20 unit apartment building with no money down!

20 unit apartment building with no money down!

Charleston, SC · Member since 2014 · 11 posts · 40 votes

I've been in real estate management and investing for 9 years and I have a recent acquisition that I hope will motivate others.  I've been sitting on the sidelines too long, it's time to contribute!

I sent out 600 letters to local owners of multifamily properties and had quite a few calls from the letters.  Sent them 3 times before I reached the right owner on the right day, where he was just mad enough about landlording to want to sell his property.

20 Unit apartment complex

Purchase Price: $285,000 (approx 15k unit)

30 year amortized loan 5% with a 5 year call (100% owner financing, but he did take a 2nd mortgage on another house I own)

Tax Return NOI average: $32,000 over the last 4 years

Expected NOI after proper management: $50,000

Equity after stabilized: $100,000-$150,000

As purchased the property cash flows around 1k a month with no money down!  After the property is stabilized it will net around $2500 a month.

Bonus:  There is a back lot that came with the apartment complex and is of no use to the operation of the complex.  I have it under contract for $72,500 cash.  Pending zoning approval this lot will be sold and I will be able to put some cash into my pocket.

Thanks for reading my deal!  I hope this motivates some people that these deals do exist.  I can't wait to read some of the comments.

Rob

20Reply
117 views

Most Popular Reply

Weston, FL · Member since 2014 · 55 posts · 8 votes
12y

Congratulations!  Great find!  Direct mail is such a great tool that is not really leveraged by many people.  I was a real estate agent in another state some time ago and one of my key lead generation techniques was direct mail.  It really worked well for me.  Not only due to the call backs I received, but also because when I cold called the area most people knew who I was since they had received my mailers a few times.  Way to go!  I'm hoping to get back into real estate over the next several months and will definitely have direct mail in my strategy.  Wishing you continued success!

See this reply in the discussion

43 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Hallandale Beach, FL · Member since 2014 · 82 posts · 12 votes
    12y

    Amazing!!!  Your deal is very inspirational!!!  Hopefully I will soon be able to share a success story like yours.

    Lisa (stuck in analysis paralysis)

  • Rental Property Investor · Olympia, WA · Member since 2010 · 127 posts · 76 votes
    12y

    Hey Rob, congratulations! I'm inspired by your story and I'm glad to hear that direct marketing and perseverance pays off. I'm getting ready to start doing exactly what you did: market directly to landlords of multi-unit properties in hopes of finding the tired landlord you did that is willing to be generous in terms or price because of their situation. Looks like you landed a great deal, $1,000/mo with no money down is what everyone dreams about!

  • Investor · Oklahoma City, OK · Member since 2014 · 96 posts · 13 votes
    12y

    Congrats Rob that's an awesome deal!  It inspires me to go out and just make it happen.  Hope to continue seeing success stories from you in the forums.  Cheers!

  • Charleston, SC · Member since 2014 · 11 posts · 40 votes
    12y
    Originally posted by @Paul S.:

    @Rob Wilson congrats on your deal. Would you mind telling us how you implemented list source to generate this lead? Like what package did you buy how many names did you get, how many letters did you sell, how many calls you got, etc? 

    What was your total investment in the list source info?

    Thanks

     Paul,

    Listsource provides great lists.  You want to make sure that you have a target market that you feel comfortable with before you start working on your list.  I further narrowed down to my submarket which involved mostly lower income units.  I used the filter in listsource to show me only buildings that had between 4-200 units that had complete addresses.  I ended up with around 650 names.  

    Listsource can provide the list in an excel spreadsheet.  I then used the spreadsheet to track the calls and to keep track of the owners who called.

    I got around 30 calls.  I did get around 60 RTS (return to sender) for wrong addresses, etc..  I'm not sure if there is a way to prohibit that.  I've just removed them from my list and will only send to the good addresses on my next mailer.

    I just called back an owner earlier this week, who called me from this mailer.  He owns 70 units, mostly small multifamily and duplexes.  He is interested in selling.  Before I went and met with him I looked through the local mortgage records and found his name!  He has owner financed some of his property recently, so I assumed he would owner finance what he has.  Our meeting went very well, go figure, he IS open to owner financing.  We'll see if the numbers work, but so far, it's a great start.

    Another tip:  Some areas show the note when mortgages are made.  If you are going to make a deal with someone who you feel might of owner financed in the past.  You can search your local records and find a mortgage AND note that they've used in the past.  You can get a feel for what kind of terms they've agreed to and use that to make your offer.  My area unfortunately doesn't provide the note.

    Another thought:  Through listsource you can create a list of owners who've owner financed.  Many ways you could farm that list!

    Have a good one,


    Rob

  • Real Estate Broker · Naples, FL · Member since 2013 · 9k+ posts · 6k+ votes
    12y

    Excellent!  Glad to see people posting stories like this as an inspiration.

  • Investor · Wichita Falls, TX · Member since 2010 · 3k+ posts · 603 votes
    12y

    Very awesome success story! I've got some questions!

    How much do you expect to put into the place to get it to your projected stabilized numbers?

    What are the terms for the 2nd mortgage he took on the other house you own? 

  • Charleston, SC · Member since 2014 · 11 posts · 40 votes
    12y
    Originally posted by @Mehran K.:

    Very awesome success story! I've got some questions!

    How much do you expect to put into the place to get it to your projected stabilized numbers?

    What are the terms for the 2nd mortgage he took on the other house you own? 

    I'm going to be making some upgrades to the complex which will cost me around 10-15k depending on how much I do.  I'm going to get the laundry facility up and operational and I'm going to do a facelift to the complex in hopes to attract a better tenant class.  Most of the changes will be management changes, which will cost me more time than money.

    The second mortgage is just a security instrument.  It'll be released in 2 years after I've made all of my payments on time.

    Thanks for the interest,


    Rob

  • Real Estate Investor · Knoxville, TN · Member since 2008 · 98 posts · 13 votes
    11y

    Great deal @Rob Wilson and very motivational! Thanks for sharing. I'm surprised you only need to put in 10-15k in improvements, sounds like a home run.

  • Rental Property Investor · Washington, DC · Member since 2014 · 94 posts · 12 votes
    11y

    @Rob Wilson Hey Rob this is truly a great story. Your post was perfectly timed because I ma about to start marketing in the same manner in my local market (DC/No.VA/So.MD). I am wondering, did list source provide phone numbers, and did you ever try calling the owners, or is mail the way to go? Did you send the letters in a standard envelope, or one of the invitation sized ones like Michael Quarles suggests? And since I am a bit of a newb, did you use a questionnaire or a list of prioritzed questions (which may just be 2nd nature to you at this point) that you could share when talking to the sellers to determine if you had a great deal? Thanks again for posting this is very exciting!

  • Charleston, SC · Member since 2014 · 11 posts · 40 votes
    11y
    Originally posted by @Brandt Tingen:

    @Rob Wilson Hey Rob this is truly a great story. Your post was perfectly timed because I ma about to start marketing in the same manner in my local market (DC/No.VA/So.MD). I am wondering, did list source provide phone numbers, and did you ever try calling the owners, or is mail the way to go? Did you send the letters in a standard envelope, or one of the invitation sized ones like Michael Quarles suggests? And since I am a bit of a newb, did you use a questionnaire or a list of prioritzed questions (which may just be 2nd nature to you at this point) that you could share when talking to the sellers to determine if you had a great deal? Thanks again for posting this is very exciting!

     Brandt,

    It's great to hear this post is helping you!  I love it!

    List source doesn't provide phone numbers, unfortunately.  I've heard of some people buying lists from listsource and then getting a virtual assistant to search places like whitepages online for phone numbers.  I wouldn't mind doing that, but I think it would be very time consuming, not only to farm the numbers, but to call them.  

    I sent the letters with a regular business envelope and they were handwritten.  I've since moved over the invitation style with the yellow letter for some of my other mailings and I find it to be more effective and a lot easier to manage.  I've used Jerry Puckett to send some of my newer mailers and it's been trouble free.  The letters look great too.

    I did not create a questionnaire because I'm comfortable talking with these type of investors.  I have created a list of questions in the past for other property types (ie subject-to) that I was unfamiliar with.  I think it's a great idea.

    Before I sent my mailer I knew what I wanted to pay per door for a complex and I just made sure to do my calculations while I was on a phone call with someone.  If I found them to be way outside of my range, I cut the small talk and moved on!  If it was close, I spent more time trying to figure out their motivation.

    Good luck!  Good deals are out there!

    Rob

  • Property Manager · Raleigh, NC · Member since 2015 · 21 posts · 5 votes
    11y

    @Rob Wilson congrats!! and continued success. 

  • Investor · Hogansville, GA · Member since 2015 · 4 posts · 0 votes
    11y

    Congrats!  That sounds like it went really well Rob.  I guess that hard work paid off.  I hope for the same results soon.  Matthew

  • Rental Property Investor · Cape Coral, FL · Member since 2012 · 427 posts · 186 votes
    11y

    Congrats!

  • Investor · Wailuku, HI · Member since 2015 · 18 posts · 6 votes
    11y

    Congragulations!  That is an awesome deal.  Thank you for all the information!

  • Montreal, Quebec · Member since 2014 · 42 posts · 20 votes
    11y

    wow! wow! and WOW!

    Love those stories!

    Congratulations and keep up the great work,@Rob Wilson...

    INSPIRATION!!!

  • Forum Troll · Mesa, AZ · Member since 2015 · 17 posts · 6 votes
    11y

    Thanks for sharing ! 

  • Residential Real Estate Agent · Broomfield, CO · Member since 2013 · 390 posts · 125 votes
    9y

    @Rob Wilson

    Hi Rob,

    Sorry to dredge up an old thread, not even sure you're still active here, but I'm starting to mail multifamily properties in my area.  For you or anyone else who has experience, how often and how many times did you mail?  I'm starting with mailers to 2-10 unit properties that haven't sold since 2000.  Any other criteria I should use to filter out?  

    I'm excluding any properties where it's hard to find a good address and contact due to complicated LLLP/LLC type business structures. I figure if someone went to the trouble of setting it up, getting a paid registered agent, etc, they may be less open to selling off market.

    Thanks!

  • Rental Property Investor · Bedminster, NJ · Member since 2014 · 217 posts · 60 votes
    7y

    Congratulations Rob! Did you use any phone answering service at all or you just pick up the phone yourself?

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.