Rental Property Investor · Neenah, WI · Member since 2019 · 39 posts · 10 votes
Hi everyone! I’m from Wisconsin.
I gave a 30 days notice to my current landlord and she was trying to make me to pay next month. We’re month to month agreement since my 6 months contract ended this June. She told me a a day ago by text that she is showing the property this Saturday and I told her that I have people coming over but she just ignored me. Today , when I got home from work she left two notices telling me that she have people comimg over to see the property on two different days. I called her to inform her that my neighbors from downstairs are smoking and the odor is going upstairs (to my apartment) and she rejected my call. To me it seems that she is up to something so she can keep my deposit. The reason I’m moving is becase she takes for ever to take care of the maintenance of the property.
What I must do for not get rip off with my deposit? Is she have the right to bring people to see the property event though I told her that I have people coming over on that date? What if she don’t pay me back my deposit?
I gave a 30 days notice to my current landlord and she was trying to make me to pay next month. We’re month to month agreement since my 6 months contract ended this June. She told me a a day ago by text that she is showing the property this Saturday and I told her that I have people coming over but she just ignored me. Today , when I got home from work she left two notices telling me that she have people comimg over to see the property on two different days. I called her to inform her that my neighbors from downstairs are smoking and the odor is going upstairs (to my apartment) and she rejected my call. To me it seems that she is up to something so she can keep my deposit. The reason I’m moving is becase she takes for ever to take care of the maintenance of the property.
What I must do for not get rip off with my deposit? Is she have the right to bring people to see the property event though I told her that I have people coming over on that date? What if she don’t pay me back my deposit?
What does your lease say? My property manager lease agreement states after renter gives notice to vacate property. Property will be advertised for rent and shown with 24 hour notice. It's all about the lease you signed.
I gave a 30 days notice to my current landlord and she was trying to make me to pay next month. We’re month to month agreement since my 6 months contract ended this June. She told me a a day ago by text that she is showing the property this Saturday and I told her that I have people coming over but she just ignored me. Today , when I got home from work she left two notices telling me that she have people comimg over to see the property on two different days. I called her to inform her that my neighbors from downstairs are smoking and the odor is going upstairs (to my apartment) and she rejected my call. To me it seems that she is up to something so she can keep my deposit. The reason I’m moving is becase she takes for ever to take care of the maintenance of the property.
What I must do for not get rip off with my deposit? Is she have the right to bring people to see the property event though I told her that I have people coming over on that date? What if she don’t pay me back my deposit?
What does your lease say? My property manager lease agreement states after renter gives notice to vacate property. Property will be advertised for rent and shown with 24 hour notice. It's all about the lease you signed.
Real Estate Broker · Columbus, OH · Member since 2013 · 3k+ posts · 1k+ votes
7y
@Norma E. Vega Sanchez No worries...there is typically a centralized tenant advocacy group in every city/state. There are also free legal aid organizations you can turn to if it comes down to it, but hopefully you don't have to go that far. It may be enough to casually mention to your landlord that you've contact the state designated authority on tenant rights and they are looking at your situation...and as a courtesy you have provided your landlords contact information ;)
Chicago, IL · Member since 2018 · 546 posts · 227 votes
7y
Hi Norma,
Since it sounds like you provided 30 days notice that you're vacating, the landlord is in the right as far as being able to show the property, they just need to make sure to give you adequate notice beforehand. Having said that, as others have mentioned above, really take a look at that lease. And if you're worried about the landlord keeping your deposit, there are plenty of resources you can use (sounds like Brandon has that covered in his comments above!). I hope things work out! And best of luck on your search for your next rental. @Norma E. Vega Sanchez