First Deal for $5k!

First Deal for $5k!

Investor · Arlington, TX · Member since 2013 · 35 posts · 25 votes

Hello BP!

At the end of January, I closed on my first rental property for $5,000 total purchase price. The seller's husband had died recently and already moved into another house, so the property was a major headache and she just wanted to get out. She originally wanted $25,000, but after a few negotiation sessions, I was able to get her to accept $5,000 because I agreed to cover all of her closing costs and take care of the entire process, leaving her with $5,000 in her pocket and removing the burden from her life. I had read often about motivated sellers, but experiencing it firsthand was surreal. For first-time investors still looking for motivated sellers and high-equity deals, they're out there! Nevertheless, let's get to the numbers.

Purchase Price: $5,000

Rehab, Closing, Other Fees: $40,000

All in at $45,000 through a private lender

Total Out-of-Pocket: $1,714 for the Origination Fee and Insurance

$950 Monthly Rent with Tenant moving in within the next few days

Monthly Cashflow (after PITI, Vacancy, Maintenance, etc.): $450

All-In Amount after Paying off Private Lender and Refi's Closing Costs: $49,000

Cashout Refi Loan in 30 days through Private Bank: $56,000

Cashout from Refi back in my pocket: $7,000

ARV: $85,000

Equity Capture (after Cashout Refi): $29,000

Cash-on-Cash ROI: Infinite

For all the first-time investors out there, stay persistent and fight on because the deals will come! Tell as many people as you can that you're investing in real estate because that is simply how this deal fell in my lap. While I had to work minimally to acquire it, it truly just fell in my lap and I cannot be credited much for that portion. Keep going and they will come. Also, there are many details left out here but I just wanted to share the overall details to encourage you first-timers out there to see that it can definitely happen for you, if you want it to. Bring on Number 2!

12Reply
55 views

Most Popular Reply

Real Estate Agent · Peachtree City, GA · Member since 2013 · 34 posts · 12 votes
12y

Congratulations, Jason!! Thanks for sharing! You give a newbie like me hope : )

See this reply in the discussion

44 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Real Estate Agent · Orlando, FL · Member since 2013 · 270 posts · 40 votes
    12y

    @Jay Hinrichs "take advantage" i wouldn't go that far, she seemed to know what she wanted out of the property and she go it. No reason to pay more than that point blank imo.

  • Real Estate Broker · Canby, OR · Member since 2012 · 127 posts · 37 votes
    12y
    Sounds like a win win deal to me. Great job!
  • Investor · Cranberry Twp, PA · Member since 2012 · 3 posts · 0 votes
    12y

    Fantastic job Jason! As deal architects, If we can remember to sharpen our pencil before each deal, we'll continue to enjoy stories like yours often.

  • Full-Time Investor · Charlotte, NC · Member since 2009 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    12y

    Jay, to be fair, it does sound like there was a bit of rehab that he had to do...

  • Investor · Santa Barbara, CA · Member since 2013 · 658 posts · 315 votes
    12y

    I want to be paid 7k to take a cash flowing property with 29k in equity. Your hooked now, you'll have a hard time getting another high like that one though.

  • Real Estate Broker · Cypress, TX · Member since 2013 · 822 posts · 468 votes
    12y

    Congrats @Jason Measures . I'm curious how you structured the deal with your private lender - can you elaborate more on that? Also, was this in Arlington?

    @Jay Hinrichs this is why real estate is an inefficient market (something @Ben Leybovich points out often), because it only takes a meeting of the minds to make deals happen. In this case, the buyer and the seller got what they each needed in order for them to come to the closing table. I think it's all good :)

  • Ellicott City, MD · Member since 2013 · 46 posts · 5 votes
    12y

    Awesome job Jason! Congratulations and thank you for posting the specifics of the numbers and your steps during the process.

  • Dawn AnastasiPro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Milwaukee, WI · Member since 2013 · 6k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    12y
    Originally posted by @Jason Measures:
    This is where I based my negotiation and her most desirable outcome was to have me take care of all logistics so all she had to do was show up to closing and receive her $5,000 check.

    I think we all want to "just show up and receive a check". Some people want to receive their checks even without showing up.

  • Investor · Arlington, TX · Member since 2013 · 35 posts · 25 votes
    12y

    @Jay Hinrichs Thanks for asking that question Jay, as that's a really good point to mention. In no way would I ever try to take advantage of a seller in that way, but when we first met at the property and she began telling me her story, she became choked up and tears streamed down her face because she had no idea how she was ever going to get out from under the weight of that property. I'm sure it was sentimental for her, as she and her husband had lived there for 30+ years, but she was bleeding from the property and it was in such a distressed situation that she had no idea how to sell it. She had already moved into another home and was continuing to pay out-of-pocket on this property. She had tried to sell it but nobody could help her, so when I addressed the situation, I simply tried to find a solution that would help her out in the best way possible, while making it a profitable deal for me as well. The seller and I actually have a good relationship and she asked if she could see the property when it was completed rehabbed. When we went to see the newly renovated property, she was proud to see it taken care of so well and that it is now an excellent home for someone else. So, all in all, while it is an excellent opportunity for me, I do believe I was able to help her in this way, although I understand I am quite biased from this side of the deal.

    @Sharon Tzib This is a property in Arlington near the Cowboys Stadium and Ballpark in Arlington. My private lender is a friend of a friend, who is a RE investor as well, therefore he did most of the background work on his own, as any good lender would. I'm on a 6-month short term loan with a 3% origination fee, which I paid out-of-pocket at closing, with no payments due until the end of the 6-month loan, which I will then pay him the entirety of the loan plus interest. I considered doing a simple rate/term refi after the rehab was done, but with the ability to actually pull cash out of the deal on a cash out refi, making my cash-on-cash ROI an infinite amount, I decided to go this route.

  • Investor · Chicago, IL · Member since 2013 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    12y

    @Jason Measures , congrats on this awesome deal. The numbers look awesome and I would lend money on deals like these in a heartbeat.

    @Jay Hinrichs, the owner of the house can't rehab the house and she is lucky to get some money out of it. Jason has done her a service and not taken advantage of her. With regard to your question: where do you draw the line...the answer is - as long as the investor-buyer provides value to the seller (and the seller is happy about it), then you're doing it right.

  • Wholesaler · Crosby, TX · Member since 2014 · 52 posts · 5 votes
    12y

    @Jason Measures

    Great story definitely an inspiration for a newbie. I would like to connect with you. Good luck to you.

  • Investor · Norfolk, VA · Member since 2013 · 34 posts · 9 votes
    12y

    @Jason Measures as a new investor, your story is really motivating because it shows that it doesn't take a seasoned investor to be able to think creatively and obtain such a deal. One subject which i kinda know about but dont really understand all the details, cash-out refinance.

    You mentioned you have a 6 month loan with no payments till the end in which you will pay back in its entirety + interest. How long did you have to wait to cash out, what type of bank or institution did you use, and what % LTV were you able to get out of it.

    Amazing job and thanks again. Hope to have a couple of these stories to share in the future as well!

  • Fort Worth, TX · Member since 2014 · 6 posts · 1 vote
    12y

    Great job @Jason Measures has your networking been more through friends and acquaintances, or have you been to any REIC meetings?

  • Houston , TX · Member since 2014 · 6 posts · 4 votes
    12y
  • Real Estate Broker · Cypress, TX · Member since 2013 · 822 posts · 468 votes
    12y

    "I'm on a 6-month short term loan with a 3% origination fee, which I paid out-of-pocket at closing, with no payments due until the end of the 6-month loan, which I will then pay him the entirety of the loan plus interest."

    Hey @Jason Measures what's the interest rate? Thanks!

  • Investor · Arlington, TX · Member since 2013 · 35 posts · 25 votes
    12y

    @Grant Smith You're correct, I'm certainly not a seasoned investor! I'm really glad you were motivated by my story though. I continue to find motivation in other's stories along this awesome journey. Pertaining to the cashout refi, I'm utilizing a private bank here in DFW because they do not require a seasoning period on cashout refis, whereas traditional banks require a minimum 6-month seasoning period. Also, I'm getting 65% LTV on the cashout refi. If you're struggling to find someone to do a cashout refi quicker than 6 months, just call around to local banks and eventually you'll find one.

    @Joshua Y. I have a group of investors that have become close friends and we're constantly talking about REI. I've tried to share with everyone I know about my endeavors as well, simply because my first deal came strictly from networking. You don't have to approach networking as an expert, but you want as many people as possible to know what your goals and plans are so your deal flow potential will maximize.

  • Virtual Assistant · South Lake Tahoe, CA · Member since 2013 · 36 posts · 8 votes
    12y

    Excellent!!

    I agree with Jerilyn, hope for the newbie like me as well!

    Thank you for sharing!

  • Investor · Arlington, TX · Member since 2013 · 35 posts · 25 votes
    11y

    UPDATE: In actuality, I utilized a bank with a 6-month seasoning period and closed on the refi within 7 months of the original closing date. Also, instead of the 65% LTV on the cashout refi, I ended up actually getting 75% LTV which ended up putting cash back into my pocket as opposed to having to put any cash into the deal. Because of this, the end result is an infinite cash-on-cash rate of return. If any of you have any questions or need help doing this yourself, please let me know and I'm happy to help in any way I can.

  • Investor · Arlington, VA · Member since 2012 · 1k+ posts · 491 votes
    11y

    Excellent!  Keep it up!

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.