I was wondering if anyone had and knowledge of the quality of instruction provided by Todd Dotson of the company Tactical Real Estate. His company provides the trainers for EWI and Ron Legrand. If anyone has any opinions on the quality of instruction provided in either bootcamps or mentoring I'd appreciate your sending them. Thank you in advance for any information provided.
My brother signed up for this a bit back and I attended with him.
He never made back what he paid for the course and mentor days (cost extra).
Guru v. BP
BP wins hands down! You get hundreds (thousands?) of Gurus for a price you can't refuse.
Stick with Bigger Pockets and you will do better and save big money (like Menard's for you midwesterners).
Scott
I took a wholesaling course with him years ago. Enthusiastic, entertaining ... but I never was able to make his techniques work. The marketing training (I feel this is the most important subject) was weak and simplistic. But, many claim successes with him, judging by testimonials. It just didn't work for me. Maybe it just was me. Don't know. Sorry I can't offer more.
I have been a student of his for a few years now. The program works and is unique. The marketing is crucial and he does a very good job of keeping up with what works in todays economy. If you are part of his monthly master mind group you get new and updated techniques not just on "getting in getting out and getting paid" but short sales, commercial, etc. He has really boosted my bottom line to my business. If you want a proven system that works if you do then this is the best wholesaling course I have experienced. I have done a lot of them Robert Kiyosaki, WIA, Learning Annex, Trump University, Preston Ely, Nate Kennedy...his material is far the best. I would estimate in the last two years that I made somewhere in the neighborhood of $200,000 using his technique alone. The continuing education for me is what is important and I have yet to find a course that updates you like his...hope this helps
Good cop bad cop, lol.
Checks Don't Lie!
Todd teaches the fastes way to get paid!!!!! With no money out of your own pocket or any of your own credit!
This is the real deal. I have checks every month to prove it!
Wow, sounds like what we've just discussed here:
http://www.biggerpockets.com/forums/25/topics/60980-liars-scumbags-satisfied-customers-what-to-do-
My brother signed up for this a bit back and I attended with him.
He never made back what he paid for the course and mentor days (cost extra).
Guru v. BP
BP wins hands down! You get hundreds (thousands?) of Gurus for a price you can't refuse.
Stick with Bigger Pockets and you will do better and save big money (like Menard's for you midwesterners).
Scott
I will say that it is true that some people don't make back what they invested...but that can be said of any course. The teacher can give you all the information you need, but if you are not willing to put to use what you are taught is it the systems fault? You can read the blog posts on BP for sure...but again...are you putting it in to use? Successful people do what unsuccessful people are not willing or unable to do...hands down I have not met another company that so many students are making money...I am one. I do not endorse or suggest any other course but his....like I said I have seen them all because I am a constant student and I have yet to see anything better...
Ultimately, do not be a professional student or like a college grad who spent 4 years getting a degree to only wind up a waiter or waitress, because you do not apply what you learned. Real Estate investing is work...it is not get rich quick, but it is get rich...too many people are looking for the fast food method...and if that is you...then defiantly this course is not for you...you will have to work and put the knowledge to use...if you do the steps you will get paid...and I challenge anyone who has been through the course to give an honest 3 months of work and and do every part of the process and say they did not make any money...if you do and you still have not made any money and you can prove you did all the steps I will fly out to you and help you do what I know works
Joseph,
Thanks for the offer to fly out and help; but I think I'll decline.
As for not putting in any effort; I can certainly attest that my brother, brother's brother-in-law, and I spent about a year "farming" neighborhoods, sending letters, knocking on doors, talking with sellers and we did not make any money. My brother made a small amount of money about 1.5 years into it, but has not recouped his investment in Todd Dotson's course.
I still think that all the info you need is available here on BP or through relationships on BP and paying for a "system" is just that. You're having someone spell out all the information already available and paying them heftily for organizing it.
There's nothing new under the sun and paying $10k for a course is not going to give you a secret that you couldn't have learned from someone here on BP. They sure make you feel like it's a secret though when they have you sign a load of confidentiality agreements, etc.
My experience is with the wholesale course by the way.
Just my humble opinion,
Scott
OMG! I live in Chicagoland and have recently learned from Todd, himself, in Chicagoland how to wholesale houses and it has changed my life! I did a group field mentoring with Todd in May 2010, here, in Chicagoland. I have NO prior real estate experience - I mean, NONE with the exception of living my house that I now know I shouldn't have bought and not at the price I bought it and not the way I did it, but that's a whole different subject! Anyway, after my mid-May field training, I went step by step and did what Todd told me to do - no questions, no changes.....and I flipped 6 houses in 8 weeks making around $25,000! I can't say what other programs do or don't work since Todd's is the ONLY real estate program I've ever done, but I can tell you that if you follow it step by step, it works and you will make your money back and a whole new lifestyle for yourself! In fact, I got outta the game for several months due to personal distractions, and recently got restarted. This time, within 3 weeks of starting over, I flipped and collected another check for $4,000 dated 2/22/2011 - I'll try to attach it (hold your breath, I'm not much better with blogs than I am with real estate LOL). The last thing I will say is that, just "going through" the program is great, but sticking with it (not straying), being mentored by Todd and his team and fellow students is just as vital, so you are never alone and can get through anything!!!! I would venture to say those that took his program and tried probably would've/could've been there if they had assistance and/or pushed through to stay in the game! I had no experience and no money (I borrowed a dollar from seller on my first deal and flipped it for $8,000), but I had Todd's plan and Todd's support and I did it! Now, it's time to keep doing it! Best of luck to all of you investors.....the question is not whether or not Todd's courses are worth it because they are invaluable!!! The question is do you want to do it and are you willing to put the necessary time and effort in it to get it done! You don't have to get it right, you just have to get it going - I'm living proof!
BP is defiantly a great resource and invaluable for networking...I applaud you Cheryl and your words ring true...ultimately I know the course works. I know Todd and his team are committed to your success and I have made life long friends and business partners in the mentorship group...I have not experienced that type of comradeship since the military...to your success...
Joseph Irons
Thank you for your reply. Without going into details what elements of his program were better? Did you find his software helpful? Was the information up do date? Did it help you build a buyer's list? Did you do any long range investing in different towns? How many transactions do you normally do in a year? Once again thank you,
Honestly all the elements of his program are on point...however, I tend to skew more towards sub2, Todd is very very strong at get in get out get paid (flipping houses/usually without fixing) as evidenced by all of his student checks and mine. he also has great stuff on the art of the flip - flipping sub 2 and lease options. because he spends so much time in the trenches - his own buy sell business and especially his students via on-site mentoring he is as current as you can get. being in todd's mastermind i know that he is rolling out even more new tactics as part of his 2011 mentoring campaign so there will be stuff that even i have not been exposed to...he has several software pieces but you are probably referring to tactical comps which is excellent for finding owners, determining buy sell history, and finding comps, cash buyers, and even private lenders. I have not done any long range investing in other towns only because I am so busy here in San Antonio...each student is different as far as results go and each market is different. Todd will give you good information and mentorship...he cares about all of his students success...I know from personal experience how dedicated he can be. Bottom line is he helped me and my business...I have been a member of BP for some time and the truth is mentors are important and Todd is one of the best....Don't judge my success against yours...set your own goals and Todd will help you with the rest...hopefully I will see you at April's Mastermind...praying for you to be blessed...
Newbie posts about any system will fall on deaf ears on BP. If someone has a comment that has 200+ posts, I might assume that poster is not part of a sales force or marketing venture.
If you want to get attention, discuss exactly what you do, what the program does and what your guru advocates, specifically about a deal and others may jump in.
As you can see I am not a newbie...I just pick and choose what I post or contribute about...I have been a member of BP since 2008...marketing on many different social media sites can become a full time job...but your words are wise...I would be concerned if I had just joined...if you have any doubts about my credibility check my 3 TV interviews done on my markets #1 live morning talk show...you can find them on my website or go to youtube.com and search Rock Real Estate Investments.
Financexaminer
I have a certain perod of time to do due diligence on Mr. Dotson and cancel a very expensive mentoring agreement with him. I used my membership which is about a year old with bigger pockets to get more information on him. I am not looking for just the good I am looking for the bad and the ugly as it might save me a lot of money. I have asked similar questions in other real estate investment forums of which I am a member. Thank you for your comments. ps Scott what problems did you have.
Until I know what the program is about, what it does or supposed to do, I can't say, but chances are, from past experience, I usually suggest getting or keeping your money as there has never been anything that I have heard of in any such program that can not be solved or addressed just as sufficiently, right here for free.
Not only do gurus fail to get into specifices they rarely discuss anything with me, primarily because they believe there is no winning and only stand to lose. But, not so, if it is really good, I would give that opinion, for whatever that would be worth.....who cares....
Sounds like you have made a committment and now want to do the due diligence, cart before the horse, in that case I would suggest you cancel or keep your money until you know what you are getting, without any hype. Good luck...
Of course there is good and bad in anything you can or can't do...Marcus, you have been a member of BP for a year, yes?, how successful has the information been on BP have you turned many deals? Having a mentor who can hold you accountable and give you a step by step plan is invaluable. What you do with the knowledge is your choice....for me I like the community and Todd's mastermind is a tight group. We are there for each other....I am really good at marketing online and get leads in all 50 states...good leads and I give them to the group...some pay me...some don't...it is what it is...bottom line is without education you will eventually pay the price...one way or another we all pay. Also, I feel Guru's are those who teach but don't do...Todd is an active investor and walks his talk. I have yet to meet any "guru" or "real estate coach" who does or offers complete step by step information for free...time is money...would it be safe to say "financexaminer" as your title denotes you as a coach at some point you charge for your information?
Marcus,
It's not necessarily that there were problems, but more that there wasn't enough added value to merit whatever the price was. All that he taught can be read in books and verified here on BP as actually working. You could also build a relationship with a mentor on BP in your area.
Keep these thoughts in mind:
1.All Gurus are excellent marketers.
2.There's nothing new under the sun (just repackaged stuff).
I'm just not convinced it is the best investment of money. What specifically are your RE goals Marcus? Maybe we can point you to threads (on BP) or books to give you a basis of information and then you could put that "tuition" money to work into a deal and then REALLY learn something.
I, personally, would cancel whatever you signed up for, it's a good thing there is a "cooling off period," my brother had no such luxury when he was sold. Then do all your due diligence and research on BP here and see if you still want to do it.
@Joseph, I'm glad you're successful with the Todd Dotson Tactical Real Estate (catchy name eh? see point 1 above).
I've e-mailed my brother to get his thoughts on the program (he was sold the training) and will post them here when he responds.
My humble opinion,
Scott
Wholesaling newbies should start reading these:
http://www.biggerpockets.com/forums/79/topics/6100-how-about-a-course-or-book-on-wholesaling-but-something-
http://www.biggerpockets.com/forums/93/topics/54108-buyer-s-list-how-to-
Wow, discounting newbies - that's not necessarily fair. We all have to start somewhere. I'm new to real estate and without real estate experience, yet after working with Todd, I'm making a lot more money than many regular and/or more experienced real estate investors. Just because I don't have a lot of posts does not mean that what I have to say is not valuable or true - I would argue that many people on here have tons of posts and nothing to back it because they spend their time here instead of in the field - much like many of the speakers you have referred to. As Joseph said, Todd provides a step by step program that you can follow and make money and provides support and team to help. He continues to be in the field nationwide and changes his tactics accordingly - he is not a speaker just out to sell his programs which I've heard a lot about and experienced myself in another industry (not real estate). Marcus, good for you to do your due diligence because you need to comfortable and there is a lot of stuff out there in this industry - good and bad. Realize that no matter what you look into, you are going to find people who swear by and/or against the person/seminar/thing you are looking at. You need to know yourself and what you are willing to do and do a solid gut check. Do you see something different with Todd and his offerings and are you willing to do it? Do you think you'll make your money back and then some? Have you done real estate in the past? Is this a new method or something that can work for you? Do you need a mentor to help you pull the trigger and avoid costly mistakes? What made you sign up? You obviously want to do it and feel it's worth it. Have faith in yourself and go with your gut. If you need someone to talk to, let me know. Best of luck with your decision. I think your first instinct was a good one!
Okay, and so far not a word about what the strategy really is. Just hype and fluff.
My experience is with the wholesale course by the way.
Financeexaminer,
I posted a bit of what was taught here. My brother signed up for the Wholesaling course and I attended with him.
Scott
Financexaminer
Mr Dotson gave me a certain amount of time to do due diligence on him. We agreed to it when we spoke. Much like an inspection contingency in a real estate contract. I live in the southern suburbs of Chicago. I can buy houses like the one Scott is discussing in another thread all day long($16000 2 flat). I don't want any more they are a pain to manage. The area is too high crime. I am looking into doing wholesaling. But I need a way to find buyers. Mr. Dotson has done training for Robert Allen, Ron Legrand nad Russ Whitney those people don't do their own training and I was hoping that some people on the forum might know about him.