BiggerPockets Founder · HI · Member since 2008 · 16k+ posts · 5k+ votes
After talking with quite a few people and after reading some interesting reviews, it seems that the iPad could be a real game changer for the real estate business (and many others). With that in mind, I thought we could talk about some of the ways that you think the iPad could change your business or the real estate business in general.
Residential Real Estate Broker · Payson, AZ · Member since 2009 · 3k+ posts · 1k+ votes
16y
Josh, care to share some of the things you've heard/seen that give you the impression it will change the game?
I personally think, not one single consumer item by itself will have any measurable effect. Sure, it may help a few people here and there with this or that, but overall, placing it in the 'game changing' category, I don't think I'll subscribe to that magazine.
Real Estate Agent · Bellflower, CA · Member since 2010 · 25 posts · 3 votes
16y
The 3G version will be the game changer, not the current wi-fi only version out right now. I wonder how much the monthly plan will be for the 3G version...I don't think I can afford $200/mo for an iPhone and iPad.
Residential Real Estate Broker · Payson, AZ · Member since 2009 · 3k+ posts · 1k+ votes
16y
Josh, care to share some of the things you've heard/seen that give you the impression it will change the game?
I personally think, not one single consumer item by itself will have any measurable effect. Sure, it may help a few people here and there with this or that, but overall, placing it in the 'game changing' category, I don't think I'll subscribe to that magazine.
Investor · Diamond Bar, CA · Member since 2009 · 446 posts · 233 votes
16y
I do not think it is a game changing tool because it offers nothing more than a smart phone, iTouch, or lap top / web book with wireless card can get us already. Yes it is a nice tool but not a game changer.
I would be interested in what people believe could be a game changer.
Rental Property Investor · Lisbon, CT · Member since 2008 · 120 posts · 29 votes
16y
Josh - are you being serious?
I get the sense either you are making a farce or you are one of those hard-up apple product lovers.
Yes it's innovative (like an oversised ipod touch) I guess... But how is this much different than a netbook or a tablet when it comes to business as usual?
In fact that technology is seldom used until I'm back at homebase entering financials or doing a repair estimate on a spreadsheet or using formulas for expenses and such.
Now I'm not saying wireless can't come in handy - A smartphone/iPhone is a lifesaver these days with our dependance on email.
Real Estate Investor · CA · Member since 2009 · 138 posts · 19 votes
16y
Personally I think it's a gamechanger only because no one buys tablet pc's (correct me if I'm wrong but I cannot recall seeing someone with a tablet in a long time)
So really Apple has taken what was available and so to speak "Pimped" it out. Added a few apple features,apps, created a buzz for it and called it a day.
SFR Investor · Orange County, CA · Member since 2009 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
16y
What JJC said.
I mean, the iPhone is definitely a useful real estate tool. I even posted something like a dozen real estate uses for the iPhone in another thread somewhere.
But I don't see how much more the iPad brings to the table. Sure, the bigger screen will be nice, but how much is that going to revolutionize the investing world?
Real Estate Investor · Longmont, CO · Member since 2009 · 208 posts · 109 votes
16y
It's hard for me to envision any revolutionary change from this device, but I do think many people are underestimating the impact it will have on the market. I totally disagree that it doesn't offer anything new from the iphone. I also don't think it's anything like a netbook or a laptop, nor is it a replacement for one - they are both arguably more capable but less focused. I do believe it's a new niche which no other manufacturer has effectively exploited yet. I think Apple has set the bar here, and there will be competition, but perhaps it will only be fierce among their competitors. The iphone has been out for years now and still hasn't been dethroned (I recently bought an Android smartphone and while it's a nice attempt, it's laughable when compared side by side and in use).
Where I do think it could shine is in presentation - it's something that can be carried around and produced in a flash, without waiting for boot up time, to present ideas and proposals in a very striking and dynamic visual mode unlike anything we've had before. Two people can huddle in front of a PC, or sit in front of a projector screen, but this is totally portable and intimate in a new way. Apple uses premium materials that you just want to touch and use, and you don't really need any training to get going - just play with it. Used well I think it could be a great tool for selling and getting people excited about your product or service.
For starters, I could see realtors latching on to it to present photos, comps, and stats on site and with greater impact to their clients rather than using reams of paper to print out these things.
Real Estate Agent · Bellflower, CA · Member since 2010 · 25 posts · 3 votes
16y
Wow there seems to be a lot of Apple haters on here. A lot of people also felt the same way about the iPhone when it first came out, thinking it was over hyped and what not. But look at it now, it's totally revolutionized the cell phone market.
And I don't think you can compare an iPad with a netbook because they're each from two completely different markets.
Real Estate Investor · Bergen County, NJ · Member since 2008 · 390 posts · 72 votes
16y
I think the Ipad will be more of a useful tool for Realtors than investors.
Also depends on the Apps they come out with that will help Realtors wow their clients while out house hunting.
Has anyone bought it?
Real Estate Agent · North Jersey, NJ · Member since 2008 · 287 posts · 51 votes
16y
I had the chance to use the iPad yesterday. It's amazing but there's nothing that separates it from the rest of the apple products. Once they start adding some new apps and maybe bring a new version with video conferencing that it would be a real game changer.
SFR Investor · Orange County, CA · Member since 2009 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
16y
Originally posted by Vincent Martinez:
Wow there seems to be a lot of Apple haters on here. A lot of people also felt the same way about the iPhone when it first came out, thinking it was over hyped and what not. But look at it now, it's totally revolutionized the cell phone...
I don't see any Apple "haters" here. This is about the iPad, not the Apple corporation. I have 4 Apple products, an iMac, an iBook, an iPod, and an iPhone. Love them all. But they all have one thing in common that the iPad doesn't share, i.e., they all replaced another device I was already using.
I'm sure the iPad is a cool little device and Apple will sell millions of them, I just don't see myself buying one because I'm not sure what "need" of mine it satisfies.
Investor · McKinney, TX · Member since 2009 · 405 posts · 160 votes
16y
Looks like the upcoming HP Slate will have a lot to offer above and beyond what the iPad currently offers - still don't see it as a 'game changer' though.
Neat gadget, yes.
Laptop replacement, only time will tell.
Wholesaler · Belleville, IL · Member since 2009 · 206 posts · 44 votes
16y
I think workerdrone nailed it in one word - presentation. the thing is just nice to look at. I'm not an apple fanboy or whatever, but i've never met anyone who switched from a pc to a mac and then back, same goes for anyone who's owned an iphone or an ipod. Apple's new products by and large have been "game changers" across the board.
Where Apple's products shine in my opinion is ease of use. I think the iPad will be much more useful for realtors showing comps as workerdrone has stated, but I could definitely see myself using one as an investor. It will depend on the apps of course - but if you can relate what the ipad and itunes did for managing music to what an iPad could do to organize your investments then hopefully you see that it could be a "game changer". I almost despise my spreadsheet format that I use to track my deals, but this is the most highly touted method for managing deals in the pipeline. Hell maybe I need to get to work on an app for the thing
Real Estate Investor · Western, MA · Member since 2010 · 16 posts · 8 votes
16y
I don't think it will change the market until a BP app is developed. :) When is that happening?
I don't know how much of a game chagner it will be. I have some excellent RE apps on my iPhone, but I can take pictures and attach them to notes made in the app.
So a camera and a BP app would make the iPad much better in my book.
SFR Investor · Orange County, CA · Member since 2009 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
16y
Originally posted by Releaf_OC:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lAl28d6tbko
Thanks. That's a minute and 40 seconds of my life I'll never get back. :lol:
Seriously, we went for a drive today in the convertible and stopped by the Apple Store in Fashion Island to "play" with the iPad. Note: 82 degrees, clear and sunny day. Take THAT Chicago!
First impression? It's big... well, bigger than an iPhone. But otherwise using it was just like using an iPhone. The icons all looked the same, you tap it here and there to operate it. The "keyboard" is nice and big so no "near misses" while typing. The photos and movies look great, but otherwise, I just don't know what this thing's role is. It is supposed to replace netbooks? It's way too big to stuff in your pocket, so I don't think it'll replace the iPod Touch (and that looks silly enough when worn on your arm while jogging). Can't wait to see the first person at the gym with an iPad on his arm!
Real Estate Agent · Bellflower, CA · Member since 2010 · 25 posts · 3 votes
16y
That's exactly my point. The iPad doesn't replace anything because there's no other device out there that competes with it. Hence, it is a game changer.
It's way too big to stuff in your pocket, so I don't think it'll replace the iPod Touch (and that looks silly enough when worn on your arm while jogging). Can't wait to see the first person at the gym with an iPad on his arm!
SFR Investor · Orange County, CA · Member since 2009 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
16y
Originally posted by Vincent Martinez:
Just being new doesn't make it a game changer. It has to change the way a large number of people DO things. I'm curious to see what exciting new never-could-be-done-for uses people find for the iPad, but until then, it remains off my must-have list.
Real Estate Agent · Bellflower, CA · Member since 2010 · 25 posts · 3 votes
16y
I may just be too much of an optimist and too much of an Apple fan, but we'll just have to agree to disagree. I just hope you remember this post when you go in to buy an iPad whenever it may be :)
Oh and the Newton was released around the time I was starting kindergarten, so no I don't remember it.
Investor · McKinney, TX · Member since 2009 · 405 posts · 160 votes
16y
I've gotten along without ipods, itouchs, iPhones or any other Apple what nots up to now, so I'm pretty confident an iPad is not something I'll be needing, now or in the foreseeable future.
A BB and an ultraportable Notebook covers all the bases for me.
Not in to the music player scene, and non-tacticle keyboards are far from friendly, so iPods, iPhones, iTouches and iPads are not something I'd have an interest in.
My daughter has an iTouch and I'll admit it was interesting.... for about 5 minutes.