I’ve been spending a lot more time researching property information, and I’m quickly learning how much time slips away when constantly flipping between Zillow, county GIS pages, appraiser websites, and zoning maps.
Each county has its own way of handling it, and it quickly becomes a jumbled mess.
I’ve been trying to develop a workflow that eliminates a lot of the copying and pasting, as well as the tab flipping, but before I take it any further, I’m curious what everyone here is currently using.
Are you currently:
• Using a tool
• Leaning on browser tricks
• Leveraging automation
• Or relying on muscle memory?
Would love to see what’s currently working for you all.
Property Manager · Calabasas, CA · Member since 2026 · 141 posts · 67 votes
6mo
For commercial properties in SoCal the county assessor fragmentation is a real pain. LA County, Riverside, San Bernardino all have different portals, different parcel numbering conventions, different levels of data quality.
What's worked best for me: I lean on PropertyShark and CoStar for initial lookups when I'm evaluating a deal — they aggregate most of the county data into one place, though CoStar is obviously expensive if you're not already using it. For properties I'm seriously considering, I go direct to the county assessor site to pull the actual tax records and confirm ownership chains because the aggregators are sometimes 6-12 months stale on ownership transfers.
The workflow I've settled on: bookmark the county assessor portal for every county you actively work in, keep them in a browser folder, and build a simple spreadsheet template where you paste the key fields once per deal (APN, last sale, assessed value, tax status, zoning). Sounds low-tech but the discipline of filling it out every time means you're not scrambling to find that info later when you actually need it — usually during a lease negotiation or financing conversation.
For LA County specifically, the ZIMAS portal is underrated for zoning research. The county's GIS system is clunky but has more detail than most third-party tools once you learn the navigation.
That’s a good process, especially the spreadsheet part. I’ve noticed the same with aggregators being a little behind, and you still end up going back to the county sites anyway.
The fragmentation you spoke of is exactly what’s been causing me problems too, with different APN formats, clunky GIS sites, and tabbing back and forth nonstop.
I’ve actually been working on a little tool to help with this process, mainly to reduce the tabbing back and forth, but still experimenting with what works best.
Out of curiosity, when you’re working with multiple properties, does the back and forth between the sites still feel like a bottleneck?
Property Manager · Calabasas, CA · Member since 2026 · 141 posts · 67 votes
6mo
Honestly yes — still a bottleneck, especially when I'm scanning multiple potential acquisitions at once. The spreadsheet helps with organization but doesn't solve the underlying tab chaos when you're pulling from ZIMAS, the county assessor, PropertyShark, and a CoStar comp sheet simultaneously. You end up with 15 tabs open and lose track of which county you were on.
Curious what direction you're taking the tool. Is it more of a unified search layer that pulls from multiple county sources, or something that helps structure/organize the data once you've pulled it? That fragmentation problem feels like it splits into two distinct pains — finding the data vs. making sense of it once you have it.
That’s what I was saying – it helps with organization, but not with the tabs.
I’ve actually been spending more time working on the “find the data” side – cutting down on the back and forth with county sites, etc.
Right now, it’s pretty simple:
→ Start with an address or an APN
→ Skip right to the actual page for that property (assessor data, GIS data, etc.)
→ Instead of having to save several links to county websites or keep those in a spreadsheet, it’s more like having a single entry point to access all that data.
I haven’t really gone deep into organizing the data yet. I was more focused on getting rid of that initial pain point.
Would you still use the spreadsheet if that part was more streamlined?
I’ve actually been working on something similar to this.