Shopify for own STR website?

Shopify for own STR website?

Investor · Seal Beach Ca · Member since 2020 · 19 posts · 8 votes

Hello. Has anyone used Shopify to build their own STR property website? I know Shopify typically is a more commerce base platform. Is there a good website theme template to use that anyone can recommend?

Or am I barking up the wrong tree? Should I be using squarespace or some  other platform? ( I have experience with Shopify so I would proffer to stick with what I am familiar with.)

Thanks fir the feedback

Ryan

0Reply
32 views

9 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Investor · Hendersonville, NC · Member since 2016 · 498 posts · 285 votes
    1y
    Quote from @Ryan Ruppert:

    Hello. Has anyone used Shopify to build their own STR property website? I know Shopify typically is a more commerce base platform. Is there a good website theme template to use that anyone can recommend?

    Or am I barking up the wrong tree? Should I be using squarespace or some  other platform? ( I have experience with Shopify so I would proffer to stick with what I am familiar with.)

    Thanks fir the feedback

    Ryan


    This can be done. Although I'm guessing most people in this position would use Wordpress or something more customizable. I'm not sure you could really scale a STR on Shopify but you could always start there and migrate to another platform.

  • Investor · Seal Beach Ca · Member since 2020 · 19 posts · 8 votes
    1y

    I appreciate the quick reply.

    Do you happen to know if Wordpress or Squarespace has not only direct Booking but direct Billing as well?

  • Investor · Hendersonville, NC · Member since 2016 · 498 posts · 285 votes
    1y
    Quote from @Ryan Ruppert:

    I appreciate the quick reply.

    Do you happen to know if Wordpress or Squarespace has not only direct Booking but direct Billing as well?


    No problem. Wordpress has a plug-in for just about anything you can think of. That being said, it’s more complex to use than Shopify. Significantly so actually. And I’ve used both extensively. Will you hire a developer or build it yourself?

  • Investor · Member since 2021 · 8 posts · 3 votes
    1y

    @Ryan Ruppert

    I'm not familiar with using Shopify for a Direct STR site but I think it's a creative way to go about it. Easiest thing to do is to utilize your channel manager to create one (most have this feature) or maybe consider houfy.com or craftedstays.co, they are specific for creating direct websites. Good luck!

  • Investor · Seal Beach Ca · Member since 2020 · 19 posts · 8 votes
    1y
    Quote from @Dominic Mazzarella:
    Quote from @Ryan Ruppert:

    I appreciate the quick reply.

    Do you happen to know if Wordpress or Squarespace has not only direct Booking but direct Billing as well?


    No problem. Wordpress has a plug-in for just about anything you can think of. That being said, it’s more complex to use than Shopify. Significantly so actually. And I’ve used both extensively. Will you hire a developer or build it yourself?

    I have experience building my own DTC consumer goods type sites so I was planning to build my own. Wasn’t sure what the “go to” platform was for STR & MTR. 
    thanks for the info
  • Investor · Seal Beach Ca · Member since 2020 · 19 posts · 8 votes
    1y
    Quote from @Dominic Mazzarella:
    Quote from @Ryan Ruppert:

    Hello. Has anyone used Shopify to build their own STR property website? I know Shopify typically is a more commerce base platform. Is there a good website theme template to use that anyone can recommend?

    Or am I barking up the wrong tree? Should I be using squarespace or some  other platform? ( I have experience with Shopify so I would proffer to stick with what I am familiar with.)

    Thanks fir the feedback

    Ryan


    This can be done. Although I'm guessing most people in this position would use Wordpress or something more customizable. I'm not sure you could really scale a STR on Shopify but you could always start there and migrate to another platform.

    Dominic, you mentioned not being able to scale my business using Shopify as opposed to Wordpress. How exactly would Shopify stifle our ability to scale? This site will be for 3 properties to begin with. Hopefully we will be managing a handful of other STRs in the same market in the future. So this doesn’t need to be the next Airbnb. Thoughts?
    thanks
    Ryan
  • Investor · Hendersonville, NC · Member since 2016 · 498 posts · 285 votes
    1y
    Quote from @Ryan Ruppert:
    Quote from @Dominic Mazzarella:
    Quote from @Ryan Ruppert:

    Hello. Has anyone used Shopify to build their own STR property website? I know Shopify typically is a more commerce base platform. Is there a good website theme template to use that anyone can recommend?

    Or am I barking up the wrong tree? Should I be using squarespace or some  other platform? ( I have experience with Shopify so I would proffer to stick with what I am familiar with.)

    Thanks fir the feedback

    Ryan


    This can be done. Although I'm guessing most people in this position would use Wordpress or something more customizable. I'm not sure you could really scale a STR on Shopify but you could always start there and migrate to another platform.

    Dominic, you mentioned not being able to scale my business using Shopify as opposed to Wordpress. How exactly would Shopify stifle our ability to scale? This site will be for 3 properties to begin with. Hopefully we will be managing a handful of other STRs in the same market in the future. So this doesn’t need to be the next Airbnb. Thoughts?
    thanks
    Ryan

    @Ryan Ruppert

    Shopify is a great platform for e-commerce, but it might not be the best fit for managing STRs in the long term. While it's user-friendly and fine for selling physical products, its scalability for managing multiple rental properties is limited compared to WordPress. WordPress, especially when paired with plugins like WP Rentals or a property management system, offers more flexibility for custom features like dynamic calendars, booking systems, and integrations with platforms like Airbnb.

    If you're planning to grow beyond a few properties, WordPress can handle that expansion better since you can continuously customize it as your business needs change. Shopify might feel restrictive because it's not built for the complexities of managing properties or handling booking systems efficiently.

    That said, if you're comfortable with Shopify for now and not looking to go big right away, it could work. Long-term growth and customization are where WordPress shines, though. There's definitely the option to start on Shopify and then move to something more customizable later on. 

  • Rental Property Investor · Eugene, OR · Member since 2019 · 11 posts · 1 vote
    1y

    I am looking into this also to run my small 17 unit resort, looking at several apps. One that just launched is ShopSTR. Actually considering if there is a play to build or buy an app. This seems like a huge untapped opportunity. 

  • Investor · Seal Beach Ca · Member since 2020 · 19 posts · 8 votes
    1y
    Quote from @Jake Sablosky:

    I am looking into this also to run my small 17 unit resort, looking at several apps. One that just launched is ShopSTR. Actually considering if there is a play to build or buy an app. This seems like a huge untapped opportunity. 

    Jake. Thanks for the suggestion. I wonder how the Shop STR app compares to the others. Does it have all the same capabilities as the other apps? Seems like this could work well👊🏻
Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.