First Deal for $5k!

First Deal for $5k!

Investor · Arlington, TX · Member since 2013 · 35 posts · 25 votes

Hello BP!

At the end of January, I closed on my first rental property for $5,000 total purchase price. The seller's husband had died recently and already moved into another house, so the property was a major headache and she just wanted to get out. She originally wanted $25,000, but after a few negotiation sessions, I was able to get her to accept $5,000 because I agreed to cover all of her closing costs and take care of the entire process, leaving her with $5,000 in her pocket and removing the burden from her life. I had read often about motivated sellers, but experiencing it firsthand was surreal. For first-time investors still looking for motivated sellers and high-equity deals, they're out there! Nevertheless, let's get to the numbers.

Purchase Price: $5,000

Rehab, Closing, Other Fees: $40,000

All in at $45,000 through a private lender

Total Out-of-Pocket: $1,714 for the Origination Fee and Insurance

$950 Monthly Rent with Tenant moving in within the next few days

Monthly Cashflow (after PITI, Vacancy, Maintenance, etc.): $450

All-In Amount after Paying off Private Lender and Refi's Closing Costs: $49,000

Cashout Refi Loan in 30 days through Private Bank: $56,000

Cashout from Refi back in my pocket: $7,000

ARV: $85,000

Equity Capture (after Cashout Refi): $29,000

Cash-on-Cash ROI: Infinite

For all the first-time investors out there, stay persistent and fight on because the deals will come! Tell as many people as you can that you're investing in real estate because that is simply how this deal fell in my lap. While I had to work minimally to acquire it, it truly just fell in my lap and I cannot be credited much for that portion. Keep going and they will come. Also, there are many details left out here but I just wanted to share the overall details to encourage you first-timers out there to see that it can definitely happen for you, if you want it to. Bring on Number 2!

12Reply
47 views

Most Popular Reply

Real Estate Agent · Peachtree City, GA · Member since 2013 · 34 posts · 12 votes
12y

Congratulations, Jason!! Thanks for sharing! You give a newbie like me hope : )

See this reply in the discussion

44 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Developer · Garland, TX · Member since 2008 · 8k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    12y

    Great job, Jason! Where is it located?

    Sometimes they do fall in your lap, but you have to be ready on multiple levels. You were ready.

  • Chris K.Pro Member
    Investor · Baltimore, MD · Member since 2012 · 1k+ posts · 655 votes
    12y

    Nice! How long did the whole process take from purchase to getting it rent ready?

  • Real Estate Agent · Winter haven, FL · Member since 2011 · 572 posts · 336 votes
    12y

    Congrats Jason! i think the biggest thing is this business is learning the definition of what a TRUE Motivated Seller is. not partial not the tire kickers that what retail. The bread and butter are those who have no emotional connection to the house(Key Factor), those who feel that the house is as good as lost and those who absolutely hate everything the house stands for.

    those are true leads!

    again congratulations

  • Brandon TurnerPro Member
    Investor · Maui, HI · Member since 2009 · 13k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    12y

    Congrats!!

  • Investor · Tampa Florida · Member since 2013 · 68 posts · 30 votes
    12y

    Wow. Great job.

    To be honest when I see these deals I consider my chances of that kind of return in my AO much like hitting the lottery. Your experience does provide one hope though...

  • Investor/Realtor · Hoover, AL · Member since 2010 · 1k+ posts · 459 votes
    12y

    @Jason Measures ...Great 1st Deal!!

  • Real Estate Investor · New York City, NY · Member since 2013 · 13 posts · 14 votes
    12y

    Wow. Great job Jason. Very inspiring to see everything works out on the first deal.

    Good luck with the next property man !

  • Developer · Garland, TX · Member since 2008 · 8k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    12y
    Originally posted by @Cory Adams:
    Wow. Great job.

    To be honest when I see these deals I consider my chances of that kind of return in my AO much like hitting the lottery. Your experience does provide one hope though...

    In for $45k. Rents for $950. This is solid, but not a lottery win. You can do it. Where is Liberty Hill?

  • Andrew SyriosPro Member
    Moderator
    Residential Real Estate Investor · Kansas City, MO · Member since 2014 · 10k+ posts · 5k+ votes
    12y

    Congratulations and best of luck!

  • Investor · Arlington, TX · Member since 2013 · 35 posts · 25 votes
    12y

    @Chris K. The whole process took around 2.5 months. My first contact with the seller was early January. She wanted three weeks to get her stuff out of the house so we closed on January 31. Rehab begin immediately after and was just completed, so just a little over 5 weeks (extensive rehab). Pre-leased house around mid-February and tenants are moving in this Saturday March 15.

    @Cory Adams You can totally do it! There is always hope! I'm not special by any means. Stay PERSISTENT my friend.

    Thanks to all for the congrats!

    While I am in no way an expert and very much a newbie, if any first-timers need any help or simply needs some encouragement to continue on and find deals, PM me and I'm happy to help in any way I can (although that may not be much).

  • Investor · Arlington, TX · Member since 2013 · 35 posts · 25 votes
    12y

    Totally messed up the mentions. Here's to a redo.

    @Chris K. The whole process took around 2.5 months. My first contact with the seller was early January. She wanted three weeks to get her stuff out of the house so we closed on January 31. Rehab begin immediately after and was just completed, so just a little over 5 weeks (extensive rehab). Pre-leased house around mid-February and tenants are moving in this Saturday March 15.

    @Cory Adams You can totally do it! There is always hope! I'm not special by any means. Stay PERSISTENT my friend.

  • Specialist · Rockland, MA · Member since 2010 · 7k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    12y

    @Jason Measures

    Congrats what learnings stand out in the process?

    Paul

  • Investor · Arlington, TX · Member since 2013 · 35 posts · 25 votes
    12y

    @Paul Timmins Something that has been invaluable to me is utilizing a rehab company instead of subcontracting the work myself. The company is a local DFW remodeling business named Finishing Touches. They provided me with a Project Manager and I had an online login to their portal, which I could access photos and a calendar of the progression of the work completed. While I paid a little more for this service, it saved me a ton of time and stress. At the end of the day, real estate investing is the vehicle I hope to obtain freedom from a job, not to have an additional job.

  • Lucas VaughnPro Member
    Real Estate Investor · Bedford, TX · Member since 2013 · 49 posts · 10 votes
    12y

    @Jason Measures Great job! How did you find the property and make contact with the seller initially?

  • Investor · Tampa Florida · Member since 2013 · 68 posts · 30 votes
    12y

    @Jon Klaus Liberty Hill is just north of Austin, TX.

    @Jason I will stay persistent.

  • Specialist · Rockland, MA · Member since 2010 · 7k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    12y

    @Jason Measures

    Time is money you got your money's worth.

    Now that you own reduce your expenses create more income and equity.

    Shoot me an email address I can email you a list of expense reductions.

    Paul

  • Investor · Arlington, TX · Member since 2013 · 35 posts · 25 votes
    12y

    @Lucas Vaughn How I found the property is the best part because I didn't have to work for it at all. Through basic networking and sharing my REI goals with most people I interact with, this deal fell in my lap because someone heard about the seller's situation and they thought I might be interested. Turned out I was VERY interested! I've found that, even though I am not an experienced REI veteran, it is still invaluable to market yourself and network like crazy if you really want dealflow to happen. The key is not pretending like you are more than you are, but be vulnerable and honest, but be persistent and work your tail off! Anyways, I called the seller, met her at the property, and once she began talking about her situation and the property, it became glaringly obvious that the property was a huge burden to her and her greatest desire, far above a fair sales price, was simply to get out and never have to deal with it anymore. This is where I based my negotiation and her most desirable outcome was to have me take care of all logistics so all she had to do was show up to closing and receive her $5,000 check.

  • Pat S.Pro Member
    Real Estate Broker · Asheville, NC · Member since 2013 · 82 posts · 29 votes
    12y

    Awesome success story! Congrats and thanks for sharing.
    Pat

  • Real Estate Agent · Peachtree City, GA · Member since 2013 · 34 posts · 12 votes
    12y

    Congratulations, Jason!! Thanks for sharing! You give a newbie like me hope : )

  • Real Estate Agent · Milwaukee County, WI · Member since 2009 · 3k+ posts · 525 votes
    12y

    congrats

  • Ft. Washington, MD · Member since 2011 · 28 posts · 3 votes
    12y

    Please keep posting about your success. I'm a beginner and this makes me feel that is possible

  • Rental Property Investor · Phoenix/Lima, Arizona/OH · Member since 2012 · 4k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    12y

    Nice!

  • Developer · Garland, TX · Member since 2008 · 8k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    12y
    Originally posted by @Andre Martin:
    Please keep posting about your success. I'm a beginner and this makes me feel that is possible

    Welcome aboard, Andre!

  • Investor · Austin, TX · Member since 2013 · 6 posts · 0 votes
    12y

    Congratulations Jason!

    About two years ago when I took the mortgage originator exam, the course/law mentioned Texas has a restriction for cash out re-fi cannot be within one year after purchase. I tried to do it myself but failed with multiple lenders.

    Can you provide a bit more detail as of how you actually get it done? Anything special you need to do for cashing out?

    Thanks in advance.

  • Jay HinrichsBusiness Member
    Real Estate Consultant · Summerlin, NV · Member since 2014 · 45k+ posts · 66k+ votes
    12y

    @Jason Measures

    @Jon Klaus

    Jason do you feel like you might have taken advantage of this seller. Since everyone on this site is high fiving you.. I guess everyone thinks its OK to take adavantage of a vulnerable seller... Where do you guys draw the line???

    Now I am playing devils advocate here I have bought my share of screaming deals but 5k for this quality of home seems a bit much..

    Just curious of the responses if any.. or if everyone on here thinks hey buy as low as possible no matter who you take advantage of.

    This is right up there with Guru ism in my mind :)

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.