How can I learn Yardi?

How can I learn Yardi?

Investor · New York, NY · Member since 2014 · 156 posts · 48 votes

I'm applying for various Leasing Administrator and Assistant Property Manager roles, although it's a slight career switch from my normal day job as an executive assistant. (I also have experience as a sales manager and as a real estate agent, so I'm confident I can make the switch). I noticed that many positions request experience with Yardi or similar software, and I want to get my resume noticed. But Yardi won't teach individuals how to use the software unless they work for a company that purchased Yardi. And all the Yardi Youtube tutorials have been blocked for the public. 

Is there a way to learn Yardi, maybe through a tutor? I know I'm not the only one looking for this, a recent Google search turned up someone on craigslist looking for a Yardi tutor.

Suggestions?

5Reply
131 views

Most Popular Reply

Angela A.Pro Member
Accountant · Denver, CO · Member since 2013 · 16 posts · 19 votes
10y

I am not sure I understand the strategy of a company creating software and not wanting anyone who wanted to learn it learn; even if it was training you could pay for. 

Guess this is why I am not paid the big bucks ;)

See this reply in the discussion

26 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Investor · Hastings On Hudson, NY · Member since 2014 · 73 posts · 25 votes
    11y

    Is there a specific product that you're looking to learn? From what it looks like Yardi is the name of the company and they offer different packages. I could be wrong though. 

  • Real Estate Professional · Mechanicsburg, PA · Member since 2012 · 319 posts · 167 votes
    11y

    Sounds like a business opportunity,  once you learn Yardi, remember this, and you can have a side business teaching it.

  • Real Estate Professional · Mechanicsburg, PA · Member since 2012 · 319 posts · 167 votes
    11y

    On the Yardi website is a search tool for independent contractors.  Some of them list training as a service.  I'd reach out to one near you.

  • Real Estate Investor · New Haven, CT · Member since 2014 · 41 posts · 12 votes
    11y

    My wife is a property manager here in CT. She uses Yardi for work. She would be willing to teach you if you want to reach out, text 203-307-0072. Her name is Jacqueline. Not sure what you'd be wanting to offer.

    Good luck!

  • Investor · New York, NY · Member since 2014 · 156 posts · 48 votes
    11y

    @Jonathan Quintanilla:  Yes, there are several products, designed for larger/fewer #'s of units. But even just having the keyword "Yardi" on my resume should help it get picked up. Voyager seems to be one of their main products.

    @David C.: It certainly could be a side business, I'm sure! When you talk to their independent training agents, they always say they can't train you unless you are a customer.

  • Investor · New York, NY · Member since 2014 · 156 posts · 48 votes
    11y
    Originally posted by @David Carrington:

    My wife is a property manager here in CT. She uses Yardi for work. She would be willing to teach you if you want to reach out, text 203-307-0072. Her name is Jacqueline. Not sure what you'd be wanting to offer.

    Good luck!

     Thanks David! I will reach out to her.

  • Property Manager · Minneapolis, MN · Member since 2014 · 380 posts · 167 votes
    11y

    I used Yardi for many years.  We actually were one of their first clients when they only had the dos professional version.   Most larger PM companies will use Yardi Voyager, Real Page or some of the other Elite Systems.   Without working with  company it is challenging to learn Yardi, since you don't have the day to day use in real life settings. 

    We actually switched from Yardi to Appfolio due to price and overall a much easier system that all our employees can use (again, no expensive per user charges).   I think in most cases we haven't hired anyone based on their system experience unless it is a position that focuses on accounting.  For leasing and assistant manager roles I wouldn't worry about not knowing Yardi.  We focus on customer service, sales and overall personality when hiring for leasing and assistant manager positions and haven't really made a decision based on PM software experience.

  • Investor · Bay Area · Member since 2014 · 7 posts · 6 votes
    11y

    Hi Chris,

    I've worked at Yardi for 4 years, so I'd like to throw in my two cents. Yardi-Voyager is the flagship software program, and you definitely want to find a company using that program and not one of the older/legacy systems that predate it. Yardi-Voyager is relatively ubiquitous in the industry, so this should be easy. I'd also offer that the willingness to invest in an industry-standard (albeit not cheap) software like Voyager is the sign of a high-quality property management company. This is not to deride a program like AppFolio, which is well-suited to small companies (under 100 units or so). I'm relatively new to BP, but it seems skewed towards companies of this size, and I wouldn't be surprised to see .

    I have some good news and some bad news for you:

    Bad news: There isn't a good way of getting Yardi training outside of working for a company that uses it. 

    Good news: Yardi is doing very well in the industry, and as market share increases, so does the demand for employees with Yardi experience. This means that, while companies may "require" experience with it, they may not actually be able to find a good candidate who has that experience. This leaves a lot of room for you to convince the employer that YOU are the right candidate and will learn the software quickly once hired.

    I suggest playing up your experience with other accounting or prop mgmt software if you have it. Having experience with a legacy Yardi product, like Enterprise, may be a foot in the door for an interview, even though it is quite different than Yardi-Voyager. It would then be understandable that you need some time to get up to speed. 

    Based on your eloquent writing and good use of grammar you seem like a smart person. I'm confident in your ability to learn and eventually master Yardi! Feel free to reach out to me directly if I can help you any further.

    Best,

    Nick

  • Angela A.Pro Member
    Accountant · Denver, CO · Member since 2013 · 16 posts · 19 votes
    10y

    I am not sure I understand the strategy of a company creating software and not wanting anyone who wanted to learn it learn; even if it was training you could pay for. 

    Guess this is why I am not paid the big bucks ;)

  • Cedar Rapids, IA · Member since 2017 · 1 post · 1 vote
    9y

    Well, I am like Chris L from New York two years ago.  I too have recently accepted a Leasing Consultant position.  I do have 20 years in sales.  It is the software I'm trying to understand better as I have to use it each day.  Yes, my company did have me take some online courses but I would like more one on one training. 

    Since the previously blog is from 2 years ago I probably won't get much response but thought that I would at least try.  

    Thanks, TJ

  • Investor · Schaumburg, IL · Member since 2015 · 219 posts · 104 votes
    9y

    @Nick Condie would you be able.to share pricing?

    I have come across Yardi's name doing research online. I never bothered following up with Yardi because it seems liked it was for larger owners or managers. 

    I just want to see if Yardi is something someone can buy and try to learn?

    Thanks

  • Elizabeth, NJ · Member since 2017 · 1 post · 0 votes
    9y

    Hi Jacqueline

    I am looking in applying to work in property management- however I do need to know Yardi

    Precisely- I am an accounts receivable/credit collections- and that is the tutorial or leaning program I am interested in

    Please advise when starting- cost  etc. thanks for any help you can give

  • Grove City, OH · Member since 2017 · 1 post · 0 votes
    9y

    Hi Jacqueline I am very interested in learning Yardi when you start. I am in Ohio now just moved from Ventura County. Small world. So whenever you are doing the class let me know so appreciate it.

    Thank you Carol Marshall

  • Realtor · Camarillo, CA · Member since 2014 · 162 posts · 102 votes
    9y

    I have worked with a number of large properties (130 to 444 units) and several different property management software systems. 

    First of all Yardi is not difficult. All Property Management software systems do the same thing they just go about it a little bit differently. If you play with a free trial of Property Management Software (Appfolio Buildium Propertyware) you will have a great idea of what to expect and what you need to learn once you access Yardi.

    I would suggest you go ahead and apply for the job or start as a temp for a company that specializes in placing property management workers. People who write the ads over emphasize Yardi expierence when other qualities are more important. 

  • Professional · Columbia, SC · Member since 2016 · 26 posts · 12 votes
    9y

    Does anyone have a pdf of the Yardi manual? Thank you

  • Agent & Investor · Los Angeles, CA · Member since 2015 · 56 posts · 36 votes
    8y

    I've heard from several property management / development companies in LA that they absolutely will not hire anyone unless they are proficient in Yardi. When I asked how to get proficient they said work at a company that uses Yardi...

  • Member since 2022 · 1 post · 0 votes
    4y

    Four years later and I will echo what Blake said. Such a ridiculous form of gatekeeping. 

  • Member since 2023 · 3 posts · 0 votes
    3y
    Quote from @David Carrington:

    My wife is a property manager here in CT. She uses Yardi for work. She would be willing to teach you if you want to reach out, text 203-307-0072. Her name is Jacqueline. Not sure what you'd be wanting to offer.

    Good luck!


  • Member since 2023 · 3 posts · 0 votes
    3y
    Quote from @Karen Borell:
    Quote from @David Carrington:

    My wife is a property manager here in CT. She uses Yardi for work. She would be willing to teach you if you want to reach out, text 203-307-0072. Her name is Jacqueline. Not sure what you'd be wanting to offer.

    Good luck!



  • Member since 2023 · 3 posts · 0 votes
    3y
    Quote from @Karen Borell:
    Quote from @Karen Borell:
    Quote from @David Carrington:

    My wife is a property manager here in CT. She uses Yardi for work. She would be willing to teach you if you want to reach out, text 203-307-0072. Her name is Jacqueline. Not sure what you'd be wanting to offer.

    Good luck!


     I am interested!



  • Member since 2023 · 2 posts · 0 votes
    3y

    Sorry, i posted with my email to help but it was deleted by a moderator and told that i cannot advertise my services.

    Not sure how i can help you out without breaking the rules here.  Good luck!

  • Member since 2024 · 4 posts · 1 vote
    2y
    Quote from @Chris L.:

    I'm applying for various Leasing Administrator and Assistant Property Manager roles, although it's a slight career switch from my normal day job as an executive assistant. (I also have experience as a sales manager and as a real estate agent, so I'm confident I can make the switch). I noticed that many positions request experience with Yardi or similar software, and I want to get my resume noticed. But Yardi won't teach individuals how to use the software unless they work for a company that purchased Yardi. And all the Yardi Youtube tutorials have been blocked for the public. 

    Is there a way to learn Yardi, maybe through a tutor? I know I'm not the only one looking for this, a recent Google search turned up someone on craigslist looking for a Yardi tutor.

    Suggestions?

    Hi Chris,

    I hope this message finds you well. I recently came across your post where you shared your experience facing challenges with Yardi, and I find myself in a similar situation now.

    I'm reaching out to inquire about how you resolved the issue you mentioned. Was there someone who taught you Yardi? Additionally, for those who have come across your post, does anyone have knowledge about Yardi? I am also in need of learning Yardi and would greatly appreciate any recommendations.

    Thank you for your time and assistance.

  • Member since 2024 · 1 post · 0 votes
    2y

    Hello Chris,

    I hope this finds you well and I hope you learned yardi and mastered the art of property management. 10 years after and here I'm with the the same question, how can I learn Yardi and put it on my resume for a property management position that I'm looking for?

    I have worked in the oil & gas industry for 10 years and now I want to switch to property manager in an effort to understand the industry very well and become an investor myself or even have my own PM company one day.... who knows there is no limit on ambitions.


    The point is, companies are asking for yardi experience in their ads and yardi is asking to be employed with a company to learn it! Sounds like a ring road with no entry.

    If you resolved this or if anyone knows how I can improve on this please let me know. 

    Thank you and good luck everyone.

  • Drew SygitBusiness Member
    Property Manager · Royal Oak, MI · Member since 2012 · 12k+ posts · 9k+ votes
    2y

    @Galeyr Yussuf how motivated are you?

    You can probably get a temporary demo account from Yardi.

    Have a plan to enter fake properties, leases, work orders, etc. BEFORE signing up for a demo account, so you don't waste the limited time you have.

    Also, quick Google search found these:

    https://www.yardi.com/services/training-services/

    https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLzR47otetxZUY2IKTJyp1...

    You will NOT get very far if you put so little effort into this!

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.