馃彋 BRRRR V. Turnkey 馃彙

馃彋 BRRRR V. Turnkey 馃彙

Real Estate Agent 路 Dallas, TX 路 Member since 2017 路 136 posts 路 141 votes

How did you transition from 20% down on turn key/mostly ready properties to BRRRRing and/or any other sort of buying off market deals cash? Given my market, Dallas, every time I save 40kish my first thought is let鈥檚 get pre approved for another rental!

1.) Did you guys just sit around until you saved up enough to afford a property + repairs in cash?

2.) Did you kick it off with a hard money loan? (Seems risky for FIRST BRRRR)

3.) Did you buy a bunch of 20%ers until a couple appreciated enough to sell/cash out refinance?

2Reply
28 views

Most Popular Reply

Andy WebbPro Member
Rental Property Investor 路 Carrollton, TX 路 Member since 2013 路 750 posts 路 538 votes
6y

I went straight to BRRRR and have used the hard-money route throughout. If you are working with a good hard-money lender, they will be part of your team and will be a great sounding board to make sure the deal is a good one...if anything, having that extra set of eyes on the deal is less risky in my view. Plus if you are buying right, with a good spread to where it makes sense to even use hard-money, you should have a decent equity cushion to absorb minor missteps.

See this reply in the discussion

35 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Andy WebbPro Member
    Rental Property Investor 路 Carrollton, TX 路 Member since 2013 路 750 posts 路 538 votes
    6y

    I went straight to BRRRR and have used the hard-money route throughout. If you are working with a good hard-money lender, they will be part of your team and will be a great sounding board to make sure the deal is a good one...if anything, having that extra set of eyes on the deal is less risky in my view. Plus if you are buying right, with a good spread to where it makes sense to even use hard-money, you should have a decent equity cushion to absorb minor missteps.

  • Real Estate Agent 路 Dallas, TX 路 Member since 2017 路 136 posts 路 141 votes
    6y

    @Andy Webb I hadn鈥檛 thought about that aspect of gaining mentorship from a hard money lender just as I鈥檝e had with my current lender. I see you鈥檙e in my area, good to know there鈥檚 a healthy BRRRRable market here

  • Farmers Branch Texas 路 Member since 2019 路 11 posts 路 2 votes
    6y

    I am also in the Dallas area. I have done the same thing now I'm trying to do my first BRRRR. I've thought about teaming up with an investor but not sure if I should. Would it be good to do it once with a partner

  • Real Estate Agent 路 Dallas, TX 路 Member since 2017 路 136 posts 路 141 votes
    6y

    @Steven Schaad same, sometimes I think that if I m need to team up because I need the extra cash then I should mind as well get a hard money loan.

  • Farmers Branch Texas 路 Member since 2019 路 11 posts 路 2 votes
    6y

    @Ivan Loza exactly. What part of DALLAS do you do rentals in? I operate in the farmers branch area

  • Real Estate Agent 路 Dallas, TX 路 Member since 2017 路 136 posts 路 141 votes
    6y

    @Steven Schaad Nice, how many years now? I just got started over a year ago and in the oak cliff area of Dallas. The whole metroplex is pretty great as far as appreciation is concerned imo

  • Farmers Branch Texas 路 Member since 2019 路 11 posts 路 2 votes
    6y

    @Ivan Loza I bought my first about 3 years ago. I have 4 right now and am wanting to do 2 a year.  How many do you have? 

  • Real Estate Agent 路 Dallas, TX 路 Member since 2017 路 136 posts 路 141 votes
    6y

    @Steven Schaad Nice, congrats on all of your deals. 2 right now. Searching for my 3rd next month and aiming to get 2 this year as well.

  • Farmers Branch Texas 路 Member since 2019 路 11 posts 路 2 votes
    6y

    @Ivan Loza that鈥檚 awesome congrats. I work at 30 and Hampton id love to grab lunch and hear more about your investments and how you do it.

  • Real Estate Agent 路 Dallas, TX 路 Member since 2017 路 136 posts 路 141 votes
    6y

    @Steven Schaad sure thing, I live off of Hampton actually. Will send DM

  • Real Estate Broker 路 Cleveland Dayton Cincinnati Toledo Columbus & Akron, OH 路 Member since 2013 路 30k+ posts 路 20k+ votes
    6y
    Originally posted by @Ivan Loza:

    How did you transition from 20% down on turn key/mostly ready properties to BRRRRing and/or any other sort of buying off market deals cash? Given my market, Dallas, every time I save 40kish my first thought is let鈥檚 get pre approved for another rental!

    1.) Did you guys just sit around until you saved up enough to afford a property + repairs in cash?

    2.) Did you kick it off with a hard money loan? (Seems risky for FIRST BRRRR)

    3.) Did you buy a bunch of 20%ers until a couple appreciated enough to sell/cash out refinance?

    With how tight the markets are across the USA I'd imagine you'd be looking for a needle in a haystack if you were trying to get a BRRRR so profitable that you were able to pull all of your money back out AND pay of a HML. Not a practical scenario for anyone to just jump into. Takes $1,000's and $1,000's spent on marketing and infrastructure every month to find seller's that distressed and be able to pull everything off on time and on budget to do something like that.

  • Real Estate Agent 路 Dallas, TX 路 Member since 2017 路 136 posts 路 141 votes
    6y

    @James Wise that鈥檚 my concern. That there are so many variables dependent on my ability to very accurately predict costs and time frames

  • Real Estate Broker 路 Cleveland Dayton Cincinnati Toledo Columbus & Akron, OH 路 Member since 2013 路 30k+ posts 路 20k+ votes
    6y
    Originally posted by @Ivan Loza:

    @James Wise that鈥檚 my concern. That there are so many variables dependent on my ability to very accurately predict costs and time frames

    Then you should stick with turnkey. BRRRR's isn't really investing so much as it's running a construction and marketing business.

  • Rental Property Investor 路 Las Vegas, NV 路 Member since 2014 路 137 posts 路 118 votes
    6y
    Originally posted by @James Wise:
    Originally posted by @Ivan Loza:

    @James Wise that鈥檚 my concern. That there are so many variables dependent on my ability to very accurately predict costs and time frames

    Then you should stick with turnkey. BRRRR's isn't really investing so much as it's running a construction and marketing business.

    Excellent way to say it James. I am still looking to do a BRRRR but it really has to be a unique situation, and the market is pretty tough to find one worthwhile right now. The BRRRR model is exciting but just not as repeatable as you'd like.

  • Andrew SyriosPro Member
    Moderator
    Residential Real Estate Investor 路 Kansas City, MO 路 Member since 2014 路 10k+ posts 路 5k+ votes
    6y

    Probably the best way to finance BRRRR deals is with private money. Partnerships can work as well. The key thing, though, is the quality of the deal. If you can buy at 70-75% market value, it will be much easier to convince someone to lend on that property.

  • Austin 路 Member since 2018 路 108 posts 路 47 votes
    6y

    @Andrew Syrios just a small nit but for BRRRR to be really effective, you want to be all in at 70-75%. This includes closing, holding, rehab and refi costs.

  • Lender 路 Member since 2020 路 126 posts 路 77 votes
    6y

    @Ivan Loza

    Hey Ivan,

       I like where your mind is at. The more questiosn you ask the more you will learn. As well as the people in which respond and lend advice all have their own strategy and different expierences that led them there.

    It's good to look at ways to use other people's money, with your own to purchase and invest in properties you normally would not have been able to, or would have had to wait substanillay longer before aquiring it.

    I believe as in Investor doing Fix and Flips/BRRR, the amount of houses you can put through that process in a given time frame, will directly affect how successful you will be at it. Depending the type of lending you recieve, will determine how any properties you can purchase in a year and at what cost. Everyone's end game is different, people have different goals in mind on how they will one day retire or semi-retire. That being said, we all pretty much can start at the same point with the same weapons at all disposal, but are paths to the end, most times will be different.

      Its important to know what your goals are for Now and in the future so you can best plan each strategy you look to deploy.

    Lets Connect and pick this up further

  • Rental Property Investor 路 Houston, TX 路 Member since 2018 路 25 posts 路 11 votes
    6y

    @Andy Webb Never seen a investor this way, do you recommend who you worked with. Do you think I could get their contact info?

  • Real Estate Broker 路 Bradenton, FL 路 Member since 2017 路 544 posts 路 363 votes
    6y

    @Ivan Loza

    I paid cash for purchase and repairs on my first BRRR, but it was only like 37k total.

    I think your approach to it should depend on your market, your skill set, and your resources/network. Any way you can get an edge in those will help.

    Appraisal is the wildcard in this formula, you can鈥檛 control what an appraiser comes up with.

    As long as you鈥檙e ok with not pulling out 100% of your capital you can definitely find a way to do it.

  • Rental Property Investor 路 Brooke Park Drive 路 Member since 2018 路 1k+ posts 路 2k+ votes
    6y

    You鈥檝e started with the ez shopping route and now you want to switch to tough route.  Not often in life is that ez to do, now that all you know is ez turnkey route that doing brrrr will feel like crap work to you

  • Real Estate Agent 路 Cincinnati, OH 路 Member since 2017 路 51 posts 路 63 votes
    6y

    @Ivan Loza I think the BRRRR strategy is a lot like flipping. It can be really sexy but it requires you constantly find the next deal, execute, then constantly beat your best score so to speak. I think finding turnkey in growing markets is the more sustainable method.

  • Real Estate Agent 路 Dallas, TX 路 Member since 2017 路 136 posts 路 141 votes
    6y

    @TJ Watson @James Wise makes sense it does sound like a lot more hours. Especially at the beginning without a team and system in place. Probably not best for me right not that I鈥檓 a full time teacher and realtor

  • Real Estate Agent 路 Dallas, TX 路 Member since 2017 路 136 posts 路 141 votes
    6y

    @Andrew Syrios that鈥檚 one route I鈥檓 considering. However I鈥檓 aiming to wait a couple more years to boost my credibility first

  • Real Estate Agent 路 Dallas, TX 路 Member since 2017 路 136 posts 路 141 votes
    6y

    @John Wright yeah the fact that I live the fastest growing metroplex (with no signs of stopping) makes me lean towards just getting as many as fast posible. Sit back, collect rent and watch them appreciate.

  • Real Estate Agent 路 Dallas, TX 路 Member since 2017 路 136 posts 路 141 votes
    6y

    @Michael P. Marketing, managing people and a whole lot of predicting. I might just be better off growing my realtor business

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.