What a good price for gutting a house

3 Replies

I’m trying to start a remodel business. I figured I can start off by gutting properties and build from there especially because I have plenty of helpers who can gut but not build. I just wondering what would’ve a good price scale

A good price for who? The contractor or the consumer?

As for being a contractor, you need to figure out all of your overhead: labor, workman's compensation insurances, payroll & sales taxes,  general liability insurance, truck expenses, tool expenses, office consumables, advertising etc. Another huge expense for demo crews is carting the stuff they tear out.

You have to figure out how much all of that stuff cost you per hour. Then figure out how many productive/billable hours a day you can actually work your crew and divide (overhead÷billable hrs). Then you need to figure out how much profit you'd like to make and multiply. 

Hi Desmond 

In in Oklahoma seamless gutter guys are getting about $5 a foot for 5" and in goes up for there.

I thank this is a good way to get so remodel work seems like some fascia/soffia work would be pretty easyto work in. good luck!

Demolition is a great business . There are a few companies in my area thats all they do . And they are busy and make good money .  Pricing is regional . Lets say a contractor pays his guys who do carpentry $35 an hour ., His burdened labor costs are $60 an hour , so he bills them out at $95 an hour to make a profit .  now if you do demo , the skill level is much lower than a carpenter , their pay would be around $17 an hour . Your costs would be around $35 an hour . You bill at around $55 an hour . And the contractors would love you . Because they could be on other jobs while you are doing demo . 

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

We hate spam just as much as you