Rich Dad "Advanced Training" seminars?

Rich Dad "Advanced Training" seminars?

Real Estate Investor · Eugene, OR · Member since 2008 · 10 posts · 8 votes

Has anyone taken the plunge and attended any of the "Advanced Training" courses put on by the Rich Dad Education company? Last fall I attended a three day seminar put on by Rich Dad Education, but because of the steep price (and some mental red flags that went up during the seminar), I declined to sign up for any of them.

The first warnings started sounding as things got underway the first day when we were forbidden to network with anyone during or outside of the classroom, we weren't to challenge any of the ideas of the instructor, nor were we to conduct "research" on our own by using the Internet. They also wanted to protect their "proprietary" information, so they wouldn't allow you to record any of the sessions. Note taking, it seems, doesn't seem to threaten that.

I later came to find out that the Rich Dad Education seminars were essentially repackaged Russ Whitney products, and many people feel scammed by the whole process.

I understand that the basic training seminar is mostly motivational in nature and is designed essentially to upsell the attendee into purchasing one of the "advanced training" seminars that deal with a specific area of investing, anywhere from wholesaling to large development deals.

The basic training courses are $495, and if you can withstand/ignore the high pressure sales tactics, I felt that I did actually receive my money's worth in terms of knowledge and useful information. But the advanced courses range anywhere from $7,000 all the way up to $45,000, if memory serves. That seems like a ton of money, but if it's something that returns your "investment" back to you in increased profits from doing better RE deals, then I would assume most would feel the high cost would be worth it.

My question is, has anyone attended any of these courses, and if so, do yo feel that you got your money's worth by attending? I see precious little information anywhere on the Web regarding reviews of these more expensive training courses.

Perhaps attendees sign contracts forbidding them from talking about their experiences? I figured this would be the place to find out.

Todd

2Reply
569 views

Most Popular Reply

Real Estate Investor · Las Vegas, NV · Member since 2008 · 1k+ posts · 447 votes
18y

Understand that the Rich Dad Seminars is a marketing company. They give you a “free†seminar so that you’ll buy the $495 class, the $495 course is used to sell you $7,000 advanced course. The advanced course is designed to sell you the mentoring program. It’s all about upselling, they want you to believe that you will find out the success “secret†at the next class. The reality is that you learn by doing, did you learn how to ride a bike by going to a seminar? No, you learned by falling down and skinning your knees, then you got up and did it again. Education classes are your training wheels but until you actually get out there and do it you will not learn how to really be successful.

:cool:

See this reply in the discussion

202 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Investor · Albuquerque, NM · Member since 2009 · 118 posts · 43 votes
    17y
    Originally posted by Steve Nicewarner:
    Originally posted by Taz:
    So, I guess no one is bothered by the fact his "Rich Dad/Poor Dad" book is fiction?

    http://johntreed.com/Kiyosaki.html


    Honestly, no. I read RD,PD as more of a series of parables and philosophy anyway. If Kiyosaki uses a fictional character to make his points, so be it.

    I would never take actual financial advice from Robert Kiyosaki, but I certainly credit RD,PD for changing the way I think about money.

    Well said. As I read RD/PD, I could tell that it was heavily embellished - especially some of the dialog sections. I didn't know that RD didn't exist but it doesn't surprise me. By the way, you can learn a lot from fiction too.

    It's good to change the way you look at money, but for actual mechanics of RE investing - what author do you recommend?

    thanks,
    M

  • FL · Member since 2008 · 33 posts · 2 votes
    17y

    I find this topic very informative and all the different comments made by every member.
    We must all go with whatever works for us. If that means attending the RDPD sessions, then do it! It works for some people and not for others.
    We are all different. It all depends on how strong your desire is to be successful!!

  • Real Estate Investor · Mission Viejo, Cape Coral, CA · Member since 2008 · 218 posts · 24 votes
    17y

    I know the board member that helped remove Russ Whitney from his own company. To hear the deal they put in place for Russ, and how they went to Kiyosaki and brought him on board is a match made in heaven for the guru world. Russ lost entitlement to his own name sake company because he was "to good" at marketing to investors. He was bringing bus loads of people down to Cape Coral, and charging $30,000 a piece, After a week of class room time he would load them up, drive them around the Cape and sell them a house. They are now a successful investor. That was not hard to do in the hottest real estate market in the country! The problem was he told them how much they would make on the house. Most if not all of those investments houses are in foreclosure now. They took Russ's marketing skills and matched them with "Rich Dad Poor Dad's", Kiyosaki's fame, and are starting the same thing all over again. Kiyosaski is not active in it, they are using his name because Russ lost his. You will learn something from the seminar. Is it worth $40,000 I say no. $50,000 will buy the same houses Russ was selling for $250,000 4 years ago. Invest your money in one of those houses. It is sure to give you enough of a learning experience to teach your own seminar.

  • Residential Real Estate Broker · West Jordan, UT · Member since 2009 · 26 posts · 3 votes
    17y

    As I have stated to many colleagues over the years, there are studies that prove and also studies that find fault in just about any 'fact' out there nowadays. I have decided that it is important to find your own truth and not rely on what other people are telling you. I know for a fact that Robert did have a poor dad as I have talked to him many times about it. I am not replying here to say that his coaching and educational programs are good and/or bad. Just that people need to do their homework in anything they get involved in and not deal so much with 'absolutes' like we are hearing in some of these replies. I personally got started by attending meetings and learning the ins and outs from the school of hard knocks. Some people use different strategies, I for one use both my own money and other people's money when doing real estate. I am working on a package of 19 homes right now for example that are all using other people's money and another deal using my own. Again, I am not saying that this is the right way of doing things, just the way that has worked so far for me! So instead of being someones' clone, I say go out and find what works for you! Educate yourself here, in your local area, and anywhere you can find valuable information, even if there is a high price tag attached to it. If it's valuable, you get out of it what you put into it usually.

  • Real Estate Investor · Edmonton, Alberta · Member since 2009 · 4 posts · 0 votes
    17y

    Thank you RealEstateCoach, I agree with what you said. I'm not going to swear by Kiyosaki's words and treat him like a God or anything like that. :P
    I am new to investing. I don't currently own any income properties yet. So to me, the Rich dad Poor Dad books helped me understand how money works and stuff like that, it makes a lot of sense, especially to a beginner like me. :)

    Anyways, so the Training I took this past weekend was really really good. Our Trainer was Marc Mousseau and he was amazing! I learned so much, it was definitely worth $5000. I wish it was cheaper but when you split it with someone else (you can go with someone), then it's only $2500 which isn't bad considering all the info you're learning. Next month I am taking 'Lease Options'. Then hopefully I'll be ready to purchase my first income property. =))

    Julie

  • Real Estate Investor · Anaheim, CA · Member since 2009 · 1 post · 0 votes
    17y

    Julie,
    I too went to the 3 day seminar but didn't see a way to pay for the advanced trainings. I really wanted to sign up for them. Had a had a credit card I would have probably maxed it out, but I don't have credit available. However I see maybe I could borrow from my mom. If this doesn't work out it could financially devestate her so this is why I'm holding back. I'm looking to other possiblities for training. I know that with the right guidence I could really kick some but because I'm very determined, motivated, and willing to learn. I would really like to know how this turns out for you. "Lease Options" is one of the courses I wanted to take.

  • Residential Real Estate Broker · New Ipswich, NH · Member since 2009 · 26 posts · 3 votes
    17y

    My bf and I started the RD trainings months ago. We did the 3 day weekend as well as Rich U, we are still paying to take the next course. We did learn quite a bit from these workshops. We also went to the annual forum in Florida a couple of weeks ago. However, we paid for the forum without knowing what was going to be taught or who the speakers would be. Out of 3 days of all day, hour long speakers, we left with minimal new information. It was basically a 3 day sales pitch from other companies. Looking back now, we are wondering if our money wouldn't have been better spent elsewhere. We are at the point now where it's time to take action.

    I am not against RD, but if I had to do it over again, I would have stuck with the motivation we got from the book and used the money we spent on training to purchase a property.

    Just my opinion :)

  • Real Estate Investor · Myrtle creek , OR · Member since 2008 · 343 posts · 13 votes
    17y
    Originally posted by Desiree Hughes:
    My bf and I started the RD trainings months ago. We did the 3 day weekend as well as Rich U, we are still paying to take the next course. We did learn quite a bit from these workshops. We also went to the annual forum in Florida a couple of weeks ago. However, we paid for the forum without knowing what was going to be taught or who the speakers would be. Out of 3 days of all day, hour long speakers, we left with minimal new information. It was basically a 3 day sales pitch from other companies. Looking back now, we are wondering if our money wouldn't have been better spent elsewhere. We are at the point now where it's time to take action.

    I am not against RD, but if I had to do it over again, I would have stuck with the motivation we got from the book and used the money we spent on training to purchase a property.

    Just my opinion :)


    Right on Desiree, The Guru courses cannot teach you anything that you cannot learn for free on BP. Their practice of encouraging you to max out your credit cards to pay for their courses lowers your credit scores and may prevent you from obtaining financing. You are much better off using your hard earned dollars to actually invest. The guru"s prey on the newbies fear of the unknown, don't fall for it. Jim
  • San Antonio, TX · Member since 2009 · 3k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    17y

    I'd stick with the books. There's a wealth of information in books - you can always go to your local library and check them out for free. The key to success in anything is really going out there and applying the knowledge you learn. Hope that helps!

  • Real Estate Investor · Jacksonville, FL · Member since 2009 · 49 posts · 5 votes
    17y

    My husband and I are in the beginning stages of the Rich Dad Coaching, and so far so good...We have been into his books, the game Cash Flow 101, and we have learned alot. We have taken some action steps, however, we still don't have our first property, but we will have it this year. So, I will keep you posted on whether or not, RD helps with that. But, ultimately, it is up to us. WE HAVE TO TAKE ACTION!

  • CA · Member since 2009 · 2 posts · 0 votes
    17y

    I'm at the very beginning as well. I have attended the RDPD 3-day seminar last weekend and didn't sign up for any advanced classes. I first chose to learn through books, audio CDs and by attending local REI meetings - today will be my first. You're right Ariane, it's all about taking action!

  • Wholesaler · Baton Rouge, LA · Member since 2008 · 471 posts · 98 votes
    17y

    See below a email I just sent to my Rich Dad REI Coach. Obviously I am very disappointed in the program and wasted a lot of money.

    Rich Dad Coach,

    I am sitting here writing this email to you to express my disappointment in the lack of my results not generated through the entire Rich Dad Real Estate Coaching. I know you've had the best of intentions throughout our discussions but I never felt that we ever got on track with a concise and systematic plan to get me where I
    wanted to be in terms of closing some real estate transactions.

    I had very high expectations and was given very "glowing" examples/discussions early on with Jon Clegg who sold me on the coaching program which was very expensive in excess of $6200. I told Jon my expectations of being able to close deals within 30 days and gave him my financial goal of $30,000/month within 1year. I really feel that he lead me down the road and told me whatever he needed to for me to sign up. The honest feeling I have at the moment is that I was "ripped off". He reassured me over and over again how realistic my goals were and that many people had being able to do that.

    Then I started my coaching sessions and as you know I changed coaches after the 2nd session and you became my coach. Every session we had I felt as if you were just randomly giving me suggestions that truly had no clear action plan and as a result of that I have had no success.

    I am sending you this email to you before I call Rich Dad Coaching directly to express my extreme dissatisfaction with the entire course and regret ever paying such a large amount of money for such little help.

    I know real estate investing can be profitable but the Rich Dad Coaching training I've received has done little to move me in that direction. I am very frustrated and was really counting on REI to get me out of the "Rat Race" as Kiyosaki talks about over and over again in his books and presentations.

    This overall experience has caused me a considerable amount of anxiety and made me add it to my long list of failed attempts to achieve the financial freedom I so desperately want. At 62 years of age with my investment portfolio decreasing by 38% in the last year, I was really counting on REI to become a prominent part of my overall plan to put me on a stable platform to generate significant income for my semi retirement and supplement everything else.

    My wife was against my investment in this program but I forcefully overrode her warnings and went on anyway and now I face the reality that she was right and I never should have done this in the first place. Now we've added to our overall debt by my financing the Rich Dad Coaching program on my Am EX card and it is severely impacting our month to month living expenses that already were stretched to the
    limit.

    I'll close by saying I appreciate your efforts albeit they were not effective in getting me to where I wanted to be at this time. I will call Rich Dad Coaching and express my regrets and disappointment and likely submit negative feedback through whatever channels I can use to warn other people who are contemplating
    going down this path.

    Sincerely,

  • Real Estate Investor · OH · Member since 2008 · 4k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    17y

    Robert,

    At this point, you understand the truth about the RE Gurus and these ridiculous mentoring and coaching programs. In all honesty, you got what you should have expected, which is some minimum wage worker reading to you from a script. Ask yourself, if someone was successful in real estate, why would they be in a call center reading from a script? Hopefully you have learned a valuable lesson and you won't waste any more money on this "guru" nonsense.

    Having said that, you have no excuse for not succeeding in real estate investing. Here at BiggerPockets, you have successful REAL investors who are making money in the various real estate businesses. The answer to virtually every problem you will enounter in real estate is right here on these forums, and they are not coming from some bozo reading from a script.

    What exactly is keeping you from becoming a successful investor? If you ask your questions here and tell us your problems, we'll be happy to help!

    Your goal of $30,000 per month in 1 year is ridiculous (sorry to be blunt). However, a more modest goal is certainly achievable. About 5 years ago, I was in largely the same situation as you are now. I owned a successful business that generated a good cash flow, but I didn't have anything for retirement. Five years later (after a LOT OF HARD WORK), I am now semi-retired and have a significant retirement (through equity in my rentals).

    The bottom line is that you can do it, but you've got to get in the REAL WORLD and get out of guru fantasyland!

    Good Luck,

    Mike

  • Real Estate Investor · Edmonton, Alberta · Member since 2009 · 4 posts · 0 votes
    17y

    Robert,

    I'm kind of curious about the mentoring. Was it a mentor that comes and sits with you for 3 days helping you out and then you have access to him afterward as much as you want? Or was it the coaching calls where you talk to someone once a week who's supposed to help you in real estate over the phone?

    Sorry to read about the problems you're having. Did you take any courses at all? Or was it the mentor alone?

    I hope things get better for you.

    Julie

  • Altus, OK · Member since 2008 · 2k+ posts · 690 votes
    17y

    Robert they tell you that because they feed off of your goals and desires. They keep your hopes up while they continue to suck money from you. Hell if you were to tell them is it realistic to make $10M a year they will tell you yeah sure so as long as you keep giving us money. And the more money you give them the more they continue to tell you what you want to hear but they don't produce their promises.

    And when you decide you want out they tell you that you're a quitter and quitters never make money and if you leave you will never make it in REI. So they feed off your guilt trip and desperation until you are so far into the hole feeding their lies and BS it's too late and you're out of money.

    That's why I can't stand aholes like John Beck,Russ Whitney,Russ Dulbey and other shysters in the business that their main motive is to suck money not to teach you anything.

    Which is why always ALWAYS check to see if any mentor or education product is feasible and worth the time and money. I made some mistakes not doing that but luckily it didn't cost me much.

    Robert stick around BP there are a lot of investors here that for free(can't beat that price)will get you where you want to go all you have to do is ask.

  • Jeff TumbarelloPro Member
    Real Estate Broker · Fort Myers, FL · Member since 2008 · 1k+ posts · 323 votes
    17y
    Originally posted by Robert Burns:
    See below a email I just sent to my Rich Dad REI Coach. Obviously I am very disappointed in the program and wasted a lot of money.

    Rich Dad Coach,

    I am sitting here writing this email to you to express my disappointment in the lack of my results not generated through the entire Rich Dad Real Estate Coaching. I know you've had the best of intentions throughout our discussions but I never felt that we ever got on track with a concise and systematic plan to get me where I
    wanted to be in terms of closing some real estate transactions.

    I had very high expectations and was given very "glowing" examples/discussions early on with Jon Clegg who sold me on the coaching program which was very expensive in excess of $6200. I told Jon my expectations of being able to close deals within 30 days and gave him my financial goal of $30,000/month within 1year. I really feel that he lead me down the road and told me whatever he needed to for me to sign up. The honest feeling I have at the moment is that I was "ripped off". He reassured me over and over again how realistic my goals were and that many people had being able to do that.

    Then I started my coaching sessions and as you know I changed coaches after the 2nd session and you became my coach. Every session we had I felt as if you were just randomly giving me suggestions that truly had no clear action plan and as a result of that I have had no success.

    I am sending you this email to you before I call Rich Dad Coaching directly to express my extreme dissatisfaction with the entire course and regret ever paying such a large amount of money for such little help.

    I know real estate investing can be profitable but the Rich Dad Coaching training I've received has done little to move me in that direction. I am very frustrated and was really counting on REI to get me out of the "Rat Race" as Kiyosaki talks about over and over again in his books and presentations.

    This overall experience has caused me a considerable amount of anxiety and made me add it to my long list of failed attempts to achieve the financial freedom I so desperately want. At 62 years of age with my investment portfolio decreasing by 38% in the last year, I was really counting on REI to become a prominent part of my overall plan to put me on a stable platform to generate significant income for my semi retirement and supplement everything else.

    My wife was against my investment in this program but I forcefully overrode her warnings and went on anyway and now I face the reality that she was right and I never should have done this in the first place. Now we've added to our overall debt by my financing the Rich Dad Coaching program on my Am EX card and it is severely impacting our month to month living expenses that already were stretched to the
    limit.





    I'll close by saying I appreciate your efforts albeit they were not effective in getting me to where I wanted to be at this time. I will call Rich Dad Coaching and express my regrets and disappointment and likely submit negative feedback through whatever channels I can use to warn other people who are contemplating
    going down this path.

    Sincerely,







    Call Amex and charge it back
  • Real Estate Investor · Edmonton, Alberta · Member since 2009 · 4 posts · 0 votes
    17y

    Will Amex really do that?

  • Wholesaler · Baton Rouge, LA · Member since 2008 · 471 posts · 98 votes
    17y

    Jeff,

    I signed up for the RD Coaching Course last Fall. Do you really think AmEX will help me? RD has a no refund policy.

  • Real Estate Investor · Edmonton, Alberta · Member since 2009 · 1 post · 0 votes
    17y

    Hey everyone,

    Like all of you, i've wondered how efficient the RDPD seminars are. Paying 5000$ for valuable knowledge isn't acutally that expensive. I've spent over 15000$ for 3 years at a School of business. So let me know if any of you have attended recently, and share your two cents.

    If you guys know of any other resources of Real estate (Like some books you've liked, or other seminars) feel free to share.

    If your looking to start investing in the market, which I have done, and you have no idea how to, here are books i've read to help me understand how everything works.

    - Fundementals of corporate Finance- Mcgraw-Hill Ryerson(its a beginning textbook for university finance, but it defines everything in depth)
    - The Intelligent investor (Ben Graham)

    And good luck on making $$$!

  • Real Estate Investor · Santa Monica, CA · Member since 2009 · 70 posts · 5 votes
    17y
    Originally posted by Robert Burns:
    ............ Do you really think AmEX will help me? RD has a no refund policy.

    Robert~

    I agree with Jeff. Contact Amex and get it back. If you need help with that, contact me. I have had a similar experience, years ago (different company, less money). But I received every penny back. So, it's doable...

    Also, since you seem to be from LA.... if you would like to get started in your own state give me a call. I have some suggestions for you.

    Good luck!

    Conny

  • San Diego · Member since 2009 · 3 posts · 1 vote
    17y

    All -

    I went to the 3-day course and found it helpful but not worth it to proceed. I think there are tons outlets for investors and you have to find out with one make the most sense for your needs. In the short I have spend investing the most important tools I always come back to is DUE DILIGENCE .. never take anyone's information @ face value really! And to really learn something try it out .. don't wait!!

  • Real Estate Investor · North Central Arkansas · Member since 2009 · 509 posts · 178 votes
    17y

    The bottom line with anything is that YOU have to take action. Training is what you make it.

    I went to a Rich Dad 3 day course for $495 and did not get the high pressure that people have talked about on here. There we're 3 different people from the Rich Dad company at the training, one was the trainer and the other 2 we're assisting. Each of them gave us lots of one on one time during breaks and before and after classes. In the end we did not sign up for the advanced training because we could not afford it for one, but also because I figured we could just get out there and do it, make mistakes and learn.

    Overall I personally am very happy with the class we took. Another good thing is that we showed our credit report and financial statement to the trainers, they took a lot of their own time to help us with our goals and tell us what they would do if they we're in our situation. Also, the trainer gave us FREE info on credit repair on his own time before one of the classes started. This guy was good and VERY knowledgeable with Real Estate and Credit Repair (he owned a credit repair company previously).

    I'm sorry to hear that not everyone had the same experience that we did. We plan on continuing our education as we go, with Rich Dad or someone else (depending on the course). I personally feel that we'll never stop our education. I hated school but really enjoy learning new and creative ways to make money in this or any other type of economy.

    Jeff

  • Member since 2009 · 12 posts · 0 votes
    17y

    The reality is that you learn by doing, did you learn how to ride a bike by going to a seminar? No, you learned by falling down and skinning your knees, then you got up and did it again. Education classes are your training wheels but until you actually get out there and do it you will not learn how to really be successful.

  • Residential Real Estate Broker · New Ipswich, NH · Member since 2009 · 26 posts · 3 votes
    17y
    Originally posted by Milton Cowaskar:
    The reality is that you learn by doing, did you learn how to ride a bike by going to a seminar? No, you learned by falling down and skinning your knees, then you got up and did it again. Education classes are your training wheels but until you actually get out there and do it you will not learn how to really be successful.


    Well Said!
  • Real Estate Investor · Conway AR, AR · Member since 2008 · 15 posts · 0 votes
    17y

    Hey guys. I’ve glanced through all of the posts, and just wanted to add that I feel the RDPD is a great book to motivate you, but as for their seminars just save your money. They keep telling you that the next seminar will give you the secret and that it’s double the price. Robert Kiyosaki must be a good Real Estate Investor but to me his expertise as a salesman are far more superior. Like I said, it seems everyone else has had my experience with RDPD.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.