Hiring experts when you are not one

Hiring experts when you are not one

CA · Member since 2019 · 35 posts · 8 votes

How do you feel confident in hiring a professional when you don't have any background to evaluate their expertise. I know it is best to start with recommendations of people you've already worked with but I'm still early in my "career" and don't have a trusted solid network established and even then things don't always work out. 

Here's my story. I have two buildings which require a soft story retrofit. For Building A, a contractor I've worked with recommended Engineer 1. As the project scope increased I hired Architect. Seems the Engineer 1 was only interested in drawing up a quick plan and moving on. So Architect recommended Engineer 2 who is a partner in a seemingly a reputable firm. Engineer 2's firm  partner works with the city on large city projects and planning. A year later, news breaks that the city is suing firm's partner for fraudulent work. Technically Engineer 2 who oversaw my plans wasn't involved though he is being dragged into the suit by extension. Architect assures me this issue with the other partner and city doesn't impact the soundness of my engineering plans.


Still I'm not keen to work with this firm again. So for Building 2 I got recommendations for other engineers.  I only hear back from one.  Engineer 3 seems honest (gut feeling) and mentions that this building should get a retrofit. Engineer 1 had signed off that the building didn't need a retrofit. According to Engineer 3 that wasn't technically wrong by the language of the ordinance, but misses the "spirit" of the ordinance, that is sufficient structural integrity. Later learned Engineer 1 never physically when down to the foundation, so I am inclined to believe Engineer 3.

The undertaking for Building 2 is going to be costly. Engineer 3 has done other soft story work, though I don't know of this scope. However I like that he isn't pressuring me to do anything quickly and seems happy to talk me through the process. It is hard to find an available engineer these days but should I still try to get a second opinion from another engineer? 

I guess my main question is at what point can you feel confident in trusting a professional when what they are doing is well outside your scope of knowledge? What is sufficient due diligence and what is just paranoia?

0Reply
11 views

5 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Developer · Charlottesville, VA · Member since 2018 · 4k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    7y

    Hi Maria,

     You should definitely get a couple of opinions as they could vary. Try to seek out engineers who specialize in soft story projects. Preferably larger reputable firms.  We could also talk to the other building owners who had to do the same thing.  You can also talj the city Engineereing department and get there opinion.

     Bottom line a professional engineer has a license and insurance and will certify their work but opinions sometimes vary. Better safe than sorry.

  • CA · Member since 2019 · 35 posts · 8 votes
    7y

    Thanks Greg. Follow up... when consulting/interviewing prospective engineers is it worth having "as-built" plans in hand?

    The engineer I'm considering suggested drawing up "as-built" plans so we can "see" the building's structure. Once I have them, he said I could take them to someone else if I wanted to. Is that accepted practice to have one engineer draw plans and then go with an other engineer for final design? Or is their an implicit understanding, though no official contract as yet, that I will contract him to do the final work?

    I want to be sure I'm appropriately managing the expectations of people I might be working with.

  • Rental Property Investor · Columbus, OH · Member since 2017 · 3k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    7y

    Maria,

    Referrals.

    Personal referrals are your eyes and ears as far as what the contractor is like and how he will operate. They will tell you the contractors faults and expertise.  They will also let you know if he is trustworthy.

  • Developer · Charlottesville, VA · Member since 2018 · 4k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    7y

    Hub maria - I think you should have a couple of engineers visit the property and give you an opomooof what needs to be done. I would not take one engineers work to another for a second opinion.

  • CA · Member since 2019 · 35 posts · 8 votes
    7y

    Thanks for the replies. 

    When hiring professionals like architects or engineers, what type of insurance should they carry? I am not hiring a large firm, but an individual engineer.

    Thanks,

    Carolyn

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.