Can someone please explain sub3 financing to me?

Can someone please explain sub3 financing to me?

Accountant · greenwell springs, LA · Member since 2009 · 177 posts · 43 votes

i don't understand how it differs from buying sub 2 and then selling using owner financing? thanks in advance for your help.

0
Topic locked
240 views

77 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Manhattan, NY · Member since 2008 · 801 posts · 61 votes
    17y
    Originally posted by David Alexander:
    Lol...

    Then you didnt' talk to any of my folks..

    Because if you did...

    You would be quietly amazed...

    I know they keep their mouth closed..

    Or you simply talked to someone that didn't understand it and thought of it just like you do.. (meaning they haven't been through the training and are just speculating as you are... lol).

    No, they provided proof they took the training. Could they have fooled us? Well, anything is possible, but... let's just leave that there, k?

    Taz... It doesn't matter to me what you think...

    The sub3 term was created by a friend of mine as I said...

    Because it isn't sub2...

    Yes, I know you say it isn't subject to because you don't actually buy the property, yadda yadda yadda. I know the person buying the property to live in actually assumes the note, yadda yadda yadda. I know you are in the note business, yadda yadda yadda.

    It isn't new, my grandfather was doing this 80+ years ago and my parents 40+. Heck, even I did a few back in the day when you really could FULLY assume any loan without bank approval. Then it was just FHA/VA, then just VA, now they all have DOSC they only sporadically enforce.


    Not even close! I have paperwork buying property subject to the existing financing from 1984. The first time I heard the "sub2" term was when Robert Allen was clumsily trying to teach people to sound a bit like an auctioneer at one of his free seminars in 1985. I can still remember his crappy pitch, "Gotta say it fast so they think it is a normal term and not ask you to explain it." ROFL! Ah, the entertainment value of gurus is immense sometimes. Too bad Robert Allen went bankrupt taking his own advice...

    twice.

    Anyway, as I said, my curiosity has been satisfied.

    Of course, I do have a bit of an advantage here...

    Nah, pointless.

    0
    Topic locked
  • Manhattan, NY · Member since 2008 · 801 posts · 61 votes
    17y
    Originally posted by nationwidepi:
    Taz = King of DD
    (Due Diligence)

    As usual, nice leg work Taz. You remain my hero in this category! :lol:

    LOL! Thanks, but as I explained on the phone, it is all the quick and hard work of the research team that makes me look good.
    0
    Topic locked
  • Residential Real Estate Broker · Payson, AZ · Member since 2009 · 3k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    17y
    Originally posted by David Alexander:


    Sub2 is really a stupid term for what sub2 is... and was coined after buying property "subject to the existing lien" back over 10 years ago by me and a few others on one of the larger real estate sites back then as we didn't know know what to call that technique or how to ask questions about it..





    just so I'm clear, are you claiming YOU and a few others 'coined' the term Sub2?

    back to the originally scheduled program. :mrgreen:

    0
    Topic locked
  • Will BarnardPro Member
    Moderator
    Developer · Santa Clarita, CA · Member since 2008 · 15k+ posts · 10k+ votes
    17y
    Originally posted by Nick Johnson:
    Originally posted by David Alexander:


    Sub2 is really a stupid term for what sub2 is... and was coined after buying property "subject to the existing lien" back over 10 years ago by me and a few others on one of the larger real estate sites back then as we didn't know know what to call that technique or how to ask questions about it..





    just so I'm clear, are you claiming YOU and a few others 'coined' the term Sub2?


    back to the originally scheduled program. :mrgreen:
    Never ceases to amaze me how people have the audacity and arrogance to claim THEY named something or "coined a phrase" when they have not even been in the business for as long as the name or term has existed!

    Give us all a break and shorten your posts David as they are all long and say absolutely nothing.

    0
    Topic locked
  • Red Oak, TX · Member since 2009 · 44 posts · 2 votes
    17y

    Yep..

    I'm pretty dog gone sure
    we were the first to call it that..

    Actually "sub to" I think without the 2... then the 2 appeared... it was late 90's...

    ( I had a website where I sold a course and added the 2 to it, it sold for $197 back then)

    Now, if you held a gun to my head and said are you only ones couldn't say... ???

    Just know we stupidly called "buying houses "subject to" the existing liens sub to... or "sub 2" and it sorta became a technique of sorts..

    I mean it already was... but, then it had a name... at least in the places we were on the internet...

    Before then the older guys and mentors... simply understood it... as what it was... as they had been doing it for years and years...

    and it was simply a way they filled out a purchase agreement leaving loans, etc.. in place...

    They simply knew you just left the loan in place... there was no name for the technique...

    We would ask... How do you buy "sub to" thinking of it as a speicific technique... when it was really just another way to acquire properties if you were savy enough to negotiate it that way......

    I actually think it was a friend of mine that coined the term the first time...

    and it was a thing then...

    If some of you have been around for awhile then you will remember the name Jim Piper... one of the smartest real estate guys I've ever known...

    If I remember right he answered a post mine or someone else's with... with are you talking about... buying houses subject to the existing lien...

    Uh.. yeah...

    Anyway.. for him it was a laugh... that we asked it as if it was a specific technique with a name...

    0
    Topic locked
  • Red Oak, TX · Member since 2009 · 44 posts · 2 votes
    17y

    Oops.... Taz...

    Your wrong again....

    No one assumes anything.. (well, accept you)

    And if you read my last post you'll see I say just that.. that we were laughed at for giving it a name...

    Who knows maybe Robert Allen did call it that back in the 80's...

    And mabye we (my friend started it.. before you look up the post and hold that against me.. lol )

    Regardless... We didn't know... I was too young in the eighties and real estate was the last thing on my mind....

    But, everything pre 89' some pre 88 was all Non Qualifying Assumable anyway... so, it didn't really matter if you took if subject to or not...

    It was really a non issue...

    So, Taz... I believe you whether you heard Robert Allen say it or not...

    Truthfully doesn't matter to me...

    I'm not trying to make it a claim to fame... lol...

    And I know that when we called it that again.. it was more of a joke to the older guys.... Hey maybe that's why...

    Maybe they had heard Robert Allen call it that... and couldnt believe we were too...

    Who knows..

    But, regardless... Your understanding of sub3 is still not what you think it is...

    We are not buying the note...

    Although in the original incarnation that was one way we thought it would work to skin the cat... It just didnt' solve the problem...

    Only would have solved part of it...

    And what does Robert Allen filing Bk have to do with anything...

    Cracks me up when folks use the.. Well so and so filed BK so their info isn't any good...

    If their one thing I've learned through the years....

    One sometimes you crack the egg shells too hard when you decide to cook them....

    And that's ok.... because it's better to be in the game...

    And in the game... is where the experience is....

    And in those experiences... mistakes.. not that I'd call a Bk a mistake...

    (and No.. I've never filed a Bk... knock on wood)

    But, I wanna learn from the folks who've been in the trenches...

    And have scars... to prove it...

    Because after all is said and done...

    It ain't easy..... always...

    And you gotta be strong to survive...

    0
    Topic locked
  • Manhattan, NY · Member since 2008 · 801 posts · 61 votes
    17y
    Originally posted by David Alexander:
    We are not buying the note...

    Go back and read what I wrote, I did not say you bought the note, now did I?

    And what does Robert Allen filing Bk have to do with anything...

    Cracks me up when folks use the.. Well so and so filed BK so their info isn't any good...

    If their one thing I've learned through the years....

    One sometimes you crack the egg shells too hard when you decide to cook them....

    And that's ok.... because it's better to be in the game...

    And in the game... is where the experience is....

    And in those experiences... mistakes.. not that I'd call a Bk a mistake...

    (and No.. I've never filed a Bk... knock on wood)

    But, I wanna learn from the folks who've been in the trenches...

    And have scars... to prove it...

    Because after all is said and done...

    It ain't easy..... always...

    And you gotta be strong to survive...

    Oh Geez, next you will say you aren't falling down just falling forward when you fail trying something new. :roll:

    BTW, I've been doing this a long time and I've seen a lot come and go...

    If you have to "fake it before you make it" you aren't ever going to make it.

    David, do the words, "Apprenticeship Program" sound the least bit familiar to you? Don't bother answering here. Just think about it for a little while.

    0
    Topic locked
  • Real Estate Consultant · Bear Creek, AL · Member since 2009 · 5 posts · 0 votes
    17y

    Wow, so many confused folks giving judgment to something they
    do not understand.

    I'm a student of David's, but seeing this is my first post here, I'm not sure that'll hold any weight amongst the group. I do, however, have over 1,100 on one and a few hundred on several others...does that count? :)

    But all I can say is:
    - yes, "sub3" is different and better than doing "sub2s".
    Let's just say he's cured me from doing anymore sub2s..which was my main niche since 2003.
    - no, Taz, you don't assume any loans.
    - David's program is the real deal. Believe me, I've spent countless $1,000s on REI stuff when I first got the "bug" in 2000. He puts alot of time and effort into what he shares. So whatever he charges for the course, it is WELL worth it. Too many positives to mention.

    It's also evident that the perception here is different from those (like me) that deal with David on a regular basis.
    But anyone that actually KNOWS him will vouch for him.

    I'm also curious, Taz, to know who it was you spoke to concerning the intricacies of sub3.
    And did you "make it worth their while", as you claimed you would? If so, how?

    No disrespect to anyone here, but I figured I would chime in...coming from someone who actually gets it.

    0
    Topic locked
  • Red Oak, TX · Member since 2009 · 44 posts · 2 votes
    17y

    Not exactly sure what
    you're eluding to...

    And your faking it till you make it...

    Absolutely... folks do that when they start...

    I most certainly did.. I knew nothing and had to feel my way through it...

    Nothing scarier when you are starting than talking to a seller wondering if they are going to figure out you've got no money and not exactly sure what you are doing...

    So, you fake it... the best you can....

    Till you don't have to....

    Of course I'm sure you've always know it all...

    You much better than me...

    And failing forward... it's an absolute must... !!

    Learning to get back on the horse is huge...

    As well as learning as much as you can from others... so, you can avoid it as well..

    Apprenticeship program.. not sure...

    I don't have one...

    So, nope not sure...

    Taz.. were you on the Apprentice?

    :)

    And if so.. why are you hiding behind the little square... Your Famous!

    By the way... Taz is one of my sorta things I collect from time to time... in fact my daughter just bought me a Taz Tshirt the other day...

    0
    Topic locked
  • Real Estate Agent · Tampa, FL · Member since 2009 · 456 posts · 123 votes
    17y

    i'm sorry but this is like the 3rd or fourth time that someone has scrutinized david's stuff and every time, someone magically appears with a post count of 1 to stick up for him. just an observation.

    0
    Topic locked
  • Manhattan, NY · Member since 2008 · 801 posts · 61 votes
    17y
    Originally posted by Jason Williams:
    - no, Taz, you don't assume any loans.

    By definition, with sub-anything you don't formally assume the loan. You do assume the moral responsibility to make the payment. Well, in the case of the "sub3", the ultimate buyer assumes that moral responsibility.
    I'm also curious, Taz, to know who it was you spoke to concerning the intricacies of sub3.
    And did you "make it worth their while", as you claimed you would? If so, how?

    Yes, actually I am compensating them for talking with us. How I am doing that is of no business of yours.

    However, you might be interested in how we discussed these things. We had our attorney on the line when we conversed and we made it very clear we did not want any of the materials, nor any proprietary secrets or anything like that. We were not looking for them to explain the program to us in any way.

    The ground rules were simple, with each one we detailed our understanding of a different PART of what I suspected and simply asked for a yes or no reply. They answered yes where we expected and even more importantly no where we expected.

    None taken. I hope he sells a butt-load of seats for his training. Flipping sub2s is a good business model for anyone. Creating the notes is a good plan too.

    But, it isn't new and he didn't "invent" it any more than Al Gore invented the internet.

    0
    Topic locked
  • Real Estate Consultant · Bear Creek, AL · Member since 2009 · 5 posts · 0 votes
    17y
    Originally posted by Corey Demuth:
    i'm sorry but this is like the 3rd or fourth time that someone has scrutinized david's stuff and every time, someone magically appears with a post count of 1 to stick up for him. just an observation.


    Did you not see my 2nd sentence?
    Would you like me to invite you to the several other forums where I have more posts?
    Given this, I understand your observation.

    We're all reading your responses on the sub3 forum, and we find it...I dunno...funny because of the mis-information and confusion, yet insulting given some of the comments made.
    0
    Topic locked
  • Real Estate Consultant · Bear Creek, AL · Member since 2009 · 5 posts · 0 votes
    17y

    Apparently, the conglomerate of folks that filled you in were incorrect, as you don't flip sub2s.
    I wouldn't say that's how a "sub3" transaction works.

    But, if you do know, then spare everyone here amongst the boards and reveal it.
    As you said, nothing is new.

    0
    Topic locked
  • Joshua D.Pro Member
    BiggerPockets Founder · HI · Member since 2008 · 16k+ posts · 5k+ votes
    17y

    Folks - please stay on task and keep the conversation cordial. You're welcome to disagree with one another, debate, etc, but I don't want this discussion to get out of control. Do NOT get personal, please.

    Thank you.

    0
    Topic locked
  • Red Oak, TX · Member since 2009 · 44 posts · 2 votes
    17y

    Too funny....

    I had a friend that received the same
    phone call....

    And he told them... sorta the same thing...

    And just agreed with them so they'd go away...

    Nope we don't flip sub2's...

    It ain't nothing like that...

    Trust me... if you truly knew what it was...

    You'd be "keeping you mouth shut as well... "

    And emailing me saying... Wow!

    Who'd ever thunk of that...

    And Taz... the only reason I say that... is because I've just read a few of your posts...

    You are a smart cookie... But, trust me when I say....

    This is... That different...

    Now, let's let this thread die...

    0
    Topic locked
  • Manhattan, NY · Member since 2008 · 801 posts · 61 votes
    17y
    Originally posted by David Alexander:
    Apprenticeship program.. not sure...

    I don't have one...

    So, nope not sure...

    Thanks, you answered my question. :wink:


    Uh, no. I have even less tolerance for bad toupees than I do for grandiose overreaching claims of having invented techniques and coined phrases.


    I think the WB Taz has a unique way of cutting through the superfluous stuff around him focusing on the one simple and very obvious thing in front of him. Wouldn't you agree?
    0
    Topic locked
  • Real Estate Investor · Vero Beach, FL · Member since 2008 · 268 posts · 89 votes
    17y

    Good grief....another book of bashing David Alexander and the SUB 3 program.

    PS let me say, that I am a student of David's......:)

    0
    Topic locked
  • Real Estate Consultant · Bear Creek, AL · Member since 2009 · 5 posts · 0 votes
    17y

    Spinning around in a state of confusion, coupled with
    mindless babble comes to mind. :wink:

    0
    Topic locked
  • Red Oak, TX · Member since 2009 · 44 posts · 2 votes
    17y

    Sometimes....

    It's seems obvious... but, it's not what you think....

    But, Hey I still believe there or things in this world we don't know for sure...

    Bigfoot
    Loch Ness
    How the pyramids were built

    I'm unfortunately not quite to a point where I know everything yet...

    But, here's to failing forward...

    And faking it till you make it!!

    0
    Topic locked
  • Manhattan, NY · Member since 2008 · 801 posts · 61 votes
    17y

    I had a long winded reply, but...

    Ah, never mind.

    0
    Topic locked
  • Residential Real Estate Broker · Payson, AZ · Member since 2009 · 3k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    17y

    Taz.....................what city are you in?

    I'd like to stop by just to look at that piece of history you mentioned before you deleted you long winded reply

    0
    Topic locked
  • Manhattan, NY · Member since 2008 · 801 posts · 61 votes
    17y
    Originally posted by Nick Johnson:
    Taz.....................what city are you in?

    I'd like to stop by just to look at that piece of history you mentioned before you deleted you long winded reply

    Those hang on the wall in my NC office right outside of Raleigh.

    They are pretty cool, handwritten with no errors, strikeouts or misspellings. Well, no misspellings given how things were spelled THEN. And big red wax seals proving the taxes to the crown were paid. I wish I had the deed that was part of the transaction too but if wishes were horses...

    0
    Topic locked
  • Real Estate Investor · OH · Member since 2008 · 4k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    17y

    This is SO RIDICULOUS! THERE ARE NO SECRETS IN REAL ESTATE INVESTING!!!!!!! It's that simple. I don't care whether you're buying or selling the property; buying or selling a note; creating a note; buying or selling subject to the existing financing; buying or selling with owner financing - IT HAS ALL BEEN DONE BEFORE. There is NOTHING new here.

    Let me help you out with the things you don't know:

    There is no Bigfoot.

    There is no Loch Ness Monster.

    There are no secrets to real estate investing.

    The pyramids were built one block at a time.

    Mike

    0
    Topic locked
  • Residential Real Estate Broker · Payson, AZ · Member since 2009 · 3k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    17y
    Originally posted by Taz:
    Originally posted by Nick Johnson:
    Taz.....................what city are you in?

    I'd like to stop by just to look at that piece of history you mentioned before you deleted you long winded reply

    Those hang on the wall in my NC office right outside of Raleigh.

    They are pretty cool, handwritten with no errors, strikeouts or misspellings. Well, no misspellings given how things were spelled THEN. And big red wax seals proving the taxes to the crown were paid. I wish I had the deed that was part of the transaction too but if wishes were horses...



    that would be worth the trip!

    0
    Topic locked
  • Real Estate Investor · Vero Beach, FL · Member since 2008 · 268 posts · 89 votes
    17y

    Secrets vs HOW TO.....

    This has not been done before I can attest to that and before someone jumps down on me just be sure you know what you are talking about.

    My deeds are recorded in public record.

    0
    Topic locked