Pearland, TX · Member since 2013 · 8 posts · 2 votes
Has anyone dealt with and/or heard of Phil Grove? I went to my local REIA meeting last week and he gave a presentation. I am now considering using him as a mentor but wanted to get feedback from anyone that's already worked with him. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.
Rental Property Investor · Denton, TX · Member since 2014 · 63 posts · 21 votes
11y
He's a standard real estate investment guru. He come's thru Dallas every quarter or so. He actually just came to Dallas this last week with one of his seminars. His main objective is to get you to "partner" with him on deals either as a wholesaler (i.e. bird dog deals for him) or possibly as a passive invester (i.e. help him fund his deals). Take it from a guy whose been "Rich Dadded"; "Trumped"; "Real Estate Allianced"; etc. save your money for a deal! Your on the right track if you're going to your REIA and networking. Find a great mentor; learn from their successes; apply what you learn; and never lose money.
Austin, TX · Member since 2014 · 139 posts · 89 votes
11y
ha, I was at the same meeting.
I don't know anything about him except what I've googled, but the thing that was funny to me was that his presentation was almost identical to one I attended in Baltimore a few months ago, called "Winning the Property Wars", which was supposedly run, but not attended, by a guy from that Property Wars TV show. Instead the pitch man was a guy who, according to LinkedIn, used to work for Phill's company.
The bit about driving for dollars and identifying a motivated seller by the tarp on his roof...
The homeowner facing foreclosure who answers every question by screeching, "I know! I know!"...
The story of the college girl who wholesale a house for $17k on the day she graduates...
The 12 strategies for closing...
..I had heard all of them in Baltimore.
And I'm pretty sure they both cited the same property as their first deal.
Interestingly, at the other presentation they were only offering 30 ways to find leads, not 65. So clearly Phill Grove's program is more than twice as good!
None of this answers your question in any way. There may be done sort of link between the two programs. Or one may be plagiarizing the other. But I thought it was funny. It felt a bit like when you only ever watch a show twice and the second time it's the same episode you've already seen.
Rental Property Investor · Denton, TX · Member since 2014 · 63 posts · 21 votes
11y
He's a standard real estate investment guru. He come's thru Dallas every quarter or so. He actually just came to Dallas this last week with one of his seminars. His main objective is to get you to "partner" with him on deals either as a wholesaler (i.e. bird dog deals for him) or possibly as a passive invester (i.e. help him fund his deals). Take it from a guy whose been "Rich Dadded"; "Trumped"; "Real Estate Allianced"; etc. save your money for a deal! Your on the right track if you're going to your REIA and networking. Find a great mentor; learn from their successes; apply what you learn; and never lose money.
Real Estate Investor · San Antonio, TX · Member since 2014 · 785 posts · 190 votes
11y
I have heard of Phil. He 'mentors' tons of people so I would wonder how much personal attn you receive. That is just speculation on my part.
As i posted elsewhere here tonight, I found my mentor at a local RE meeting. He's done over 1000 deals, financially retired at 28 (seriously. yes. seriously). I buy his deals, so he makes money, and his deals make me outstanding ROI. 20k on two flips and 16% roi on a buy and hold so far. I'm in San Antonio. He is a big investor but doesn't 'mentor' 1000 people a t atime or whatever like phil. And he doesn't charge me.
Investor · DFW / Austin, TX · Member since 2013 · 188 posts · 80 votes
11y
@Account Closed said about finding free mentors---you don't need just one, really. Add value to them and their business, and experienced people are usually happy to share their expertise with those who are sincere, want to learn, and willing to work hard.
Rental Property Investor · Denton, TX · Member since 2014 · 63 posts · 21 votes
11y
@Jacob Michaels, there is nothing wrong with what the Groves do, as their business model is to provide a service (REI education) and generate revenue. The cost of getting an education in anything is subjective. That being said, most mentors will not charge for their advice. Assignment of mortgages is certainly a viable strategy in some markets (it's debatable as to it's viability in the Texas market) and in some cases, but it's not something anyone should pay thousands of dollars to learn. The strategy can easily be learned on the internet and/or via a free mentor.
Investor · DFW / Austin, TX · Member since 2013 · 188 posts · 80 votes
11y
@Albert Yamoah I agree that there's nothing wrong with selling education, and Phill Grove provides valuable education. I've spent many thousands on my own RE education and have gotten a lot of value out of it.
Having a mentor is great, and learning from others is great, but I don't think you always need to pay for it, and I think a lot of investors agree.
Real Estate Investor · San Antonio, TX · Member since 2014 · 785 posts · 190 votes
11y
Yes I agree there are mentors out there who will mentor you for free. If you can bring value to the mentor's business, as someone mentioned above, it is indeed a win win for all parties. I have been fortunate to be able to do that in my personal situation in San Antonio. Thanks for the good comments guys.
Real Estate Investor/ Private Investigator · San Antonio, TX · Member since 2015 · 73 posts · 20 votes
11y
Attended a Phil Grove 3 day seminar......in the end, you would have to spend $25-35 thousand dollars to be a part of their "Big Dog" program which is the mentor program. These people try to get you to sign up, asking you to max out credit cards and borrow money from family members. If you dont sign up, someone will call you later on and try to do the same thing.....they really try to get you to get the money from somewhere.....oh, and if you want to be personally mentored by Phil.....its $50K!!!! Waste of time and money!!!
Investor · Dallas, TX · Member since 2014 · 112 posts · 83 votes
11y
There are local mentors in Dallas that charge much less, or even nothing if you find the right person. If you are planning to invest in Dallas I would find someone local. You can find some of them on Meetup.com. Fee free to contact me.
Attended a Phil Grove 3 day seminar......in the end, you would have to spend $25-35 thousand dollars to be a part of their "Big Dog" program which is the mentor program. These people try to get you to sign up, asking you to max out credit cards and borrow money from family members. If you dont sign up, someone will call you later on and try to do the same thing.....they really try to get you to get the money from somewhere.....oh, and if you want to be personally mentored by Phil.....its $50K!!!! Waste of time and money!!!
I went to see Phil and his wife last week for what was supposedly a class on Top Investor Mistakes but was instead an hour long sales pitch for the 20k mentorship program. I thought I was attending a meeting at the Dallas REIA for education. Needless to say I left.
Attended a Phil Grove 3 day seminar......in the end, you would have to spend $25-35 thousand dollars to be a part of their "Big Dog" program which is the mentor program. These people try to get you to sign up, asking you to max out credit cards and borrow money from family members. If you dont sign up, someone will call you later on and try to do the same thing.....they really try to get you to get the money from somewhere.....oh, and if you want to be personally mentored by Phil.....its $50K!!!! Waste of time and money!!!
My wife and I are attending the seminar in two weeks. I hope you got more than a massive sales pitch after spending 3 days in a seminar.
I would think one would be better off putting the $25k to participate in the mentor program into an investment property instead. Certainly we can find lead generation and funding without throwing down $25-50k for "mentoring".
We are in Austin and our local REIA, which we just joined a couple of weeks ago, is run by Phill and his wife.
I was wondering why we got free tickets. I assumed it was under the premise that we might bring him deals, not sign up for expensive mentoring.
We are signed up for the seminar and I will take away some knowledge, especially if I am investing 3 days for this.
Attended a Phil Grove 3 day seminar......in the end, you would have to spend $25-35 thousand dollars to be a part of their "Big Dog" program which is the mentor program. These people try to get you to sign up, asking you to max out credit cards and borrow money from family members. If you dont sign up, someone will call you later on and try to do the same thing.....they really try to get you to get the money from somewhere.....oh, and if you want to be personally mentored by Phil.....its $50K!!!! Waste of time and money!!!
My wife and I are attending the seminar in two weeks. I hope you got more than a massive sales pitch after spending 3 days in a seminar.
I would think one would be better off putting the $25k to participate in the mentor program into an investment property instead. Certainly we can find lead generation and funding without throwing down $25-50k for "mentoring".
We are in Austin and our local REIA, which we just joined a couple of weeks ago, is run by Phill and his wife.
I was wondering why we got free tickets. I assumed it was under the premise that we might bring him deals, not sign up for expensive mentoring.
We are signed up for the seminar and I will take away some knowledge, especially if I am investing 3 days for this.
@Jacob Michaels, have you done a subject-to deal in Texas? If so, what was the duration of the deal? Was the deal a buy and hold (long term) or buy and sell (short term)? Are you aware that note of homes with subject-to financing are being called all over Texas?
Cedar Park, TX · Member since 2015 · 377 posts · 200 votes
11y
@Albert Yamoah, subject-to seems to be a topic of discussion with the Groves. I'm new at this so forgive me if I am not asking this correctly. What do you mean by they are being called?
My wife is a Realtor and she was questioning whether subject-to was even something that could be done.
Unfortunately, that's all you are going to get.....a big sales pitch! They give story after story about their approach to making money in real estate, but in the end, if you dont have the money, you dont get into the program. Here's a red flag for you.....if you start the seminar with them asking you to fill out a form that ask personal questions about your financial status......they will be approaching you in the end and asking you how much money are you willing to spend to "live the financial dream" But please message me afterwards......curious to see if they have changed their approach.
Austin, TX · Member since 2014 · 139 posts · 89 votes
11y
Subject-to can definitely be done in Texas; there are several investors in the Austin area that specialize in it. Reselling houses with owner-financing that wraps the original subject-to mortgage is popular.
Austin, TX · Member since 2014 · 139 posts · 89 votes
11y
If you've joined the RENC you should be on their yahoo groups mailing list which is pretty useful. People are posting deals or asking for and making contractor recommendations regularly.
FWIW, I've never seen either of the Groves answer a question on there.
Investor · Lewisville, TX · Member since 2015 · 1 post · 0 votes
10y
We are part of the Phill & Shenoah Groves Big Dog family. They live in Austin but have built a following here in the DFW area. They bring their entourage every other week, once in N Dallas and once in Grapevine. It's a great group with which to network. You can come to these events for $20 a meeting or join their mentor program at whatever level you choose and attend the educational aspect of the meeting PLUS the Big Dog mastermind. This is where you can really learn a lot about particular deals on which each person is working. I recommend joining at some level just for the mastermind sessions. They also feed you appetizers and buy you a 'beverage' at each meeting. These two seem down to earth and are willing to share their knowledge with everyone in theirBig Dog 'family'. We've recommended these guys to about 10 of the investors who come to our Crush It Meetup in Lewisville once a month. Most of them have joined Phil and Shenoah's grou after attending one session.
Lewisville, TX · Member since 2016 · 3 posts · 0 votes
10y
@kim Keith, how are you doing in the big Dog program? I am in day 2 of it and just heard the pitch. It certainly includes a ton of help and outsourcing