PLEASE LET THIS BE REAL- MIND BLOWN

5 Replies

hey guys, i hope this isin't just marketing hype

check out http://www.builddirect.com/Porcelain-Tile/Sierra-G...

Flexible porecelain tile sounds like a dream come true, but pricey

Thanks for sharing the link. The video was the most informative, as well as the spec sheet. We'll stick with interlocking vinyl plank flooring. Seeing how these porcelain (infused with plastic} planks are installed, I don't see how the floor could be waterproof, as it seems moisture could easily slip through the crack between the tiles.

@Will G.

Thank you for the link.  Had seen the product in one of my husband's home building trade magazines a few months ago and was very intrigued, but could not find any local vendors or a U.S. website that showed a price.  We like to be aware of what is on the market to give his clients their full options.

If you decide to try it or get a sample, please update with your opinion.

Seems like the first installation method that requires no adhesive and the claim that "planks are extremely flexible and self-level above the substrate to create a flat surface, even over imperfect subfloors, making for an exceptionally easy installation" could be an issue when the subfloor is not level.  I imagine on a 5' plank if you have a dip in the subfloor and someone walks over one end the other end might raise up?

Or if you were to jump up and down a plank would just bounces off and land back down in a slightly different spot.

I think one must install it REALLY tight, or else when walking around over time you might end up with a gap between two planks and you will pull you hair out to shift everything back to close the gap, only to have to do the same thing again in two weeks.

Well, for "wet" areas, like kitchen and bath, the details at that site indicate that "conventional" installation is required; I read that to mean thinset and grout. 

Sam, good points made. Looks like it might be best for slabs only and I guess the underlayment keeps it from moving. I hope a bp member trys it so we can all get feedback!

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community

Basic membership is free, forever.