Window installation advice needed on live in flip

4 Replies

I am doing my first live-in flip and all the windows in the house need replaced. I've received 5 quotes now but there all from the bigger name brands and the price is high. I need advice. What do people here on BP do? Do you buy the windows and find a contractor to install them? If so, how do you go about finding a contractor? 

I have only replaced a few windows in 1 unit, but found a local builder that purchases windows made locally. The price was quite good and the windows appear to be of good quality. Time will tell.

What price was quoted? $400 a pop for regular sizes is pretty standard with required trim and flashing.

Replaced windows in three houses, took quotes, hired contractors, have replaced a few by myself after watching the professionals.  basically, they used jenweld from lowes double hung, double pane.  Found that out when I had a broke pane. looked for the replacement, called jenweld, they told me what to look for in the corner of the window, the sticker on the window and sent me the replacement.  every time I hire a contractor,   I get an education, as we all know a good education is expensive sometimes.  

customized dual pane vinyl windows. Retro installer.

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Create Lasting Wealth Through Real Estate

Join the millions of people achieving financial freedom through the power of real estate investing

Start here