Bought 10,000+ Homes for a Fund. What Questions Can I Answer?

Bought 10,000+ Homes for a Fund. What Questions Can I Answer?

Member since 2025 · 5 posts · 2 votes

Hey BP community đź‘‹

I spent the last several years running acquisitions for a single family rental fund that purchased and owned 10,000+ homes across 20+ U.S. markets, representing more than 2 billion dollars in real estate. I still actively invest and underwrite deals daily for them.

I recently moved as a side hustle into investor-focused lending (DSCR, bridge, fix and flip, rental portfolios, new construction, etc.). The biggest thing I notice is that many investors have vision but do not always have clear frameworks for:

âś… Evaluating risk and return
âś… Market and submarket selection-so important
âś… Underwriting cash flow and cap rates
âś… Debt strategy and refinance timing
âś… Building deal flow systems
âś… Scaling beyond a few properties

I am here to add value, not sell. If you want to talk underwriting, deal structuring, or scaling, drop questions in the thread or DM. Happy to share lessons learned along the way, good and painful (there has been plenty there too).

Looking forward to connecting.

Thanks,
Jordan

0Reply
93 views

2 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Rental Property Investor · Malvern, PA · Member since 2016 · 1k+ posts · 936 votes
    11mo

    Can you share what you learned works well and what to avoid in buying 10,000+ homes?

    What models do you use to evaluate risk, cash flow, etc? How do you use the models?

    There's a lot here you can explain. Each is probably its own post or more. 8-)

  • Member since 2025 · 5 posts · 2 votes
    11mo

    Great questions. At scale you learn quickly what creates durable returns and what quietly erodes them. A few lessons from buying more than 10,000 homes:

    What works well
    • Focus on submarkets, not just metros. School zones, build era consistency, utility infrastructure, and neighborhood turnover matter more than the city headline.
    • Stay honest on renovation scope. Light value-add with predictable turns beats “hero rehabs” over long hold cycles.
    • Renovation speed and cost control consistently outperform squeezing every last dollar.
    • Strong deal funnels. Brokers, builders, wholesalers, direct mail, agent networks, MLS automation, and off-market data tools layered together.
    • Debt discipline. Fixed or capped floating exposure, staggered maturities, and enough liquidity to sleep well.

    What to avoid
    • Chasing a high cap rate in weak submarkets. A high cap rate can hide crime, school decline, or demographic flight.
    • Underestimating operational friction. Scattered renovations or a weak vendor bench kill returns.
    • Over-projecting rent growth. Conservative assumptions usually win.
    • Buying just to hit volume targets. Scale only works if each asset meets the same bar.

    Model approach
    I built my own underwriting model, but many solid templates exist online now.

    Key focus areas
    • Purchase basis (true landed cost) vs comp set
    • Rehab scope and sensitivity
    • Rent comps and lease-up timing
    • OpEx realism (maintenance, turns, taxes, insurance, management)
    • Debt structure and stress tests
    • DSCR and breakeven occupancy
    • IRR, equity multiple, unlevered and levered yield
    • Market concentration vs diversification
    • Hold period assumptions
    • Refinancing and interest-rate exposure
    • Lease absorption
    • Downside stress tests (rent drops, tax increases, insurance shocks, rates, vacancy)

    How I use it
    • Every deal goes through base, downside, and worst-case underwriting.
    • Comps and cost assumptions get cross-checked across multiple sources.
    • I separate the “investor story” from “spreadsheet reality.” The model has to prove the thesis, not justify optimism.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.