How to do heating in triplex with basement, 1st floor, 2nd floor

How to do heating in triplex with basement, 1st floor, 2nd floor

Rental Property Investor · Rochester Hills, MI · Member since 2016 · 49 posts · 18 votes

Hi BP,

I own an upper/lower duplex. I'm converting it into a triplex by finishing part of the basement into a studio flat. The basement flat is a small space, only about 300 sqft. There is one furnace so the heating is shared. The previous owner set up the thermostat in the common area of the basement.

Now I'll have three flats all with shared heating and one thermostat. In the winter, the temperature is going to vary greatly between the basement and second floor flats. What's the best way to ensure the tenants aren't constantly fighting over the thermostat? Should I make the new basement studio completely electric heat? Should I write in the studio flat's new lease the thermostat must be kept at a comfortable temperature for all building occupants, and recommend them by a space heater to cover any temperature difference?

Any help is greatly appreciated!

1Reply
26 views

Most Popular Reply

Investor · Troy, MI · Member since 2017 · 57 posts · 42 votes
9y
You can do a zone damper system with three thermostats. Apx 3k to set up. But works great I like the air boss by arzel
See this reply in the discussion

4 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Investor · Chicago, IL · Member since 2009 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    9y

    Central heating is common in larger buildings.  But central heating is usually not common for gas forced air systems.  I would not use electric heat, but put a furnace in the basement, if you have room for it.  Electric heat is more expensive that gas heat.  You live in Michigan, so I figure that natural gas is regularly delivered to most properties.

  • Investor · Troy, MI · Member since 2017 · 57 posts · 42 votes
    9y
    You can do a zone damper system with three thermostats. Apx 3k to set up. But works great I like the air boss by arzel
  • Investor · Troy, MI · Member since 2017 · 57 posts · 42 votes
    9y
    David, Also is this lower flat going to have a living space and also a bedroom? If so you will need an egress window or door in both the living space and the bedroom. This code requirement could cost +\- $3500. Per window. Assuming you need to dig it out, cut the wall, and install a well and window. If you need help with this let me know I can refer you to someone or explain what you need to do. Jeff
  • Investor · Detroit, MI · Member since 2014 · 360 posts · 354 votes
    9y

    Extend the heat into the lower unit.

    Charge heat based on % of square footage of the building OR

    include the heat, create a program, put it on the budget plan so its equal payments throughout the year and take on 10% so its a profit center for yourself since its an additional risk for yourself.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.