Personal Development in 2016

Personal Development in 2016

Douglas SkipworthBusiness Member
Rental Property Investor · Memphis, TN · Member since 2014 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes

Like many people in BP community, I'm a personal development and real estate investing nerd.

I would love to know what everyone is thinking/planing/doing for their personal and real estate growth in 2016.

Here's a great outline if you don't have a plan already. I've always heard that you're a combination of (1) the things you read, (2) the things you listen to, and (3) the people you hang out with. This article adds two more (events and places).

I love BiggerPockets because it definitely covers GREAT PEOPLE, GREAT MESSAGES, and GREAT BOOKS.

Success Magazine - January 2016 issue

John Maxwell

Page 19, Inset

Great Tools for Growth

What will you use to form and achieve your plan for growth?

Intentionally plan your growth by committing yourself to the discipline of learning in these five areas.

1. GREAT PEOPLE - The people you surround yourself with will shape you more than anything else. Spend time with talented, experienced, growing people. (Tactic - Schedule one lunch a month with someone who will stretch your thinking.)

2. GREAT MESSAGES - In our connected world, you literally have access to thousands of speakers at your fingertips. Take advantage of that! (Tactic - Listen to one message that challenges you every week.)

3. GREAT PLACES - Find places that inspire and instruct you, and spend time there. Soak up your surroundings and see what they can teach you. (Tactic - Plan one trip every year that will inspire you.)

4. GREAT EVENTS - Conferences, workshops, and celebrations stimulate you to engage with your environment and learn from it. (Tactic - Set aside time and money to attend one per year.)

5. GREAT BOOKS - Great books can give you access to a world of mentors with experience in any area. Read deeply to guide and improve your thinking. (Tactic - Commit to reading a book every month. If possible, increase that discipline to one per week.)

Investor's Guide to Memphis Real Estate
View Page
0Reply
26 views

2 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Investor · Noxon, MT · Member since 2014 · 3 posts · 1 vote
    10y

    Thanks for sharing, I to get the success magazine, I had to go back and look at that article  again, I am a Big fan of John Maxwell.

  • Memphis, TN · Member since 2015 · 43 posts · 27 votes
    10y
    Good post. I am studying for my R/E license so that is a biggie for 2016. I am also networking with a historic preservation group in my area and signed up to volunteer with the Land Use Committee in my neighborhood association. I am already a voracious reader and podcast listener so that won't change; however, a personal goal is to scale back my consumption of social media like FB. Other than cute kid and animal pics, it's such a time waste for me
Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.