Change of Status - 6 month challenge

Change of Status - 6 month challenge

Bill S.Pro Member
Moderator
Rental Property Investor · Denver, CO · Member since 2013 · 4k+ posts · 2k+ votes

So in the vein of previous posts like The 90 day challenge and 1 year challenge I am faced with a 6 month challenge. The story goes as follows.

I have/had a w2 JOB. It's ok, I'm well paid and it provides for my family and is flexible to allow for time to deal with RE stuff too. Well Friday I got notified that they are changing my status from salary to hourly and I am to only work when I have billable work (I work in the consulting field). The last 6 months I haven't had much work and so it's not a total surprise but it still stings. I'm the last of a group that has slowly shrank to lonesome me via attrition over the past 2 years. We/I don't/didn't do the kind of work that is the core of the companies business so they won't miss us. Really it's just a gentle way of letting me go and in a way that they aren't on the hook for unemployment. This is not the first time it's happened to me. About 10 years ago I had the same thing happen. I was re-employed in 2.5 weeks so while it cost financially it was pretty much more of the same. This time there are more options. I'll use this post to chronicle the process as I'm sure there are others who will or who have faced the same dilemma.

Trying to keep the post shorter, I won't go into too many details. We have about 4-5 months of available reserves if I make no more money. We would then have to sell one of our properties with lots of equity that is just treading water which would allow us to carry on for another year or so, again assuming zero other income. I don't want to go backwards (spend cash) or sell property but will do what is needed.

I'm considering the following options.

1) Find another w2 job.

2) Offer consulting services in the same field as my w2 job. This requires a bit of self marketing. Things appear to be health job wise here in my field. I know a number of others who have been successful at this. I am all set up to do this from a legal standpoint. Logistically very straightforward.

3) Launch my services as an RE agent for sales. I am a licensed RE agent in my state. I have sold a number of properties over the years. I am set up for this from a legal standpoint as well.

4) Expand my services as a property manager. I currently manage properties for a number of people in addition to my own. I'm all set up for this legally as well.

5) Pursue fixing and flipping. I have done this with success a number of times. You do make your money when you buy and I bought well in all but one case, there I broke even.

6) Pursue wholesaling on a full time basis. I have begun a direct mail campaign and have had good response to my very low volume effort but have not done a deal yet.

7) Become a licensed contractor and do handyman work. I have been project manager on my fixups and my fix and flips so this is not a huge step but I have a long way to go setting up the legal aspect.

8) I could sell off a number of properties and pay off the debt on others and create enough cash flow to squeak by.

9) Some combination of all of the above.

Right now we are just in a holding pattern until we can get some feedback and council from others and see what perspective they offer. I hope to have direction by the end of the week. I am ramping up my direct mail campaign. I have a unique source of leads that seems very good and I am trying to figure out how to expand my list on a daily basis.

Tasks this week:

1) Meet with advisors.

2) Get an assistant to help expand my list for direct mail.

3) Make a decision about direction.

4) Keep perspective and balance by being there emotionally with my wife and family. I know I can do whatever I want but my tendency in the past is to put my head down and GO. Leaves those around me in the dust. This is a journey we are in together so need to keep perspective. I'm really scared too.

To chronicle this journey, I'm going to post at least once a week here with an update. Perhaps more if it seems necessary.

Hopefully we'll see a success story unfold.

3Reply
82 views

Most Popular Reply

Investor · Peachtree Corners, GA · Member since 2014 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
12y

@Bill S.

Doesn't this provide you a great amount of freedom to become your own boss 24/7? To me the combination of consulting, flipping, RE sales and landlording seems almost unbeatable. Good luck with whatever you decide to do.

See this reply in the discussion

41 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Real Estate Investor · Sebastian, FL · Member since 2014 · 812 posts · 432 votes
    12y

    @Bill S. I think building your own list is great, but financially wouldn't it make sense to also buy a list segment that you are not getting on your own? They might cost more, but since that is profitable for everyone else, you should be able to buy food on that. Then when your list is big enough and functionally doing what you need, you can switch to just that. Though hopefully by then you will be too busy. ;)

  • Bill S.Pro Member
    Moderator
    OP
    Rental Property Investor · Denver, CO · Member since 2013 · 4k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    12y

    It's been a while since my last update. The week after I last posted I got a call from one of my letters. The seller had over 120 homes to sell. They are over 70 and looking to get out so their kids don't have to deal with the properties. We talked a number of times and he was and equity lender and also bought two bulk sales of about 40 props each. He sent me a list of props and I did some investigation. They all had been rented 10 plus years and his comment was that tenants did most of the maintenance except they maybe changed a faucet here or there. My translation, they are trashed or at best dated with deferred maintenance like exterior paint. When I got back with him he share some of the "offers" he had from folks he that have contacted him. These would be wholesalers and rehabbers like myself since they were doing direct mail like myself. The "offers" were at or near what similar properties were selling for off the MLS. I'm sure he could have been inflating those prices to me but I tend to believe him and don't consider myself overly gullible. Basically people are writing full price offers just to get the inventory.

    This really took the wind out of my sails. On top of that I have 5 properties that I need to rent this month. One unit the tenant failed to pay May rent and had the utilities shut off. I had to get him out, deal with the cleanup and repairs. I got one unit rented right off. I had a couple that looked at the other two and wanted one. I rejected them for multiple reasons and then my Craig's List ads got flagged down. I have a couple for one of them but haven't yet completed the screening process so they may fall away. One house is being vacated by a couple since they are buying a place. I haven't even started marketing that one. I've been gone every night showing and my family is showing the effects. I haven't hired an assistant yet and am behind on my mailings.

    I need to set some priorities this week and get caught up. Getting help is the top of the list. As are getting the vacancies filled. Need to finish screening and follow up on some folks that showed interest in the one unit that the ad got flagged down.

  • Real Estate Investor · Westminster, CA · Member since 2014 · 42 posts · 16 votes
    12y

    Seems like getting those properties turned over and rented would be priority number one. I wouldnt like the sound of a sucking chest wound depleting my reserves while I was taking a pay cut in my w2 job. I would want to hire a PM to run those rentals so i could focus on the wholesale side. Work "on" your business and hire folks to work "in" your business is something I heard somewhere that stuck with me. Good Luck!!!

  • Bill S.Pro Member
    Moderator
    OP
    Rental Property Investor · Denver, CO · Member since 2013 · 4k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    12y

    @Chuck Holland , thanks for the suggestion. Probably the biggest issue with the rentals is that I tried to push the price and I'm a bit over priced. The rental market is very hot but I've found out that it does have a limit.

    I am really resistant to hire a pm. The time it would take to find a good one I could have the work done (I know, take the time to sharpen the ax). The cost is something I can "pay myself" for and help out with the lack of income on the home front. The challenge I am faced with is the sure money from doing my own PM vs the "maybe" money from the wholesale side. I haven't been very encouraged by folks in my market (Denver) about wholesaling.

    Where I want to hire is the wholesale business. I need to get the daily grind off loaded so I can build that business. I know I can hire many of those tasks for much less than the PM gig would cost me for the same time. Once I get that done, I can move to the next step for my wholesale business.

  • Jean BolgerPro Member
    Aurora, CO · Member since 2012 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    12y

    Hey Bill!

    Sorry things aren't going smoother- but it will look up soon I'm sure! I'm not sure how the craigslist flagging thing works, but I know that if you do a lot of cut and paste you're more likely to get flagged, so you may have to re-word the ad each time. If they've somehow gotten allergic to your account or your IP address and don't want you to post for awhile I would be willing to post some ads for you from my craigslist account - you could just send me some copy pics, and contact info. Be sure to try Postlets as well, it seems to be working better for a lot of folks, although I'm not sure if that's the case here in Denver.

    I'm no wholesaler, so take this with a grain of salt, but I'm on one guy's list who routinely sends out Denver deals at 80-85% these days.

  • Bill S.Pro Member
    Moderator
    OP
    Rental Property Investor · Denver, CO · Member since 2013 · 4k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    12y

    @Jean Bolger I know the ins and outs of CL as I post there often and know the rules, tricks etc. I am 98% sure it was the rejected applicants handiwork. The positive thing is that dealing with them now at arms length is much easier than had I rented the place to them. Dodged a bullet there.

    I do need to broaden my advertising base so adding Postlets is definitely something I will do.

    Thanks for the info on the wholesaler percentages. That is so much more reasonable than what we read here on BP at 65%-70%.

  • Jerry W.Pro Member
    Moderator
    Investor · Thermopolis, WY · Member since 2012 · 4k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    12y

    @Bill S.  I am curious how things are going for you.  I have every confidence it is well but would like to hear it.  You are probably too busy to post, but wanted to let you know I am rooting for you.  it is kind of funny how folks you have never met in person become a part of your community, like your neighbor or a business associate.  Anyway best wishes on your journey and please send a postcard when you can.  Again if I can be of any help please let me know.

  • Bill S.Pro Member
    Moderator
    OP
    Rental Property Investor · Denver, CO · Member since 2013 · 4k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    12y

    @Jerry W.  I just closed a wholesale deal today. It put $8K in my pocket and a smile on my face. Thanks so much for thinking of me. I'll post some details later but didn't post back sooner as I was afraid of jinxing the deal. Awesome day. Lots more fun than engineering. Too bad I can't do two of these a month. Thanks again.

  • Real Estate Investor · Sebastian, FL · Member since 2014 · 812 posts · 432 votes
    12y
    Originally posted by @Bill S.:

    @Jerry W.  I just closed a wholesale deal today. It put $8K in my pocket and a smile on my face. Thanks so much for thinking of me. I'll post some details later but didn't post back sooner as I was afraid of jinxing the deal. Awesome day. Lots more fun than engineering. Too bad I can't do two of these a month. Thanks again.

     Congratulations! 

  • Ardmore, PA · Member since 2012 · 21 posts · 2 votes
    12y

    @Bill S. 

     Congrats!  Can't wait to hear your story...

  • Bill S.Pro Member
    Moderator
    OP
    Rental Property Investor · Denver, CO · Member since 2013 · 4k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    12y

    Update - a little more on the situation. I have been doing direct mail marketing to locate motivated buyers. I've been kind of working off the following numbers. 1% response rate (every 100 mailers I get one call ) and close about 1 deal from 60 calls.

    I built my list based on Michael's  Podcast 81 on direct mail marketing. Great shout out to him for the great advise. I follow his script when answering calls as well.

    Thanks to @Joshua D. for this site. There is no way I could have done this without the great advise from the site.

    I bought a list from online and paid my daughter to print the envelopes (our printer must be fed one at a time), stuff and stamp them. She got about 400 out after working all day. My list is about 1,000. We sent those out (still need to finish the list). I got 5 calls. 2 were remove me from you list. 1 was make my dreams of winning the lottery come true. At this point I read the sticky in the real estate marketing section of the forum and realized I wasn't alone). 1 was redevelop my property to make my neighbors mad. 1 was buy my property so I arranged to meet with them. I was scared to death I was over paying but I was to the point if something even looks close I'm going to get the best deal I can and see what happens. I got it under contract. I had no buyers list so I put it on Craig's List offering to pay a commission to any agent (thanks to Wendell for his coopitition concept in Podcast 65), that brought a cash buyer. I got about half a dozen calls and one agent passed it to another wholesaler who had a buyer. I assigned the contract a few days later and we closed yesterday. Considering how the numbers work for direct mail this is nothing short of a miracle (thank you God). Could not have come at a better time as our reserves were about out.

    I also have another one under contact (from another direct mail campaign-that I built with a VA as suggested here on BP) that I have assigned to fix and flipper (also found via Craig's List). It is a thinner deal but appears that it will close.

    @Anson Young was a great encouragement on this deal by jumping in and helping market it even though ultimately it didn't work for him.

    Slowly building my buyer's list. Hope to one day cut out the other wholesalers and get a larger piece of the pie for me.

    Just have to ramp up the direct mail machine to keep the deals flowing.

    Our market is hot (low supply and high demand) here so on one hand it makes it hard to find deals on the other hand it makes it easier to sell when you do find the deal.

    The saying goes, you find the deal and the money will be there appears to hold true.

    This has been the most grueling road trip of self evaluation and redirecting my own thinking and self talk. I realized when I last posted in May I was only talking about all the obstacles rather than the opportunities and that was bringing me down. I didn't have the resources to document the obstacles because if I spent the time writing them down, I became overwhelmed and quit doing even the little things. I focused on doing one thing that moved my business forward each day, even if it wasn't the best use of my time. Often it was only get a few more direct mail envelopes stuffed and stamped (I know I shouldn't be doing that but some days anything is better than nothing). I do know this if no mail goes out, no deals come in.

    There are many here on Bigger Pockets that have provided encouragement and helped move me forward over the past months (wish I could mention them all here). It has not been easy but I'm quite certain that without BP I would have quit and if I hadn't quit, I would still not have a deal. Thank you all once again. Looking forward to continuing in success and sharing with the great BP community.

  • Bill S.Pro Member
    Moderator
    OP
    Rental Property Investor · Denver, CO · Member since 2013 · 4k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    12y

    Update on post (where did the edit button go), should be "motivated SELLERS" in line 2. Type first and proof read last.

  • Flipper/Rehabber · Rochester, NY · Member since 2014 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    12y

    @Bill S. Wow!  This is a great post!  Thanks!  Sometimes being comfortable inoculates us from the need to succeed.

    I have a day job that pays pretty well and am not ready to make the jump.  (And I'd need to have my wife on board with it, too.)  But I wonder if I were just forced to really dive in over my head if I'd end up doing a lot better.

    But you are not taking a foolhardy risk.  You've got lots of financial resources, lots of skills, and lots of options.  It's really just a matter of the shortest path to success.

    Keep the updates coming!   

  • Rental Property Investor · Louisville, KY · Member since 2008 · 342 posts · 123 votes
    11y

    Great to hear it is working out Bill. Thanks for the detailed updates. At some point I am planning on starting a mail marketing campaign to find houses to rehab and sell and this will help me get it worked out.

  • Roy N.Pro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Fredericton, New Brunswick · Member since 2013 · 7k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    11y

    @Bill S. 

    I see this as an opportunity! The leash is being let go, you can now make your own rules ... provided you keep the family fat-n-happy.

    I've been consulting and building custom software & communications networks for a couple of decades.  The money is good, but the travel was often intense - there were years I was on the road 50-60% of the time.

    When I became a parent, I didn't want to travel to the same degree; enter real estate.   Now I can be selective about which contracts I take and how much I travel.  I have even found a project that brings real estate and my software architecture/security background together.

    I had little doubt and still ... just a sec, lemme confirm .... yes, still little doubt that you will find your groove and get to sit in the big chair in your wheelhouse {that is, if your wife doesn't want to sit down}.

  • Rental Property Investor · Louisville, KY · Member since 2008 · 342 posts · 123 votes
    10y

    Hello, been rereading this post again as I am planning on starting marketing hopefully in 2016. How has it been going for you @Bill S. ? Other than the podcasts mentioned here do you suggest any other sites or material to help one get started in marketing and wholesaling?

    I want to focus on rehabs primarily but I think that wholesaling will go hand in hand since I may come across a deal I can't buy myself.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.