building a fourplex as my first deal. trial by fire.

building a fourplex as my first deal. trial by fire.

Contractor · victoria, bc · Member since 2014 · 74 posts · 21 votes

Well, as the title says I am going to try an build a fourplex. And its my first deal. This will be my diary. Come hell or high water, you will have a front row seat.

Before we get into the deal, understand that I am going to consider this a diary so I will put almost all of my thoughts on what I am doing and it might get a little.. verbose. then again, maybe it won't! really, I have no idea since I have never done anything like this before,

 Okay, so before everyone freaks out, I work in construction and have run crews before, I can read prints, and do layout but my experience lies in condo construction and I frame with steel as opposed to wood. I have done wood frame before and though I cant claim to be any good at it, I know enough that I know what I don't know, if that makes sense...

okay the property.

I live on Vancouver Island, in the city of Victoria, but am buying in Nanaimo, which is an hour and a half from where I live.

The property is zoned for a 4plex and currently has a little one bed one bath on it, the listed price was 199,000 with a city assessment of 151,100 (land value 134,000 and the house 17,100) . the lot is 9372 sq/ft and the house is 576sq/ft. super small.

I didn't think the property was worth anything close to what was being asked, but I called the agent anyway, and asked about the property. the agent said that the owner owed 180,000 and wasn't going to go any lower, but as the property had sat vacant for four months he wanted it gone. I know the property is not worth that now, but I think it might be in a year or two because of what is happening next year.

the downtown core in Nanaimo is starting to develop. they have broken ground on a new hotel tower and next spring a new walk on ferry service is starting that will travel between down Nanaimo and downtown Vancouver.

Vancouver is one of, if not the, most expensive place to live in Canada. the prices for a 3 bed 2 bath in Vancouver can easily reach a million dollars.  there is currently a 3/2 listed for 2.9 mil. the average price for the same in Nanaimo is in the 250-300 range. the closest price point on the main land is a two hour drive in heavy traffic. the ferry will be an hour and it goes straight downtown.

I have 50,000 that was borrowed from people who believe in me and I not really willing to risk a large chunk of that to buy a currently overpriced property that the owner refuses to move on, but that isn't to say he wasn't motivated. it had sat vacant for four months, and the same before the last tenant was there. this guy did want it gone,

so I offered a lease with option to purchase. i offered the 180,00 that he owed with 10,000 down on a two year term, with a one year extension for 5000. both would be taken off the purchase price, bringing the price down to 165,000 in three years. I will also be covering all the costs for the property during the term, so the owner can basically wash his hands of it unless something catastrophic happens.  along with the lease, the seller is giving me an appointment of agent for the property so that I can start talking with the city.

During the coming year, I am going to go through the steps and get everything ready in order for me to build.

one of the first things I plan on doing is approaching a private lender to ask where I would need to be or order for them to feel comfortable loaning the construction costs, so that I have a realistic goal I can work toward during the net year. I am also considering taking a GC course in the spring at the local uni. I would love to build this myself, I know that I could and I really think if this goes well I would like to repeat the process.

 I have a few people in my life that I can ask for help or advise. the owner of the company I work for does development and I have made more then a few contacts through my work.

the research I have done has told me that I can expect the cost per foot to range between 95-130. I would like to narrow it down some, but I will get a more true number in time.

so that is where I currently stand. I can honestly say I have never been so excited. I am trying to keep in mind that things can still go south though. the ferry service could fail, and the development plan could fall by the wayside, but that is one of the reasons that I did a lease, if this deal goes in the pooper, I can walk away, slightly poorer in pocket but vastly richer in experience.

I will most likely post a lot of questions as thing start to progress for me, if not here, then in the forums. so stay tuned. im excited.

Joshua

4Reply
241 views

Most Popular Reply

Developer · Garland, TX · Member since 2008 · 8k+ posts · 4k+ votes
11y

I like the the fundamental idea that the ferry is going to create unprecedented demand in Nanaimo.  However, I'd want the deal to work even if demand remains the same.  And I'd want outsized margin on the deal since there is a lot of risk, and you are risking other people's money. 

What is your plan for the quad when finished?  Rent it out, sell the units as condos, sell the whole thing, move into a unit?

How long will pre development take?  Construction?

What are the hurdles and timeframe in getting required permits?

How much will construction cost?

What will it be worth upon completion (today's market)?

Do you know of anyone doing (or have done) similar projects in the area?  Have you talked with them about your plans?

Thanks for sharing your journey with us. This is an interesting project in a beautiful area. 

See this reply in the discussion

54 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Roy N.Pro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Fredericton, New Brunswick · Member since 2013 · 7k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    11y

     Dave:

    The drawings are labelled in feet (') and inches ("), not metres (m) and centimetres (cm).

  • Contractor · victoria, bc · Member since 2014 · 74 posts · 21 votes
    11y

    @Account Closed you are right. I haven't been posting as much as I maybe should have. nothing much has happened though, I am confident that the future will be more eventful.

    and as Roy was nice enough to mention, these drawings are in feet and inches.

  • Contractor · victoria, bc · Member since 2014 · 74 posts · 21 votes
    3y

    I'm back.

    Obviously, it has been quite awhile since I've posted.  the long and short of it is that I bit off more than I could chew. It did not take me long to realize I was in no financial shape to do what I wanted to do.

     I owed a lot of money in back taxes and credit cards and I had no money aside from the money my parents lent me. the 40k disappeared quicker than i thought possible.  and all I was left with was my wage. I asked the architect at one point how much it would cost just to cover him, and he said 20k. not to mention all the other trades needed to get permits and drawings. I was lucky to pull in 4500 a month before taxes. 

     I realized that working on Vancouver Island wouldn't allow me to pay down my debt, pay the mortgage and save up to build. Without much thought, I decided that I would go to Vancouver, where the pay was quite a bit higher. I couldnt afford rent there, so the easiest solutions was to sleep in the back of my blazer. 

     that started in 2016, and I'm still doing it. though this period of my life is, thankfully, coming to a close.

     I was flat broke for a long, long time. everything i earned went to paying taxes that went back years. I didn't keep track, but all in all i think i paid close to 80k in taxes, and probably 20 to 30k in credit cards.  

     A lot of things happened while I lived in the back of vehicle that stalled my progress. 

    For the first couple years, I would go back to the house once or twice a month for the weekend. People told me I should rent it out, and, maybe I should have, but it was nice to have somewhere.... stable. van living isnt easy and a refuge was nice.

    After my immediate and pressing debt was paid, I started to save my money in silver bullion. I found that if there was cash in an account, it would get spent, but by buying silver, it was harder for me to spend, and frankly, stacking ounces is addictive.

     I had a proper safe at the house. incredibly heavy. I'm 6'5", 275lbs, and I cannot lift it. anyway, its where I kept my silver and other sentimental objects. 

     I can back one weekend and my house had been broken into during the week and everything had been stolen. including the safe. 620ozs was stolen. at the time it was valued at approx. 14-15k. everything I had saved. I was gutted. every sentimental object I had in that hose was gone or destroyed. I was sad.

     I had asked my neighbor to keep an eye on the house, but that didn't work out, I guess.

     I've gone through 4 different vans over the years.

     my younger brother, Mathew, died in 2020.

     Despite all the setbacks, self doubts, and depression, I did not quit. After paying off all my debt, I was left with about 800 of silver. about 25k. 

    The 5yr term for my mortgage came up last year and I decided to refinance. My debt on the property was about 155k and the  house appraised for a ridiculous 450k. It likely would have appraised for higher, but the roof was leaking and needs immediate replacement, the ceiling in the living room has collapsed. its a mess.  

    anyway, I was able to refinance and I pulled 90k out. this might have been a mistake, as my mortgage payments went from 890 to 2325. I am okay with the crazy increase, because I no longer have any debt and I've increased my income to roughly 8k a month. With that 90k I bought 40oz of gold.

    At the same time I refinanced, I got back in contact with the architect I was using before and re-engaged his services. He was busy and wasn't able to restart until this last march. 

    we have approached the city of Nanaimo to start the process with them and my architect has sent me a list of tender for the various engineers.

    I have restarted and it is moving forward 

     

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.