Realtors: how do you know where to put open house signs?

Realtors: how do you know where to put open house signs?

New to Real Estate · Austin TX · Member since 2019 · 4 posts · 3 votes

Hey all,

This question is for any realtor, how do you know where to put your open house signs? I'm not a realtor myself, but my wife is and I'm trying to help her get more traffic to her open houses. I was wondering if there's an app or any sort of service that folks used that help them put signs in strategic locations that could draw more foot traffic.

0Reply
58 views

3 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Real Estate Agent · Albuquerque, NM · Member since 2015 · 542 posts · 193 votes
    1y

    @Deep Patel

    Before deciding where to put signs, be sure to research local ordinances to avoid fines or signs being taken away by the city. Can they be on medians? Can they have balloons attached to them? Can they be on sidewalks

    I zoom out on a map with the location of the open house and find all primary intersections that may need a sign

    If roads are multilane, having a sign further back as well as at the intersection in each direction is helpful, as it gives time for people to change lanes if they’re interested.
    Slower single lane roadways might only need one or two signs at the corners.

    Whether there are ordinances or not, do not block sidewalks for pedestrians, cyclists, or people with disabilities.

    When I put out signs, I start at the house and work outwards. That way, when I am on my way back to the property, I can see whether the signs are indeed visible to traffic.  No one wants to get lost trying to find the house.

    • New to Real Estate · Austin TX · Member since 2019 · 4 posts · 3 votes
      1y
      Quote from @Lydia S.:

      @Deep Patel

      Before deciding where to put signs, be sure to research local ordinances to avoid fines or signs being taken away by the city. Can they be on medians? Can they have balloons attached to them? Can they be on sidewalks

      I zoom out on a map with the location of the open house and find all primary intersections that may need a sign

      If roads are multilane, having a sign further back as well as at the intersection in each direction is helpful, as it gives time for people to change lanes if they’re interested.
      Slower single lane roadways might only need one or two signs at the corners.

      Whether there are ordinances or not, do not block sidewalks for pedestrians, cyclists, or people with disabilities.

      When I put out signs, I start at the house and work outwards. That way, when I am on my way back to the property, I can see whether the signs are indeed visible to traffic.  No one wants to get lost trying to find the house.


       Where can I check ordinances? I also used chat gpt to give me a recommendation on sign locations and it was really good, got 7 people to show up for a 3 hour open house!

  • Member since 2025 · 40 posts · 13 votes
    1y

    Most city and county ordinances are available online by searching thru their .gov website or google. 

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.