Chris McClatchey Multi-famly Guru Beware?

Chris McClatchey Multi-famly Guru Beware?

Investor · Overland Park, KS · Member since 2016 · 11 posts · 6 votes

Has anyone else had a bad experience with this guy?  He is another 'no money down' guy, but as a student after paying thousands of dollars, he was never available, never answered my questions, and pawned all of his mentoring off to other people.

1Reply
197 views

Most Popular Reply

Spring, TX · Member since 2016 · 243 posts · 203 votes
9y

So nice of Chris and staff to come on here and vouch for themselves!

See this reply in the discussion

69 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Investor · Boston, MA · Member since 2015 · 1k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    9y

     @Cody L. I was thinking the same thing! Better than what's on Netflix these days. 

    @Kevin Coggins, In May 2016 @Michael G. became the owner of the Equus Properties; however, the LLC isn't in good standing with the MD Sec of State so...I'll just leave it at that.

  • Real Estate Investor · Rockville, MD · Member since 2016 · 6 posts · 2 votes
    9y

    That means my fee to MD for $300 hasn't been applied yet.  I just wholesaled a deal last month for $10,000 with Realty Title of Tysons, Inc. Are you through bullying me or are you ready for me to start bullying you?  

  • Cocoa Beach, FL · Member since 2017 · 1 post · 2 votes
    9y

    I am a Real Estate Broker, a CCIM and also hold a State Certified General Contractor's License all here in the State of Florida. So, I completely understand the level of Ethics required by this State to hold a Professional License like Chris' License to practice law. In my personal opinion there is no way Chris would conduct himself as you have described. As we say in the Construction Industry, I call BS!

    During my career I have taken many educational courses including Chris'. My experience with Chris was quite the opposite of what you are describing. During my time as a student, Chris was always available, never mislead me in anyway and was forthright and honest about the deals I found, the information I presented and his evaluation of my personal performance.

    I don't buy  what you are selling. Maybe you want to look in the mirror and have a honest chat with yourself. You are lucky Chris is a nice guy. If I was a Lawyer and you posted crap like this about me, I'd sue you for fun!!

  • Investor · Boston, MA · Member since 2015 · 1k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    9y

    @Michael G. I'm ready for whatever life has to throw at me. Though I thought I was done being bullied when I left middle school, but every new day is full of surprises!

    I didn't intend for my comment to 'bully' you, but point out a fact I found germane to the conversation. Its unfortunate you took exception to the fact that your LLC is not in good standing, nor did I ask for the reasons or the amount of your last deal.

     Congratulations though on the successful wholesale.

  • Jay HinrichsBusiness Member
    Real Estate Consultant · Summerlin, NV · Member since 2014 · 45k+ posts · 66k+ votes
    9y

    @Edward Perkins  just out of sheer curiosity.. what exactly does one hope to learn when they sign up for this course.

    I hear one guy say he wholesaled a property .. one talk about multi family... lots of educators out there.. and of course lots of them just selling rehashed courses that can be bought on amazon for 50.00 bucks..  but I think if one is looking for one on one training from a proven accomplished investor... your going to pay some pretty big money.. One group I know in SC spent probably low 6 figures for training but that trainer only took on like 10 students at a time... and it was very hands on and very thourough for a an entire year... And he and his wife are up and running and doing well.. I know others that really like Lindahl ... And I have funded a bunch of Vertucci and Montalongo students who have done well.

    I think the issue with this whole paid training is simply.. not everyone can succeed.. Or at least with limited capital. If you have capital to invest a great commercial broker can help you buy multi... not sure If I am missing something there. If you have limited capital and your paying for training hoping to make a bunch of money because you learned something well it still dog tough and failure rate sky high.. just is . seen it the last 30 years I have been around it... just not for everyone.

  • Residential Real Estate Broker · Orlando, FL · Member since 2015 · 2 posts · 2 votes
    9y

    Hello Ed.  I am a broker and Agent with EXP Realty and have owned other RE companies.  I became a coaching student with Chris and Steve many years ago and found the experience fantastic and rewarding.  You get out of the coaching program what you put into it.. These gentlemen are honest and full of great ideas.  They changed the way I look at real estate deals, that is for sure!  They should be charging more for all their knowledge and great coaching!! - my opinion.     I learned much doing "no money down deals" as well as structuring deals with great partners.  Seller finance, multiple ways to legally structure a deal, and finding a exit strategy for myself and investors has been "more valuable" then all my other real estate training combined!!  Attend their seminars, invest in yourself, and do participate in their coaching programs!!  Worth every penny!  Thanks Chris and Steve for all you do for the investor community.  Russ 

  • Los Angeles, CA · Member since 2016 · 1 post · 0 votes
    9y

    I have been working on real estate investing for about a year now, and as many as I possibly could, have attended lectures, meet ups, seminars, and programs that seemed good or was recommended to me I respected people at my local REIA. My partner and I were interested in an opportunity that Ed was presenting through Chris McClatchey's program, and then things changed. I don't know what happened, but I can speak to my experience for the last nine months with Chris McClatchey, and everyone associated - staff and students alike. I have met only top-quality people associated with this program. This alone is probably worth being a student. His staff have been absolutely helpful and timely. And, as for Chris, he walks the talk. My consistent experience is he has impeccable integrity, he has done what he says, he is there constantly and quickly for advice and assistance, and he is doing everything he can for structuring an environment for people to be successful. Not really much else to say. I am grateful.

  • Las Vegas, NV · Member since 2016 · 1 post · 0 votes
    9y

    My husband and I have been affiliated with Real Wealth (i.e. Chris McClatchey and Steve Goldherz) since 2015 and have been students for a year.  We have traveled across the country to participate in his classes and workshops.  It took us over a year to commit to the coaching program as we were taken to the cleaners a number of years ago for a heck of a lot more than the cost of his program.  We have always received a timely call back whether we called Chris or Steve no matter where they were or what they were doing.  They have even called back on break when teaching.  Ethics is an extreme and key part of Chris' program. He has always been forthright and clear with regard to every aspect of our education and involvement.   We have never been disappointed and continue to reap the rewards of finding him.  Thank goodness for "meet up".  We may never have been aware of the opportunity to learn from Chris and Steve.  

  • Flipper · Morton, IL · Member since 2017 · 15 posts · 7 votes
    9y
    Jay Hinrichs Makes sense Jay. So, key take away is stop paying for teaching and get in touch with a good and reputable broker for building multi family business. I personally haven't paid for any training but wondered if there was anything to it. I'm young in the business and have acquired 4 single family homes, 1 duplex, and 1)4unit. I have studied what I have so far and the benifits of each. I like the equity build up in the single families and the cash flow in the multi units. I see a big benifit in the early stages to go after cash flow, so I am saving for more duplexes or small apartments. Do you have any advice on finding and creating a good relationship with commercial broker?
  • Phoenix, AZ · Member since 2017 · 1 post · 0 votes
    9y

    I have worked with Chris and Steve for a few years now and they go out of there way to make sure that questions are answered. I would text Steve if he is available for a question, and he would take 5-10 minutes out of his schedule to talk.

    About to close on an owner financing at 0% for 30 years, wanting the full payment after 5 years and $0 down. 

    We are going to flip these two houses within 3-4 months, reinvest the money while we pay the seller his monthly payment at 0% for 5 years..... 

    Can't thank you enough for all that you do, and keep up the great work and keeping our present community having morals, integrity, and character... 

  • Investor · Overland Park, KS · Member since 2016 · 11 posts · 6 votes
    9y

    Thanks Chris I'm on bigger pockets and giving an honest view of what you teach 

    I never said it didn't work it works better in a bad market imo

    There's nothing Chris teaches that isn't already on this website

    Apparantly I hit a nerve with Chris.

  • Investor · West Los Angeles, CA · Member since 2014 · 230 posts · 239 votes
    9y

    @Edward Perkins

    Thank you for giving your honest opinion.  Based on your opinion and how Chris reacted to the your honest review I would not work with his company.  It seems he's afraid of an honest review and has to mobilize a team to attack you and anyone who dares to disagree with him.  I personally think some of the positive reviews are fake.  And the fact they are trying intimidate people like @Bill F.   No thanks no need to work with this company.  

    Good luck in your real estate investing career.

  • Developer · Houston, TX · Member since 2015 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    9y

    I think it says something that most of Chris' students that have come to his defense just created their accounts today for the express purpose of rallying support. That's because someone who has spent more time on BP would not likely have needed to go get a guru as most of what is taught is within easy reach on this website. 

    I know everyone learns differently but if everyone who wanted to get into real estate would just put their checkbook away temporarily and just read 2-3 hours a day on this site for a month, I don't think they'd ever pull that check back out.

  • Scottsdale, AZ · Member since 2014 · 5 posts · 0 votes
    9y

    Former Student of Chris McClatchey ... Thank you, Chris, for keeping the requirements for submitting deals black and white. 

    There are enough "gray" areas when investing in Real Estate. I am a former RE Investor and now an Amazon Merchant Seller. What I LOVE about Chris is that as a former member in good standing, his team still to this day (years down the road, mind you) send me notifications about his deals for me to consider as a passive investor. 

    I love RE. At this point in my life not able to pursue it actively. There is NO SUBSTITUTE for hard work. Chop wood, carry water and do one right thing at a time. Over and over again. Vote of confidence for Chris from me. 

    Not all folks will even understand what I am saying, but I know Chris and many others will understand what I am saying. 

    If you don't get it, well, you likely never will. Thanks Chris, for caring so much about little details that keep your network protected. 

  • Investor · Denver, CO · Member since 2015 · 492 posts · 267 votes
    9y

    Bringing in "Students" into the BP community just to write a review? TOTALLY The wrong way to do this. Only way to gain ANY Credibility on here is to Participate in the Forums and Posts here. I don't trust a single one of you with your 1-5 posts total, all having to do with your Commercial about how good his training is. Looks like a bunch of FAKE Accounts. No one does business like this on BP. I see maybe 1-2 actual participating members actually comment. STOP COMMENTING HERE if you don't participate in the OTHER Discussions going on! 

  • Real Estate Investor · Encinitas, CA · Member since 2016 · 3k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    9y
    Yeah, BP is anti-guru for the most part. It should be! For this thread, maybe part of the reason for that is that students with a super-close relationship with the guru can't spell the last name of the guru properly. It reminds me of another string here recently (guru pitching a program) where he didn't even spell his own name correctly. I think Kevin Coggins knows whom I'm referencing. Good times on that thread as well. Communities need a healthy sense of skepticism when anyone wants to charge thousands of dollars for a "system". Especially when a portion of those systems offer to "help" potential students to apply for credit cards to use to pay for the system. When you combine that healthy skepticism with "loyal" "experienced" students who purport to have a great relationship with the mentioned guru...and can't spell the name correctly...well, you get what you get.
  • Investor · Overland Park, KS · Member since 2016 · 11 posts · 6 votes
    9y

    Yes, Chris is obviously using friends and family to attack my experience.  All which is true by the way.  He doesn't seem to handle honest criticism very well.  Here are more details of my experience:

    1.  I signed up last November.

    2.  Took a personality test, no explanation why it was given.  Never heard any feedback from it.

    3.  The 12 week sessions were 15 minutes long.  Not much time to learn anything in that time frame.  Chris was only there for one.

    4.  I e-mailed questions to Chris, mostly no response.  I learned to e-mail questions to Chris and his  associate Steve, to get response.  Steve was the only one of any help to me.  He is knowledgeable and great to work with.

    5.  I had a legal question for Steve, and he suggested I talk to Chris.  He actually took the call without having to go through his assistant!   The legal advice got me in trouble with many realtors and a call from the real estate commission.

    5. Chris actually did respond to one e-mail later (I guess Steve wasn't available), when I was asking for advice on how to do direct mail.  His one line response,  "Do what I taught in the course."

    I know this criticism is going to make Chris very "unhappy", but truth is truth.  I won't be surprised if the people running to his aid look like little yellow pills and wear overalls with goggles.

    What's awesome about this is that this is the most Chris has ever said anything to me, too bad it took going to a forum.

    The reason there are so many "new" one post Chris McClatchey disciples (plus Chris) that just happened to be online perusing Bigger Pockets on a Sunday morning is because I telegraphed to Chris that I was going to post to this forum.  So he put out the call to friends and family to rush to his aid.

  • Investor · Westland, MI · Member since 2011 · 21 posts · 3 votes
    9y

    First for all of those questioning the current posting students, go and see this post, it is over a year old and has comments from all over the country from seasoned BP members and pros about Chris and his organization:

    https://www.biggerpockets.com/forums/79/topics/153...

    Hence if you don't want to believe what this current thread offers relative to Real Wealth, Chris and their credibility read what non-students have posted about this organization from that post.

    Secondly, I have been a member on this forum since 2011: 

    Member since February 1, 2011 (last active 1 minute ago)

    and although I am not an active poster I have used this site endless times to find information and seek advice. 

    Now on to my experience with Chris, Steve and the staff at Real Wealth. I purchased Chris's mentoring program in October of 2014 which was effective for one year.

    To this very day I can call, email, text Chris, Steve or his staff and get a response (usually in multiple formats) within 24, yes I said 24 hours. Most of the time within hours, not days. Keeping in mind I am not paying nor have I paid anything to this organization since my mentoring program expired in October of 2015. When I started this program I had wholesaled one property and fixed and flipped one property with a seasoned JV partner, graduate of Than Merrill and lost money on this deal.

    Since working with Chris and Steve I have over 10 buy and hold rentals ALL free and clear and have wholesaled another dozen properties, two of which were owner financed at 0%. I attribute that success to only one organization and that is Real Wealth; their continued support, guidance, advice have had an active presence in the acquisition of these properties plus Chris, Steve and I have visited with each other on multiple occasions in Florida and Michigan where I am from. Furthermore I am 100% certain that if I were to contact them now, today I would get a timely response from them personally. (can't say that about any of my other "guru" connections

    Additionally, I am a member and participant in three local REIA groups in metro Detroit.

    Although many of you will discount my comments as I have always seen the value in educating myself and am willing to spend money for that purpose. I am certainly speaking from a point of expertise; relative to "gurus" and their promises/messages. I have seen and purchased various programs from *************, Ron Legrande, Larry Goins, Kent Clothier, Josh Cantwell, Robyn Thompson, Kathy Kennebrook, Cameron Dunlap, Than Merrill, Trevor Mauch, Diane Conklin, Duncan Weirman, Preston Ely, Lou Brown, Jerry Norton, Jay Conner, John Cochran, Josh Schoenly, Lance Edwards, Lee Arnold, Reggie Brooks, The Wolffe Couple and many others. Now, keep in mind I have only pursued coaching/mentoring from 3-4 of those mentioned above and all but one of them was considerably more expensive than Chris' program and in all cases the founder/speaker/guru was not my actual coach/mentor and in all cases I did not have the possibility of connecting with the guru directly and personally. Those programs that have since expired DO NOT OFFER continued support or guidance and hence I have no continued support with those organizations or people.

    So if asked who would I recommend, the #1, best, finest, most supportive, most committed, provides superior and timely responses; actively participates in the marketplace as an investor, hands down, top of the list would be Real Wealth, Steve and Chris.

    It's a shame that this thread has moved toward a tit for tat, less than productive exchange and hopefully none of you will choose to attack me as well?

    Finally, I will close with one simple remark to Ed Perkins. Ed, Chris has offered in multiple posts the opportunity to address these issues with you personally off this forum. Hopefully, you will move toward a positive solution for all involved and be able to return and post a equitable solution as the resolution to your original thoughts and thus end this discussion and the thread permanently.


  • Investor · Overland Park, KS · Member since 2016 · 11 posts · 6 votes
    9y

    Thanks Donna, 

    Glad you got good treatment, but that does not change any facts.

    He does do a good job rallying former students to his cause, I'll give him that.  It's a good campaign to drown out the truth.

  • Melbourne, FL · Member since 2015 · 22 posts · 28 votes
    9y

    @Edward Perkins  I'm sorry you have decided to continue this line of communication.  In an earlier post, I indicated I would let the forum know why you were removed from the group and your situation that gave rise to it.  I have reconsidered.  This is not the place and this Thread is not doing anyone any good.  

    I know you think I "rallied the troops", but I sent the email to almost 400 former students, not asking them to rally, but to give their honest opinion about the group and the coaching.  What I find interesting is that the only people complaining are non-coaching students.  Meaning, you would think that out of 400 students 1 or 2 might share your experience.  1 or 2 former students may be disgruntled. 1 or 2 students may have thought we were unavailable.  1 or 2 might have thought they overpaid for the program.  Yet while others (and yourself) are suggesting that these posts were solicited, not 1 of my former students came forward on your side.  That is what I find to be incredible.  

    Having said that, I am sorry you feel you had a bad experience.  I'm sorry the way things went down on your deal in the deal network.  I'm sorry you chose this forum to make everything public.  

    You are free to continue posting whatever you like.  I believe the fact that the other 375+ students have either posted positive things and/or the fact that nobody else sided with you is enough for me.  I know my program.  I know my students and more importantly, I know my program works for people who do things the right way.

    However, because I believe in doing business the right way and even though I am in no way obligated to, I am going to give you a FULL REFUND for every penny you paid to me in the coaching progam.  I don't need or want your money.  I am dropping a check in the mail to you today.  I hope you take that money and put it to good use and hopefully get out of your current situation.  I wish you luck in all your endeavors.

  • Real Estate Investor · Rockville, MD · Member since 2016 · 6 posts · 2 votes
    9y
    Originally posted by @Edward Perkins:

    Thanks Donna, 

    Glad you got good treatment, but that does not change any facts.

    He does do a good job rallying former students to his cause, I'll give him that.  It's a good campaign to drown out the truth.

     Ed you may want to ask yourself why people are defending him. I wholesaled 22 units in my first 4 months making $20,000 in Chris's program. That's not even as impressive as some of the other students who have posted here who negotiated 0% terms. 

    Chris teaches direct mail in his course extensively... looks like you just didn't apply what he taught because you didn't think it would really work... I've seen this before with struggling businesspeople... they don't want to market for some reason. 

    It's clear what's going on to anyone paying attention: you can't take responsibility for yourself and you blame other people. You made mistakes, and have deceptively tried to 'get even' by taking to a forum where people don't know the facts. You also keep trying to get the upper hands and it's just not goin to work. You're not behaving in a classy manner and you're going to keep getting called out, so just give it up. 

  • Specialist · Scottsdale, AZ · Member since 2014 · 1 post · 1 vote
    9y

    What an interesting thread indeed.  I'll keep it short as possible and echo the seeming consensus.  Chris & Steve and the RealWealth staff are solid people, delivering a fantastic education.   Having been in real estate since 2003, I can say without question there is no part of what they teach, do or deliver that is problematic or unprofessional.  The content, the process, the follow up, the ongoing coaching, all of them are solid & worthy of my endorsement.  So much so that my entire staff is encouraged to go to his coaching next time he's in town.  When I leveraged them for help I often got Steve (not Chris), but Steve is more then enough and extremely proficient and capable to conduct his responsibility.   Steve has successfully executed their techniques on dozen of deals, he listens well, he's a great communicator, he was always available (within minutes to hours) he's an excellent coach to field student calls/questions.  Steve is funnier then Chris anyways (little jab at ya Chris!) so keep that in mind. 

    And to explain the tsunami of student support, yet Chris did reach out to some of his students to determine the situation and post supportive feedback, and I'm pretty sure there where no guns to peoples heads to do so.  I can't think of a more applicable and correct way to go about the situation.  What Chris did is about as logical as it gets and it's exactly what I would have done if I were in his situation.   

    And lastly, I'm not part of his staff, I run my own business, we flip houses in 5 states, been in business over a decade before I met Chris and his coaching.  When I signed up I can count at least 3 things they did for me and my team that they didn't have to do, but did it anyways.  All 3 of those things were after I paid = Happy student = Happy customer.   

  • Lender · Kissimmee, FL · Member since 2016 · 7 posts · 11 votes
    9y

    Wow I was already sold on Chris but just reading of the way he & the past/present students  write about their experiences  with such class and  professionalism, I just signed and paid for Chris's new Beta Program.  BAM!!!   This thread actually sold me on MORE Chris. Any thinking person reading this thread in the years to come will compare the nonstudent catty/petty and  baseless comments to those of the thoughtful past students, current students and  returning students.   Gravitas wins the day! My son will be a student. Chris is the real deal. 

    Power of ZERO!!'

  • Spring, TX · Member since 2016 · 243 posts · 203 votes
    9y

    Where do we sign up?

  • Melbourne, FL · Member since 2015 · 22 posts · 28 votes
    9y
    Kevin Coggins My office manager can give you the dates and locations It won't let me post Phone or email so if you send me a direct message I will give you my office manager's contact info and she can give you dates and locations!!
Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.