Investor carrot or lead propeller?

Investor carrot or lead propeller?

Real Estate Agent · Las Vegas, NV · Member since 2016 · 589 posts · 275 votes
Hi guys n gals. So right to the point. I had the M5 for a while and it was good but it was expensive. I want to hear from members of the BP community. I'm a wholesaler.... new but educated. Has anyone here used investor carrot? Does it work? Leads? SEO meta data ? What about lead propeller? Any feedback about this site for squeeze pages capturing lead data for motivated sellers and cash buyers. Weigh in. Thanks BP folks.
5Reply
378 views

Most Popular Reply

Rental Property Investor · Broken Arrow, OK · Member since 2016 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
9y

We use Carrot and like it. You will still need paid traffic unless you're just looking for a few good leads per month.  When we don't do paid traffic, we still get 1-2 leads per WEEK, but when we do paid ads driving the traffic to our site, we get 1-2 per DAY.  But we're spending a lot on paid ads.  SEO alone will rank us on page one for most of our markets, but GoogleAds will rank us top 2 in every market we buy.  We also use many other paid ads.  GoogleAds can get very expensive, but if you do all of the set up correctly, you will get very high quality leads.  I would be willing to pay $500+ for a great motivated seller that fits my criteria.  I've found that the higher our cost of customer is, the better the leads, the less time we waste.  I'd rather have 1 very solid lead per day instead of 10-20 that waste an entire day. 

See this reply in the discussion

109 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Trevor MauchPro Member
    Investor · Roseburg, OR · Member since 2014 · 141 posts · 149 votes
    8y

    I know Tyler has had that ranking for years (before Carrot even). Just when he switched over he gained more top rankings and in some cases a 2nd page on the same site also began to rank toward the top of the page for the same phrases. 

    I know he has other links besides those on that list and as I said SEMrush (and any link research tool) doesn’t show all links and many times they fail to show the full citation profile etc. He links from his agent (non carrot) site, and other links. 

    As for what Tyler did, he followed our 3 Lead Per Day training course that’s crazy thorough on SEO, but the thing he did that we don’t teach or suggest is reciprocal linking. That won’t hurt the rankings if he’s already ranked high but the value of too many of them is much lower than a non reciprocal link in a topical article. Google *could* discount those links over time, negating the juice they pass. 

    Nothing we teach is a secret Sean and you, or anyone, can access our training and coaching calls the same as Tyler if y’all want to. And we have tons of free content on this too. I

    Backlinks of course are part of the equation... and as any good SEO knows there’s hundreds of factors Google potentially looks at. We work hard to give our clients the best shot at doing what Google wants. From the tech stack, the layout of the site to increase engagement, free ssl, content marketing tools and guidance (a site with active content is better than one without), content structure, mobile optimization, fast load times, etc etc etc etc. 

    Believe me, I’m not worried about you poking holes and thinking Carrot doesn’t work for SEO... it doesn’t take much effort to search in most cities around the country for top seller phrases and see Carrot sites consistently controlling many of the top positions. And I’m an open book on our aggregate data from our google analytics account. 

    We focus on making the fundamentals lower cost, easier, and more effective for people who don’t want to deal with building and maintaining a custom site... then hoping they get the SEO part right. Then we teach people the best practices to outrank others and coach them along the way. 

    I can’t and won’t show any of Tyler’s particular data. That’s up to him. And honestly I’m not sure what incentive he has to do so inside of this thread. I can tell you he joined early 2017 (maybe end of 2016?) so those leads are since then. Not all are unique, prob a few dups, some other investors inquiring, a few spam. But he is pulling in $300k+ from SEO in deal *profits* this year + listings, and its from “discovery” phrases primarily (sell my house fast [city] etc. and many other phrases.

    SEO isn’t easy, isn’t quick, and isn’t always clear the exact path to get a specific ranking. Patience and consistently implementing a content and backlink and citation plan (assuming the site is dialed in) is the formula. 

    But I'm happy to teach you anything we do for SEO and why many of the largest investors are using Carrot to get a better ROI and save time n money.

    On your thought about building SEO on a custom site vs Carrot or LP... earlier in this thread you educated people on the cost to setup a good custom site effectively and all that goes into it. 

    The $5k+ for that site build out, hoping the web person knows SEO well (most don’t), the continual updates to the site (Wordpress, plugins, ssl, etc), good web hosting ($40/mo or more for a good VPS), hoping you and your web person create the site to convert high (Jason’s expensive custom site lost to his $99/mo Carrot site. Now he’s completely ditched the custom site and doing SEO for the Carrot site), protecting against hacks, site speed, etc etc. 

    So you can either buy and own a custom site that will likely perform worse (or perform great but cost $5k-$10k for a conversion focused expert), have to pay the web person to make continual updates, pay the person to split test... you’re renting server space too... you don’t own that space... and you’ll have to redesign that custom site every 12-18 months to catch it up to mobile and Google changes at further expense... 

    ... or, be an investor and get the same or better result with a tool like Carrot with less expense and hassle. 

    Id love to do a Facebook live on the topic with you and answer any questions you or anyone has on SEO and why our clients consistently and overwhelmingly do extremely well on SEO. I’m sure I’d learn some things and hopefully others will learn a few things :-)

  • Flipper/Rehabber · Wilton, CT · Member since 2015 · 4k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    8y
    Originally posted by @Sean Dolan:

    @Tyler Ford @Trevor Mauch

    I found another oncarrot site Tyler is using: www.webuyhomesintucson.com/

    This website has 40 links from 17 domains:

    Almost all of these sites look like other oncarrot websites. If I was Google, and I came across this backlink profile, I could easily mistake this for a private blog network, which you can get penalized for. Also, most have very little authority, so there's little value in the link. Other than the link from Oncarrot.com itself, which probably helps quite a bit. It's possible that this link alone is responsible for any rankings you have. Once you leave Oncarrot, I'd assume this link goes as well. 

    Again, if this isn't the domain we're talking about, please correct me. Thanks!

     No offense but you are a prick for openly sharing someone's backlink profile. Douche move!

    You have absolutely no clue what you are talking about man. Not a clue.

    But whatever.. The highest ranking sites all over google are investor carrot sites. But what do we all know..

    Tell you a little secret? Ranking is just half the battle. You need credibility too. SOmeone may be ranking for years, then after switching to IC suddenly they get 2 times more leads.. why do you think that is?

  • Vendor · Katy, TX · Member since 2015 · 390 posts · 218 votes
    8y

    @Jerryll Noorden "no offense but you are a prick" - lol, that's hilarious. Way to add value to the convo. 

    I'm helping keep this forum honest, love it or hate it.

  • Flipper/Rehabber · Wilton, CT · Member since 2015 · 4k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    8y
    Originally posted by @Sean Dolan:

    @Jerryll Noorden "no offense but you are a prick" - lol, that's hilarious. Way to add value to the convo. 

    I'm helping keep this forum honest, love it or hate it.

    My stats don't lie either Bubbles

    ;)

    End of the day... we are the ones making all the deals. No issues here man.

  • Vendor · Katy, TX · Member since 2015 · 390 posts · 218 votes
    8y

    @Trevor Mauch 

    You guys made a claim, I asked for evidence, and you're going way out of your way not to provide it. 

    I'd be happy to do a Facebook Live. I'm going to ask the same questions. 

  • Flipper/Rehabber · Wilton, CT · Member since 2015 · 4k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    8y
    Originally posted by @Sean Dolan:

    @Trevor Mauch 

    You guys made a claim, I asked for evidence, and you're going way out of your way not to provide it. 

    I'd be happy to do a Facebook Live. I'm going to ask the same questions. 

    Here is proof. ;)

  • Vendor · Katy, TX · Member since 2015 · 390 posts · 218 votes
    8y

    @Jerryll Noorden You've proven to me that your lead forms were filled out 560 times, that's about it. With only 25 domains linking to your website, that'd be pretty impressive to amass a lot of high rankings for competitive terms. And I hope you ARE doing a lot of deals. There's plenty to go around. 

  • Vendor · Katy, TX · Member since 2015 · 390 posts · 218 votes
    8y

    @Jerryll Noorden That's great, I make a lot of money too. Again, going so far out of the way to conflate my criticism. You guys go ahead and keep renting. I'm just recommending that at a certain point, we all gotta grow up and own our websites. 

  • Real Estate Agent · Saint Louis, MO · Member since 2015 · 35 posts · 14 votes
    8y

    This thread has been super valuable... and a bit entertaining! haha. Very awesome info from everyone. 

  • Vendor · Katy, TX · Member since 2015 · 390 posts · 218 votes
    8y

    @Alexander Schwartz glad to hear you've found value. As for my contribution to the discussion, I hope my tone is coming across as intended. I'd have a beer with anyone on this forum. With over a decade in the digital marketing industry, and seeing way too much BS, I've become a bit of an empiricist.

  • Real Estate Agent · Saint Louis, MO · Member since 2015 · 35 posts · 14 votes
    8y
    Originally posted by @Sean Dolan:

    @Alexander Schwartz glad to hear you've found value. As for my contribution to the discussion, I hope my tone is coming across as intended. I'd have a beer with anyone on this forum. With over a decade in the digital marketing industry, and seeing way too much BS, I've become a bit of an empiricist.

     Yeah i can see where both sides of this argument are coming from. In the end it's only providing more value for readers, soooo not against it :)

    * i also have experience in PPC, and ive been doing research before i jump into it for motivated seller leads. crazy to hear some of the stuff people are concluding about facebook when they've probably done about 5% (just posting a generic ad and targeting a local audience with a bad fb page and unoptimized landing page and no follow up or retargeting etc)

  • Flipper/Rehabber · Wilton, CT · Member since 2015 · 4k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    8y

    I have nothing against you owning your website. Nothing against you making money and don't give a hoot if you do. You asked for proof and I did what you asked. I never asked you for proof so telling me/us you make money too is simply bragging who has the bigger stick.

    What my issue is/was is how desperate you are to prove a point. Openly displaying someone a backlink profile is low and damn desperately lame. It's like me giving the address where your wife lives just to prove a point.  If you can't even see this there really is nothing to discuss here.

  • Vendor · Katy, TX · Member since 2015 · 390 posts · 218 votes
    8y
    Alexander Schwartz glad to hear that. Yes, people often come to conclusions based on faulty logic, confirmation bias, confusing correlation for causation, or lack of statistical relevance, like in your example with Facebook. Many are quick go online and declare truth, to stroke their own ego or build their personal brand, despite being absolutely wrong and costing thousands of hours of time by others failing to recreate it. Telltale sign is when you ask them to prove something, and they respond by being defensive, as is clearly demonstrated in this thread.
  • Real Estate Broker · Windsor, CT · Member since 2015 · 1k+ posts · 268 votes
    8y

    @Jeff Filali  thank you for responding to this discussion, we just started using investor carrot. I think it could be alot more user friendly 

  • Flipper/Rehabber · Queens, NY · Member since 2013 · 36 posts · 18 votes
    8y

    @Trevor Mauch I have been a Carrot investor for the last 10 months and am ranking pretty good for certain keywords like sell my house fast, sell my house quick etc but I am not getting anywhere near the traffic I was expecting by now. Last week I got 33 visitors :( would it be possible to review my site and point me in the right direction? Thanks 

  • Flipper/Rehabber · Queens, NY · Member since 2013 · 36 posts · 18 votes
    8y

    BTW I love my carrot site - very easy to navigate back end. Very user friendly.

  • Vendor · Katy, TX · Member since 2015 · 390 posts · 218 votes
    8y

    @Alan L. open up a 'new incognito window' in chrome, then search the keyword again. It's possible that you're getting served personalized results based on your history, and not seeing your actual rank. Good to double check, especially when you rank for terms that should drive traffic, but you're not seeing the expected traffic. 

  • Flipper/Rehabber · Queens, NY · Member since 2013 · 36 posts · 18 votes
    8y

    @Sean Dolan  hey Sean thanks for the tip. I opened up an incognito browser from my phone and did the same searches for those keywords and am appearing on page one of Google for most of them. Maybe there’s just not that much traffic in NYC which is surprising??? 

  • Flipper/Rehabber · Queens, NY · Member since 2013 · 36 posts · 18 votes
    8y

    @Sean Dolan  if I PM you with my domain can you run a check on my backlinks and offer some advice? Thanks 

  • Real Estate Agent · Tucson, AZ · Member since 2017 · 14 posts · 11 votes
    8y

    Closing on 3 deals this month all from my Carrot site with NO PPC. All organic SEO opt-in leads. Thanks @Trevor Mauch ! 

  • Real Estate Agent · Washington, DC · Member since 2016 · 126 posts · 34 votes
    8y
    Hey Tyler. I’m not Tech savvy and was going to pay Carrot to get my website ranked on the first page. Is this a good idea? I don’t have the time to do it myself.

    Originally posted by @Tyler Ford:

    Closing on 3 deals this month all from my Carrot site with NO PPC. All organic SEO opt-in leads. Thanks @Trevor Mauch ! 

  • Real Estate Agent · Tucson, AZ · Member since 2017 · 14 posts · 11 votes
    8y

    @Account Closed

  • Flipper/Rehabber · Boise, ID · Member since 2018 · 18 posts · 11 votes
    8y
    Hey y’all, I have tried both and must say that Carrot provides better results overall. Also, it is very simple to edit and change your content and there are built in SEO tools to help make your site more searchable. I was on page 1 in a super competitive market and averaged 2-5 hot leads every few days in a Seller’s market. Not to bad.
  • LA · Member since 2017 · 17 posts · 9 votes
    8y

    Excuse me if I over looked a post but how does editing their standard template affect search results?

    What I mean by this is looking into both oncarrot and leadpropeller, as well as many other wholesaler websites, THEY ARE ALL SO WORDY and CLUTTERED.  I would love to make my site more visually pleasing and less overwhelming; to the point. 

    I’m sure removing keywords would affect results. 

    Would love to hear yalls thoughts. 

  • Real Estate Agent · Pasadena, CA · Member since 2015 · 93 posts · 12 votes
    8y

    @Tyler Ford, I"m just now reading this thread and applogize if you have already answered this question of lead conversion with Investor Carrot. I see you have closed about 1 of every 4 leads. Are those seller or buyer leads? IF wholesale seller leads, how many of those were willing to discount their properties to the standard wholesale formula of .65-.70 of ARV? Also, did you have to target an area by zip or by absentee owner or just SEO search terms? And one last question, one comment said Lead Propeller gave similar results, but one had more phone calls come in and one had emails come in. What is your experience with this with Carrot and if it even matters if you have deal flow. Thank you!

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.