Aprecciacion and growth in specific Milwaukee, WI

Aprecciacion and growth in specific Milwaukee, WI

Milwaukee, WI · Member since 2017 · 34 posts · 5 votes

So, I'm currently browsing all the easy listing engines, zillow, realtor, the rest, trying to get a feel for what's available, what things are priced at etc... and simultaneously bouncing that off an interesting recent experience of my own.

I guess I can start by giving a quick blip of our experience over this summer. My wife owns our family home in the River West neighborhood here in Milwaukee. We are just behind Colectivo and one block from the river itself for those that know the area well enough. The home was purchased at the height of the bubble with all signs indicating River West and Brewers Hill were about to boom, or boom even more I guess.

Long story a bit shorter, here we are in the house all these years later thinking we can do a cash out refi as a move to use the cash, improve the property, and sell possibly moving up into the north shore area.

Being that my wife has done REO analysis for MGIC she has tons of experience valuing homes, looking at comparables, estimating value of repairs etc... She was convinced we would get an appraisal in a certain range. We did not. The appraiser used a comp on Buffum St. (again anyone that truly knows this niche market should understand that red flag. Yes, same zip, same signs on the street poles saying "River West", worlds apart. The difference five ten blocks can make.) We still refied for other reasons but weren't able to cash out. We literally had offers sitting for our needed price but just weren't ready to move making it impossible to accept them.

Here we are at the end of a summer that saw very little listings in the neighborhood and tons of buyers. We recently checked one of the comps used and saw it sold for almost 100,000 more than the original asking price after a bidding war!

Needless to say we are still a little upset the appraisal came without any understanding of the current market. $500 bucks and lessons learned.

Well if you've stuck it out through that boring story till now, I'll get to my point. It seems to me knowing the specific market, which way a neighborhood is going, etc... is all extremely important in this thing. That being said I'd like to strike up a conversation on speculation of specific Milwaukee neighborhoods. Brewers Hill and River West finally pulling themselves out of the crisis and seeing values on the rise again. How much does the new bucks arena effect Brewers Hill? How long before River Westers brave the Holton St. divide in a critical mass changing that neighborhood significantly? Every year one more house on Holton has a fresh coat of paint, a new porch, roof, landscaping etc... Harambe the next hipster haven? Bay view? How much growth is left specifically? Do people push into Lincoln Village eventually? I know a few artist types who are there now for its proximity to BV, cheap rents, and great tacos. That's how it always starts isn't it? The whole south side? Foxcon creates a similar situation to the mission district of San Francisco? Walkers Point is clearly really taking big steps towards that future. I'd go as far as to say so is Silver City with the changes we are seeing in the valley. Layton blvd/27th and it's beautiful big homes (Frank Loyd ring a bell?). Sherman park and it's big beautiful homes on Sherman/43rd. Back to Bay View, what about the rest of the south shore? St Francis, Cudahay, and the rest? There's only so much shore line. What's growth look like in those areas?

What's the scoop? Tell me what you think? Where's the next big neighborhood in Milwaukee. Where can you get in now, fight the storm, and come out in the next big neighborhood. Is it worth thinking about or do we all stick to nothing but Brady and Farwell /east side, renting around the college, River West, bay view, brewers Hill, Walkers point, and follow the herd? What does Milwaukees future look like? We can even go as far as the rest of the south eastern WI area. Do hipsters invade downtown Waukesha in droves driving prices unexpectedly sky high?

I think this conversation could prove useful to out of state investors as well. Like I said above, in Milwaukee the difference a few blocks can make are, or can be pretty significant.

Anyway, love to hear what you all think.

0Reply
23 views

Most Popular Reply

Specialist · CHICAGO · Member since 2015 · 680 posts · 650 votes
9y

Hey @Darren Liedtke I love this post! I wish you'd made it a day ago. I would have told you that we have a Milwaukee REI Club to have these exact conversations. However, @Dawn Anastasi has a great Ebook thats available for purchase on Lulu.com.

She's very knowledgeable and I think its worth picking up if only for her to write future additions that keep up with the times. Reach out to @Sam Erickson he runs the Milwaukee REI Club. Its a good group that gets together and just talks REI!

See this reply in the discussion

11 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Specialist · CHICAGO · Member since 2015 · 680 posts · 650 votes
    9y

    Hey @Darren Liedtke I love this post! I wish you'd made it a day ago. I would have told you that we have a Milwaukee REI Club to have these exact conversations. However, @Dawn Anastasi has a great Ebook thats available for purchase on Lulu.com.

    She's very knowledgeable and I think its worth picking up if only for her to write future additions that keep up with the times. Reach out to @Sam Erickson he runs the Milwaukee REI Club. Its a good group that gets together and just talks REI!

  • Milwaukee, WI · Member since 2017 · 34 posts · 5 votes
    9y

    Hey @Meghan McCallum, 

     Thanks for showing some love. I've heard about all the local groups. I'm sure eventually I'll show my face at some of those events. Right now I'm really only batting around the idea of investing in any way shape or form. Short of very small investments in the stock markets I have done nothing yet. Real estate just seems to make perfect sense for my family. As I sort of mentioned in my post, my wife has almost twenty years experience in real estate, and even more so in mortgage. She has done everything front to back, originator, closer, insurance, realtor for corporate relocations.. On the other hand I've worked in the building trades in varying forms for about the same amount of time. I am actually currently a maintenance technician/engineer. Why on earth would we use these talents for someone else? 

     Out side of that I would be interested what some one inside the industry thinks. Perhaps I should pick up @Dawn Anastasi book. Me personally, being born and raised here I've been pretty spot on with where I thought things were going looking back. It was all intuitive though. Not necessarily technical analysis. For instance I grew up in Bay View and after traveling a bit I remember telling people to buy there. I currently have a few friends that own some of the mixed properties there. store fronts and apartments above. They partially made their decision due to us showing them the neighborhood in our youth. I still have a hard time wrapping my head around the changes in that neighborhood compared to my youth. I can only Imagine things have flattened out there to some degree. As mentioned above I have a feeling if you hold on long enough you could see some real increased value in  Lincoln Village, or safer bets to be made in Cudahay/ St Francis. 

     Short of giving me the next edition of your book @Dawn Anastasi I'd be extremely interested to hear the condensed version here and now? whats the next "big" Milwaukee neighborhood? Is there one or does the ride end at Riverwest, Walkers Point, Bay View, Lower East side, etc... 

    Another aspect that just struck me... Doesn't phase two of the street car involve a line through the north side? I remember hearing about it and figuring it was a bone throw too the Bob Donavan critique that Tommy Tomson only cares about Down Town and The eastern parts of the city. Is it that it just goes up MLK at some point? Hmmmm something I need to look into.

  • Real Estate Agent · Bellingham, WA · Member since 2017 · 427 posts · 182 votes
    9y

    @Shawn Ackerman is a wholeseller in Milwaukee. He has a really good thumb on the area, and probably has a few properties you could pick up.

  • Shawn AckermanPro Member
    Real Estate Entrepreneur · Mid West, East Coast · Member since 2015 · 3k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    9y

    @Robert Freeborn thanks for the mention my friend.  Yea we are getting acquainted.  @Darren Liedtke is an avid writer LOL!!!

  • Milwaukee, WI · Member since 2017 · 34 posts · 5 votes
    9y

    I occasionally get free time at my current job @Shawn Ackerman. HAHA. Sorry for texting your ear off.

  • Rebecca KnoxBusiness Member
    Specialist · Milwaukee, WI · Member since 2014 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    9y

    Who did you try to use for the re-fi?  

    Captain Save-A-Home LLC
  • Milwaukee, WI · Member since 2017 · 34 posts · 5 votes
    9y

    Um... I actually totally forgot. We ended up doing it under our current lender. We even tried to ... I forget the proper term... We tried to send them the comps we were seeing that more accurately reflected the value etc...  @Rebecca Knox  It's an out of state lender. The crappy part is that it affected our refi through our current lender as well. We did get a lower payment but we wouldn't have even done it outside of a few other factors that made it necessary. Mainly removing my wife's Ex from the mortgage.

  • Rebecca KnoxBusiness Member
    Specialist · Milwaukee, WI · Member since 2014 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    9y

    I see. I was just curious as I noticed the local banks and credit unions seem to be more flexible when it comes to re-fi's. 

    Captain Save-A-Home LLC
  • Real Estate Consultant · Brookfield, WI · Member since 2014 · 873 posts · 350 votes
    9y

    @Darren Liedtke no crystal ball; only time can tell, but what you described above is the process, one house, one block at a time. The good news is that Milwaukee is small and rents are high. Supply and demand says that when demand is greater than supply the price goes up, supply is low at the moment. 

    The biggest downsize to Milwaukee market is the school system. The surrounding area will always have higher demand until this problem is solved. 

  • Dawn AnastasiPro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Milwaukee, WI · Member since 2013 · 6k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    9y
    Originally posted by @Darren Liedtke:

     Short of giving me the next edition of your book @Dawn Anastasi I'd be extremely interested to hear the condensed version here and now? whats the next "big" Milwaukee neighborhood? Is there one or does the ride end at Riverwest, Walkers Point, Bay View, Lower East side, etc... 

     I don't have a crystal ball either.  :)

  • Milwaukee, WI · Member since 2017 · 34 posts · 5 votes
    9y

    I wholeheartedly agree about the schools @Michael Henry. I'm currently paying more than my mortgage on my primary home for private Montessori and daycare. Partially why escaping to the north shore makes sense. Even Nicolette is an improvement.  My guess is I may pay for catholic when high school finally rolls around. 

     That being said there are some interesting changes in mps that may effect certain neighborhoods in the long hall. 

     And @Dawn Anastasi @Michael Henry, I'm now curious how much a good crystal ball costs (; I've been told they are just as accurate as the stock market speculators. Maybe it's the same for real estate.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.