Accountant Recommendation for the Upstate - Greenville, SC

Accountant Recommendation for the Upstate - Greenville, SC

Rental Property Investor · Greenville, SC · Member since 2018 · 79 posts · 25 votes

Hi all!  I just got started on my real estate investing career this year!  I got a house and have been house-hacking with Air BnB, now is the time that I'm looking for doing the taxes with my W-2 and the Air BnB income, does anyone have any recommendations on an accountant in the upstate South Carolina area that is familiar with doing taxes for real estate investments (ideally specifically short term rental).  If so please let me know!

And just to hit some keywords for the areas around the upstate that I'm in:  Greenville, SC; Spartanburg, SC; Clemson, SC; Columbia, SC

1Reply
45 views

Most Popular Reply

Arn CenedellaPro Member
Rental Property Investor · Greenville, SC · Member since 2008 · 786 posts · 1k+ votes
5y

@Will Gaston

@jacob Allen

I second Will’s recommendation of Smith and Shin.

Brandon Smith has done my taxes ever since I moved to the Upstate 6 years ago.

He is a wonderful good and excellent CPA, highly recommended.

See this reply in the discussion

13 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Rental Property Investor · Anderson, SC · Member since 2020 · 38 posts · 12 votes
    5y

    What’s up Jacob, I am also starting up on my Real Estate investments. Got got 2 under my belt, currently renovating. I have gotten in contact with a CPA that specializes in Real estate. I can certainly send you details if you PM me. Blessings. 

  • Real Estate Agent · Clemson, SC · Member since 2015 · 56 posts · 35 votes
    5y

    Hey @Jacob Allen! There is a BP member who specializes in STRs around Lake Hartwell. I can't remember his name off the top of my head, but he is pretty active. You should be able to easily find him. I would probably reach out to him to see if he has any recommendations. 

  • Rental Property Investor · Greenville, SC · Member since 2018 · 79 posts · 25 votes
    5y

    Awesome, thanks @Cole Oraham I'll look into it!

  • Marc RiceBusiness Member
    Real Estate Agent · Columbus Cleveland Dayton, OH · Member since 2018 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    5y

    @Jacob Allen

    I currently manage short term rentals in Columbus, Ohio if you ever need anything!

    Marc Rice | Investor Friendly Agent at Reafco Tailwind Team574 Reviews
  • Will GastonPro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Columbia, SC · Member since 2010 · 1k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    5y

    @Jacob Allen Smith & Shin are in Taylors, SC. Ki Shin is who I use and he has a lot of investor experience. 

  • Arn CenedellaPro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Greenville, SC · Member since 2008 · 786 posts · 1k+ votes
    5y

    @Will Gaston

    @jacob Allen

    I second Will’s recommendation of Smith and Shin.

    Brandon Smith has done my taxes ever since I moved to the Upstate 6 years ago.

    He is a wonderful good and excellent CPA, highly recommended.

  • Rental Property Investor · Greenville, SC · Member since 2018 · 79 posts · 25 votes
    5y

    @Marc Rice thanks for the connection!

    @Will Gaston and @Arn Cenedella thanks for the recommendations, I appreciate it!

    @Bill Hampton thanks for reaching out I'll certainly consider it!

  • Marc RiceBusiness Member
    Real Estate Agent · Columbus Cleveland Dayton, OH · Member since 2018 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    5y

    @Jacob Allen

    Good luck on your journey!

    Marc Rice | Investor Friendly Agent at Reafco Tailwind Team574 Reviews
  • Basit SiddiqiBusiness Member
    Accountant · New York, NY · Member since 2015 · 8k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    5y

    I would reconsider reaching out/working with Bill.

    There is evidence that he plagiarizes. If he is plagiarizing, there is no thinking what he will do with your sensitive information.

    Below is a link of him plagiarizing. it is also seen in his response to your post...Run!!

    https://www.biggerpockets.com/...

  • Basit SiddiqiBusiness Member
    Accountant · New York, NY · Member since 2015 · 8k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    5y

    @Jacob Allen

    This is the message I normally write for professionals who house-hack and looking to connect with a tax professional. As you will notice that some of it was plagiarized by @Bill Hampton.

    He actually used to plagiarize the whole message.

    House hacking makes your tax situation more complex.
    You purchased a property that is treated as both an investment property and a personal residence. As such, payments that you make need to be prorated between business deductions and personal deductions.

    Payments that you make normally fall into one of 3 buckets
    100% of the payment can be factored in somewhere on the return
    Partial payment can be factored somewhere on the return
    0% of the payment can be factored in somewhere on the return

    House-hacking also has considerable tax implications in the event that you want to sell this property.

    You can potentially defer a portion or all of the gain on the investment property with 1031 exclusion.
    You can potentially exclude a portion or all of the gain on the personal residence with section 121 exclusion

  • New to Real Estate · Greenville, SC · Member since 2022 · 16 posts · 7 votes
    2y
    Quote from @Jacob Allen:

    Hi all!  I just got started on my real estate investing career this year!  I got a house and have been house-hacking with Air BnB, now is the time that I'm looking for doing the taxes with my W-2 and the Air BnB income, does anyone have any recommendations on an accountant in the upstate South Carolina area that is familiar with doing taxes for real estate investments (ideally specifically short term rental).  If so please let me know!

    And just to hit some keywords for the areas around the upstate that I'm in:  Greenville, SC; Spartanburg, SC; Clemson, SC; Columbia, SC

     Hi Jacob! 

    I came across this post from three years ago, as I'm now in the same boat you were then--Looking for a local accountant! Who did you end up using? Have you been happy with them?


    What's your investing experience been in the Upstate so far? My husband and I are utilizing the build-to-rent strategy. We're currently renting in Greenville while we build in the City of Spartanburg.

  • John UnderwoodPro Member
    Investor · Greer, SC · Member since 2014 · 13k+ posts · 17k+ votes
    2y

    @Jacob Allen

    Chuck Ford on East North Street.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.