Hello! I'm completely new to real estate and am doing all I can to educate myself in really all things real estate. My interest are house flipping and the BRRRR method. What I have seen in the research is to find a property you are interested in and compare to other comps in the same neighborhood. However, I've come to realize that Utah (the market I'm in) is a non-disclosure state so I can't find data on sales prices. I'm hoping this forum can help me understand what my alternatives are. If I reach out to a realtor, will they expect me to pay them to collect comps for me? Same question for lenders? Other ideas? Thanks in advance!
Real Estate Consultant · Madison, NJ · Member since 2016 · 6k+ posts · 7k+ votes
1y
The only way to truly do comps in any market is via MLS access. No realtor is just going to run comps for you unless they are a good friend of yours, and even then, they usually will run them incorrectly. Access to MLS is one of the best reasons for investors to get their license since it's such a low bar to entry and low annual fees for that and access to all dumps on the market. Even in disclosure states, sales data is not all reported to the sites so you need the MLS to be the most accurate.