Are here any investors from Topeka, KS?

Are here any investors from Topeka, KS?

Real Estate Investor · Topeka, KS · Member since 2010 · 63 posts · 40 votes

Hi everybody,

I have researched the forum and also the local groups, but haven't found anybody from the Topeka area in Kansas.
I am purchasing here a multifiamily investment property, and I will be looking for a property manager, handyman, etc.

So it would be great if there are any investors from this area, to share maybe some experience and contacts with me.

For the property manager, I have heard a lot about Travis from RMS, but it would be interesting to hear some investors experience with him. Or do you use some other property management company in Topeka?

Thanks!

1Reply
90 views

Most Popular Reply

Topeka, KS · Member since 2020 · 9 posts · 7 votes
5y


Hey to all. I own a property management company, I own rentals, do fix n flip, and occasionally wholesale. Would love to connect with you all! Love to Topeka and Real Estate! Let's connect!

See this reply in the discussion

31 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Member since 2019 · 3 posts · 3 votes
    7y

    Hello John, I have not been able to find a good and reliable management company in Topeka,  I tried 3 of the largest companies including RMS, and had no luck.  I felt that I was paying for services that were subpar and not comparable to other cities.  That was about 5 years ago, so I am not sure if they have improved. I am doing my own rental management for properties I have in Topeka, and I hardly ever have vacancies.  That was not the case with the management companies I used.

  • Investor · Topeka, KS · Member since 2015 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    7y

    @John K.  Hey John.  I am a Topeka resident and investor.  @Eduardo Alfonso is right, we have only crap PMs in Topeka.  Although, I personally feel that 90% of all PMs are crap.  That being said, I'm always happy to chat about Topeka real estate.  I am in touch with 4 or 5 investors here in town.  

  • Topeka, KS · Member since 2017 · 27 posts · 1 vote
    7y

    I have been on BP about a year, and live in Topeka.

    I am glad to know you guys are here too.  I starting thinking that I need to do something as I am getting older, and this is it.

    read a lot about househacking, and think buying a duplex and live in one unit and rent the other sounds good to me.

    How do you guys in Topeka recommend I find these.  I don't think I can afford the new ones out west, and will have to be under 100K older type conversion houses.  I looked at some and they seem kinda old and scary foundations and locations.

    Do you know of any investor friendly realtors here in topeka, and ways I can find these, and what to look for and what to watch out for. 

    Also, are there any meetups, ways to connect, in town?

  • Member since 2019 · 1 post · 0 votes
    7y

    I’m also looking into multi family 3-3 units. Let’s start a meetup. I know of another investor I turned on to bp. 

  • Member since 2020 · 2 posts · 2 votes
    5y

    I have been interested in this work for a long time. I have just been trying to find the right people to kinda show me some of the ropes and help me find my first investment. Technically I have been working on the house I naught about two years ago I am just waiting till it’s been two years to sell so I don’t have to pay taxes on it. I am interested in learning the business side of flipping and selling houses. I know a lot of the labor sides of fixing up a home like, materials and labor and issues that can come up when fixing homes. I understand the budget and the cost. I would like to learn how to get started finding properties for low and also have a mentor and or partner. I am located in Topeka and want to learn

  • Rental Property Investor · Fishers, IN · Member since 2016 · 335 posts · 470 votes
    5y

    Topeka!  I love tertiary markets.  Tell me about Topeka.  Kansas City is close by and is a hot rental market from a cash flow stand-point.  Good appeal.  

    Does anyone living in Topeka commute to KC?  Is Topeka growing?  Love to hear about markets outside of my knowledge, as every market is so different. 

  • Member since 2020 · 2 posts · 2 votes
    5y

    Topeka has both a good rental market and selling market but I would prefer to sell in Topeka I work in law enforcement and see how rental properties get treated out here and the issues that come with them. But there is a lot of work in Topeka and a lot of people move to the area because of that work.

  • Investor · Topeka, KS · Member since 2020 · 3 posts · 3 votes
    5y

    Hey there Paul and Matthias! I'm also a real estate investor here in Topeka. Just started this year. I'd concur with Matthias on Topeka having a good rental market and (nearly all of this year) a hot seller's market. Kansas City is indeed close-ish and is a hot cash-flow rental market. The same can be said of Manhattan, about the same distance from Topeka--just in the other direction. I do not believe that Topeka is growing very fast. I remember running into some demographic info months ago that showed the population is not necessarily growing very fast at all. That being said, many of the rentals around the downtown area seem to do well with not having many vacancies. At least for landlord managed properties.

    Despite having a flat/slowly growing population, Topeka has a strong array of government employment locations. It is the state's capitol, the county seat, contains a regional VA, and has much in the way of manufacturing/warehousing/distribution centers. Because I'm a firm believer in investing in one's backyard, I'm fortunate that this tertiary market touts the opportunities that it does.

  • Member since 2020 · 8 posts · 3 votes
    5y

    Hi all . I live and invest in Lawrence Kansas .i work in Topeka and started recently exploring Topeka’s rental market ,it is for sure better cashflow Wise in comparison to rest of Kansas ,I think not appreciating as much though .I am really excited about an investor  meetup in Topeka Kansas I think it is a great idea,

  • John RinggoldBusiness Member
    Real Estate Agent · Topeka Kansas · Member since 2020 · 79 posts · 47 votes
    5y

    I am a REALTOR in Topeka and am also currently looking for a few good investment properties as well. The the MLS just isn't full of opportunities as our housing inventory is super low, with only 186 homes on the market compared to 317 at the same time last year. I have decided to really scour the area and look for as many off market opportunities as possible. I have pulled an absentee-owner list and have started a marketing campaign to find those opportunities. ...to be honest, I just started the campaign yesterday, but do expect some anxious sellers to arise in the coming weeks and months as the campaign continues. I currently know of two options right now that I am running numbers on and if I decide not to act, I'd be happy to share them as well as other I come across in the future!

    Team Ringgold @ KW One Legacy Partners4.8154 Reviews
  • Rental Property Investor · Topeka, KS · Member since 2019 · 11 posts · 4 votes
    5y

    @John K. I am an investor in topeka. I would be happy to have a discussion and hopefully point you in the right direction. DM me and we'll set up a call.

  • New to Real Estate · Memphis, TN · Member since 2017 · 10 posts · 4 votes
    5y

    Hey ya'll,

    I live in Manhattan and am looking into real estate now. I will be taking my real estate license exam next week and would love to help get a meetup started. I know of a couple other guys here in the Manhattan/JC area that are willing to as well. I've heard of quite a bit of success with investor/realtor meetups through networking/sharing of information.

    Maybe we can set up a standing monthly meetup to talk real estate?

  • Laura HinesPro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Lawrence, KS · Member since 2018 · 28 posts · 42 votes
    5y

    I'd love to be included in a meet up as well. We live and invest in Lawrence, KS but have been looking seriously at investing in Topeka. 

  • Member since 2020 · 2 posts · 1 vote
    5y

    I am born and raised in Topeka but am but have been living in the Netherlands for the last 2.5 years. We will be moving back to Topeka in February 2021 and I will be launching my real estate investing business. I would love to be able to connect with other investors in the area. 

  • Rental Property Investor · Topeka, KS · Member since 2019 · 11 posts · 4 votes
    5y

    I'm an investor in topeka as well. Let's talk once you get back in the area.

  • Investor · Topeka, KS · Member since 2015 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    5y

    @Tom Hastert I'm not aware of any duplexes worth buying at this point.  

    @Ryan J Wenrich I’d love to get together with another local investor. If interested when are some good dates and times?

  • Rental Property Investor · Topeka, KS · Member since 2019 · 11 posts · 4 votes
    5y

    @Jacob Sampson I will be in Topeka next Monday morning, Thursday afternoon and Friday morning. PM if you'd like to meet up any of these days.

  • Kansas City, KS · Member since 2019 · 58 posts · 66 votes
    5y

    Hey all!  I know Topeka doesn't have a huge presence on BP but there are a few of us out here.  I have a handful of houses in Topeka and have a great PM there.  I've known him for almost 20 years.  He owns Property Evolves, name is Curtis.  He is a full-time PM in Topeka and does a great job for me!  Properties are getting slim, that is for sure.  

    As for population and trends...Topeka is fairly flat, but I've recently read about Topeka's new urbanization plan for the next 18 years and it is aiming to increase the population about 15,000 people.  Not a lot but for a city of 123,000-ish, that isn't so bad. 

    The great news about Topeka not having great property managers, and I've ran through a few...is that all you really have to do is have a decent property and you beat out about 90% of the market.  Most PM's there really don't seem to keep properties up.  Just giving a little to the property can help you demand premium rents. That's what I do with my houses...just give a little extra and we have a backlog of people wanting to rent.  

    Hope all is well and everyone is staying healthy and have a great New Years! 

  • Topeka, KS · Member since 2020 · 9 posts · 7 votes
    5y


    Hey to all. I own a property management company, I own rentals, do fix n flip, and occasionally wholesale. Would love to connect with you all! Love to Topeka and Real Estate! Let's connect!

  • Real Estate Agent · Topeka, KS · Member since 2019 · 21 posts · 13 votes
    5y

    It's funny that this 10 year old post is bringing Topeka investors together again! I'm also a Realtor under the same real estate company as John Ringgold and his great team! This year I've done a few deals I found on the MLS and I also purchased several wholesale deals I received from Manny Herron, the last poster. I've found a couple deals that are on the MLS now but they would be flips, not BRRRR properties. Topeka was recently named in the top ten hottest real estate markets in the US. I'm getting great cash flow on my rentals as well.

  • Topeka, KS · Member since 2020 · 9 posts · 7 votes
    5y

    @Eduardo Alfonso I own own one and we felt the same way which is why we started it.

  • Topeka, KS · Member since 2020 · 9 posts · 7 votes
    5y

    @Jacob Sampson I own own one and we felt the same way which is why we started it.

  • Topeka, KS · Member since 2020 · 9 posts · 7 votes
    5y

    @John K. I own own one and we felt the same way which is why we started it.

  • Real Estate Investor · Lawrence, KS · Member since 2016 · 55 posts · 35 votes
    5y

    We've owned a number of properties in Topeka and are currently at 9 doors. It's a good market for cash flow though not really appreciation. And I totally agree with the comment that if you have a good, clean, well-maintained property in a good area, you will have zero problems renting it and for a premium. However, from an out of city perspective, there are so many cheap neighborhoods that seem so attractive if you don't know them. But personally, I wouldn't buy a house in most parts of the city.

  • John RinggoldBusiness Member
    Real Estate Agent · Topeka Kansas · Member since 2020 · 79 posts · 47 votes
    5y

    @Dave Clauson You are right!  The perfect reason to have a local investor friendly Realtor assisting you if you are out of the area.

    Team Ringgold @ KW One Legacy Partners4.8154 Reviews
Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.