Should brand new investors create social media?

Should brand new investors create social media?

Wholesaler · Provo, UT · Member since 2019 · 79 posts · 48 votes

I'm currently in the process of getting my real estate investing journey underway. For reference, I own the house I live in and I'm on the hunt to purchase a multi-family rental property in the near future.

I feel that social media (i.e. Instagram, Twitter, Facebook, etc.) could be a great way to network and communicate with an audience interested in real estate investing. Since I have not begun buying rental properties or performing major rehabs I feel that I don't have valuable content to produce on these platforms. Does anyone have suggestion for how a new real estate investor can generate value on social media?

0Reply
21 views

Most Popular Reply

Rental Property Investor · Member since 2019 · 407 posts · 267 votes
7y

You can definitely talk about what you're learning...as someone starting out, you'll likely be learning something new every day. A quick one minute video talking about it will start planting the seeds for down the road.

See this reply in the discussion

10 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Rental Property Investor · Member since 2019 · 407 posts · 267 votes
    7y

    You can definitely talk about what you're learning...as someone starting out, you'll likely be learning something new every day. A quick one minute video talking about it will start planting the seeds for down the road.

  • Rental Property Investor · Glen Rock, NJ · Member since 2015 · 3k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    7y

    @Cody Richard

    You can give back to the community by sharing your journey. Be one step ahead of what you plan to do and then reflect on it once the step is completed. My suggestion is to pick a social media based on your target audience. For instance, if your target audience is millennials, then it should be either IS or Twitter. 

    Best of luck!

  • Wholesaler · Provo, UT · Member since 2019 · 79 posts · 48 votes
    7y

    @Alina Trigub Thanks for the advice! I think it's a great idea to paint a picture of the journey from a new real estate investor to an experienced real estate investor.

  • Wholesaler · Provo, UT · Member since 2019 · 79 posts · 48 votes
    7y

    @Seth Ferguson Appreciate the feedback! I like the idea of giving a quick lessons learned each day.

  • Real Estate Broker · Cleveland Dayton Cincinnati Toledo Columbus & Akron, OH · Member since 2013 · 30k+ posts · 20k+ votes
    7y
    Originally posted by @Cody Richard:

    I'm currently in the process of getting my real estate investing journey underway. For reference, I own the house I live in and I'm on the hunt to purchase a multi-family rental property in the near future.

    I feel that social media (i.e. Instagram, Twitter, Facebook, etc.) could be a great way to network and communicate with an audience interested in real estate investing. Since I have not begun buying rental properties or performing major rehabs I feel that I don't have valuable content to produce on these platforms. Does anyone have suggestion for how a new real estate investor can generate value on social media?

     Well as someone who earns the majority of his living via social media I can tell you that the best thing to do is just tell your story. Everyone has to start from somewhere. I think you'd be surprised how well people are drawn into others who are out there doing what they do, making mistakes and being honest about their journey. Don't try to look like a hot shot. Try to look like exactly what you are, a dude who's brand new to the business who is ready to get his hands dirty and screw some stuff up and grow while learning from said screw ups.

  • Real Estate Broker · Cleveland Dayton Cincinnati Toledo Columbus & Akron, OH · Member since 2013 · 30k+ posts · 20k+ votes
    7y
    Originally posted by @Seth Ferguson:

    You can definitely talk about what you're learning...as someone starting out, you'll likely be learning something new every day. A quick one minute video talking about it will start planting the seeds for down the road.

     Boom. Great call Seth.

  • Rental Property Investor · Durham, NC · Member since 2016 · 7k+ posts · 7k+ votes
    7y

    @Cody Richard be genuine and authentic, and use BiggerPockets as much as possible. I wouldn’t get overly concerned with stuff like Facebook, Instagram and so forth. I don’t have Instagram, i don’t have Twitter, I don’t post anything about real estate on Facebook. It works for me

  • Wholesaler · Provo, UT · Member since 2019 · 79 posts · 48 votes
    7y

    @James Wise Love this approach! Thanks for the advice James! I agree that storytelling is a powerful within social media.

  • Wholesaler · Provo, UT · Member since 2019 · 79 posts · 48 votes
    7y

    @Caleb Heimsoth BiggerPockets is a super valuable resource. I agree that going forward, this is a great community and I should work to be more active!

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.