Raising appraisal value: Split utilities or focus on renovations

Raising appraisal value: Split utilities or focus on renovations

Jordan KuhlePro Member
Brookings, SD · Member since 2017 · 3 posts · 2 votes

Hi guys! Finally bought my first rental property. It is a duplex in need of a full rehab. I am wondering what appraisers focus on more with an investment property? NOI or condition and amenities. I can lower my monthly expenses $300 a month by splitting the gas and water, but it would cut into my rehab budget quite a bit. In a perfect world I would split utilities and do a full renovation, but for now I'd like to focus on getting a high appraisal and getting my money out of the deal. Then I would save up the money to convert the utilities over the next few years. Just wondering what you guys would do in this situation and knowing what to focus on for a higher appraisal. Thank you!

2Reply
30 views

4 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Real Estate Agent · Kansas City · Member since 2018 · 4k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    1y

    2-4 units is based on comps. I would mirror ones similar that have sold. 

  • Realtor · NJ · Member since 2023 · 215 posts · 99 votes
    1y

    Agree with Caleb here. It would be a lot easier / cheaper to split utilities when property is gutted as opposed to doing it after it's fully renovated.

    • Jordan KuhlePro Member
      OP
      Brookings, SD · Member since 2017 · 3 posts · 2 votes
      1y

      @JooYung Choi I agree with this. My dad and I do hvac and plumbing, so we'll have to remove drywall etc. I think I'll spend the extra money up front to convert it. So the appraisal won't be based on NOI and cap rate? I wasn't sure because the unit is only ideal for an investor or someone looking to house hack.

  • Ko KashiwagiPro Member
    Lender · Los Angeles, CA · Member since 2022 · 967 posts · 445 votes
    1y

    Hi Jordan,

    How much is the extra rehab cost for splitting utilities? If you're keeping the property for a while, it sounds like it would be a good idea to say 300 a month given the breakeven number makes sense. I would also look at other comps and decide from there.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.