Offering on a BRRRR Property

Offering on a BRRRR Property

Member since 2022 · 7 posts · 5 votes

Im analyzing my first BRRRR property,figured out my ARV range, and ive noticed that in order to pull ALL of our money out during the Refi stage, we have to make really, really low offers.

Im just wondering what percentage range some of you successful guys (and ladies) are comfortable leaving in a deal so that I can offer something more appealing to lock a property up.

1Reply
22 views

Most Popular Reply

Nicholas L.Pro Member
Flipper/Rehabber · Pittsburgh · Member since 2018 · 6k+ posts · 5k+ votes
1y

@Jesse Hubble

I think you have to make that determination yourself.  Anyone else's financial situation and real estate portfolio are going to be very different from yours.  Just because we leave X% or Y$ in a deal doesn't mean that would make any sense for you.

I give you kudos though for figuring out how aggressive you have to be for a BRRRR to work. It's very, very difficult to find them right now, even off market. There is such demand for BRRRR-able inventory that it's resulted in 'bidding wars' among investors just like for on-market properties.

See this reply in the discussion

7 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Nicholas L.Pro Member
    Flipper/Rehabber · Pittsburgh · Member since 2018 · 6k+ posts · 5k+ votes
    1y

    @Jesse Hubble

    I think you have to make that determination yourself.  Anyone else's financial situation and real estate portfolio are going to be very different from yours.  Just because we leave X% or Y$ in a deal doesn't mean that would make any sense for you.

    I give you kudos though for figuring out how aggressive you have to be for a BRRRR to work. It's very, very difficult to find them right now, even off market. There is such demand for BRRRR-able inventory that it's resulted in 'bidding wars' among investors just like for on-market properties.

  • Investor · Madison WI · Member since 2021 · 140 posts · 103 votes
    1y

    Depends on your goals. I typically have a 5 year hold timeline, so I'm not looking to get 100% out. I also prioritize cashflow, which requires leaving some money in the property right now. For me, it's a balance of a safe LTV and a worthwhile cash on cash return. Up until this point, I've been able to pull 2nd positions or helocs on an existing property for the downpayment, intially pay cash for the renovations, then refinance or 2nd position after renovation to get the renovation money back out. So the down payment in this case stays as equity in the property. The current interest rate market and lack of inventory has slowed this process down significantly.

  • Pat LulewiczBusiness Member
    Realtor · Raleigh NC and Greensboro, NC · Member since 2019 · 391 posts · 392 votes
    1y

    10%-12% is the limit in our conversative underwriting case. Everything can always change in application (reno, rent amount, interest rate, ARV). We've generally been leaving 0% - 8% in the deal over the last 2 years.

  • Member since 2023 · 158 posts · 96 votes
    1y

    I think it depends on your goals. If you’re trying to scale fast and recycle cash, leaving 5 to 10 percent in can still be a win if the cash flow holds up. For me, if the property is in a solid area and the rents are strong, I’m okay leaving a little in to lock in a good long-term hold.

  • Ko KashiwagiPro Member
    Lender · Los Angeles, CA · Member since 2022 · 967 posts · 445 votes
    1y

    Hi Jesse,

    Every investor is different but in my view only looking at deals that you can pull 100% out is difficult in this market and potential significantly delay (or even deter) from doing your first deal. I do many refinances for BRRRR investors day to day and I'd say majority of those refinances do not take out 100% of what they put in.

    Good luck!!

  • Realtor · NJ · Member since 2023 · 215 posts · 99 votes
    1y

    It is hard to find a perfect BRRRR deal on the market these days. Personally, I am comfortable with leaving up to 50K in the deal.

    50K to have 20% equity in a fully renovated home that will be cash flowing sounds like a win to me. 

  • John O'LearyPro Member
    Lender · Winter Park, FL · Member since 2021 · 737 posts · 412 votes
    1y

    Lenders typically max out at 75% (some up to 80%) of appraised value on a cash out refinances and Debt Service needs to be at least at 1.0.  If you are good at comping values and rents you can simply work the math backwards based on what your lender is telling you your rate would be at 75%. 

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.