11y

    Those beers look good  : )  I can make it tonight - though for some reason by your last message I thought we were putting it off until next month, when more people could make it. 

  • Investor · DFW, TX · Member since 2013 · 319 posts · 101 votes
    11y

    confirmed for 7:30 pm tonight! Reservation for "re-shi-n-Su-ki" haha 

  • Investor · DFW, TX · Member since 2013 · 319 posts · 101 votes
    11y

    I'm at GBF, high table on your right as you walk in . Ping me here if you have trouble finding the place

  • Investor · Yokosuka, Japan · Member since 2014 · 631 posts · 184 votes
    11y

    Hope you had a great turn out and productive meeting.

  • Invester/ wellness coach. · Akiruno Shi, Tōkyō-to · Member since 2015 · 100 posts · 9 votes
    11y

    Wish I could be there, hope you guys have a good meeting. 

  • Decatur, GA · Member since 2015 · 419 posts · 52 votes
    11y

    It was a good time.  I got to do my own podcast interview with Dmitri regarding his past and future investments.  

  • Investor · Yokosuka, Japan · Member since 2014 · 631 posts · 184 votes
    11y

    Can't wait for the next one in September when I'm in town!

  • Rental Property Investor · Ventura, CA · Member since 2014 · 50 posts · 5 votes
    11y

    @Dmitri L.

    Currently outside Japan and i bet you guys had a successful meet up. I am excited to join next time.

    Thanks and regards to all.

  • Investor · DFW, TX · Member since 2013 · 319 posts · 101 votes
    11y

    Thanks @Nick Brubakerfor coming! Great talking to you and good luck with the school sale

    @Pyrrha Rivers - yes definitely looking forward to a joint meetup in September! Let's set the date in advance so people can block it off on their calendar? 

    How does Wednesday Sept 16th at 7:30pm work for everyone?

  • Invester/ wellness coach. · Akiruno Shi, Tōkyō-to · Member since 2015 · 100 posts · 9 votes
    11y

    Wednesday's are good for me in general, I have other obligations. Monday, Thursday, Saturday's are best for me.

  • Investor · Yokosuka, Japan · Member since 2014 · 631 posts · 184 votes
    11y

    Saturdays are best for me also but the meeting being in Yokohama will make it a lot easier to get there. I'll keep September 16th open in case that's the date we end up with.

    I'm just excited to have the chance to attend the meeting!

  • FPO, AP · Member since 2015 · 120 posts · 19 votes
    11y

    I will be back in Japan in December 

  • Investor · DFW, TX · Member since 2013 · 319 posts · 101 votes
    11y
    Originally posted by @Dan Baker:

    Wednesday's are good for me in general, I have other obligations. Monday, Thursday, Saturday's are best for me.

    Dan assuming that should read Wednesdays are no good? I'm OK to move this to Thursdays instead

    @Pyrrha Rivers - apologies Saturdays are no good for me due to family obligations.

    So shall we say that the next one is:

    Thursday September 17th, at 7:30pm in Yokohama ?

    Pyrrha do you happen to have any venue suggestions? If you could help to co-ordinate this one and round up your local folks, would greatly appreciate it. Let's make this a good one!

    Cheers

    -Dmitri

  • Investor · Yokosuka, Japan · Member since 2014 · 631 posts · 184 votes
    11y

    Hi @Dmitri L.

     I understand about Saturdays. I don't know of a venue but will ask around for suggestions. Yokohama station has so many eating establishments that we can possibly find one there,

    I will share the date and time with those I know.

    Thanks,

  • Lockport , NY · Member since 2014 · 265 posts · 124 votes
    11y
    Is this for investing in Japan? Stateside? I'm interested either way, my wife is Japanese. I'm in the Tachikawa area, so i can make it! I'd recommend just picking a date about 2 months out and letting people adjust their schedules from there! Maybe the 3rd Thursday of every month...as an example! Thanks for putting it together.
  • Investor · Yokosuka, Japan · Member since 2014 · 631 posts · 184 votes
    11y

    @Jeff Sprunger This meetup is in its infancy stage. I'm sure conversation about investing in the US will probably be dominant due to the fact that it's not easy to purchase in Japan with financing. However, I'm sure we would all be interested in hearing and brainstorming about opportunities. 

    Do you think you could help with finding a venue for September 17th? I've asked a couple of friends that live in the area.  

    Thanks,

  • Investor · Yokosuka, Japan · Member since 2014 · 631 posts · 184 votes
    11y

    Hello 

    I have finally made it back to Yokosuka and have been making inquiries regarding possible venues but have not had very good luck.

    El Torito Mexican restaurant was suggested but I'm not sure about it having a space where a group of us can sit and talk. 

    Any luck on your side? I will continue to ask other friends now that I'm here, though.

    Pyrrha

  • Investor · Ballwin, MO · Member since 2015 · 15 posts · 3 votes
    11y

    Hi,
    Just stumbled across this site.  I am living in central Tokyo and currently invest in multifamily properties in Tokyo and the US.  Been doing RE investment for 10 years. 

    Mind if I invite myself to the meet up later this month? 

    Cheers,
    Trevor

  • Investor · Yokosuka, Japan · Member since 2014 · 631 posts · 184 votes
    11y

    @Trevor Moss

    Please do come and bring any others you know in the area. This is an open invitation to all who can make it. I'm sure organizer @Dmitri L. will be thrilled to know you'll join us.

    I am currently trying to find a venue for us to meet and a head count is really important so I will certainly add you to the count and I ask all others who plan to attend to make it known so we can secure a venue with adequate space. 

  • Invester/ wellness coach. · Akiruno Shi, Tōkyō-to · Member since 2015 · 100 posts · 9 votes
    11y
    Originally posted by @Dmitri L.:
    Originally posted by @Dan Baker:

    Wednesday's are good for me in general, I have other obligations. Monday, Thursday, Saturday's are best for me.

    Dan assuming that should read Wednesdays are no good? I'm OK to move this to Thursdays instead

    @Pyrrha Rivers - apologies Saturdays are no good for me due to family obligations.

    So shall we say that the next one is:

    Thursday September 17th, at 7:30pm in Yokohama ?

    Pyrrha do you happen to have any venue suggestions? If you could help to co-ordinate this one and round up your local folks, would greatly appreciate it. Let's make this a good one!

    Cheers

    -Dmitri

     Sorry for the long delayed response, I've been away for little while. Thursdays  in general are very good for me, but I'm very busy until I come back at the end of September.  I would love to see this group grow but it's very difficult for me to attend if it's not something on a set day of the month. As an example every other Thursday or even the third Thursday of every month.  that way I can move things around and I can be more flexible with business schedule. 

  • Investor · Yokosuka, Japan · Member since 2014 · 631 posts · 184 votes
    11y

    Hello All,

    I am working on securing a venue but having a head count is imperative. Please let me know if you plan to attend our September meetup in Yokohama on Thursday the 17th at 7:30 pm.

    So far I count 8 of us but I'm nor certain about a few of you. Not sure if you're attending or were just participating in the planning conversation. If you plan to bring a friend, please let me know you will be a +1 so I can get as accurate a count as possible.

    Thanks!

    Pyrrha

  • Rental Property Investor · Yokohama Shi, Kanagawa-ken · Member since 2015 · 81 posts · 30 votes
    11y

    Hello all! And thank you, @Dan Baker for pointing me to this thread!

    I'm a part-time investor from Iowa who's made my way to Tokyo as a programmer. I actually live in Hakuraku (just a couple stops from Yokohama) and would be very interested in joining if there's room for one more! 

  • Investor · Yokosuka, Japan · Member since 2014 · 631 posts · 184 votes
    11y

    @Matthew PinkstonWelcome! Thanks @Dan Bakerfor including him. @Dmitri L. do you have a head count from Tokyo?

    Thanks,

    Pyrrha

  • Invester/ wellness coach. · Akiruno Shi, Tōkyō-to · Member since 2015 · 100 posts · 9 votes
    11y

    Yokohama is very far for me, I live near yokota AFB.  I'll have a hard time getting to Yokohama in time enough for a meeting, and I'll have to pass this time. Sorry 

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.