thank you BP...first property under contract!

thank you BP...first property under contract!

Rental Property Investor · Bethalto, IL · Member since 2014 · 319 posts · 103 votes

First of all, thanks to all of the BiggerPockets Community for answering hundreds of my questions.  What a great site!  

After looking at several dozen properties we found one in the newspaper FSBO. We made our appointment last week after doing some research and driving by the property a couple of times. It's a nice all brick fourplex about 5 miles from our primary residence. offered 95k and it was accepted about six hours later. each unit rents for $450.00 per month. Two units filled with long-term tenants, one just got new flooring and is ready to be rented and the other needs some new flooring and it is good to go. Previous owners have 6 other properties and are selling and moving to Florida for retirement. It hasnt been appraised yet but my estimate is that the value is around 115-120k according to comps. My wife and I are very excited to start this journey...again thanks so much for all of the advice on this site! I'm sure my asking of questions has only just begun! Ha.

13Reply
65 views

Most Popular Reply

Investor/Landlord · Farmington Hills, MI · Member since 2011 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
11y

DJ, by all means keep asking questions. Keep in mind that you are now quite qualified to answer many.

See this reply in the discussion

43 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Investor · Mansfield, OH · Member since 2015 · 27 posts · 10 votes
    11y

    @DJ Cummins

     Congratulations to you and your wife! Very exciting.

  • Rental Property Investor · Durham, NC · Member since 2014 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    11y

    @DJ Cummins

    Congratulations, DJ.  That sounds like a great deal.

    -Randy

  • Investor · Atlanta, GA · Member since 2014 · 49 posts · 12 votes
    11y

    Congrads!  Sounds like a great first deal.  Are you planning to self manage?  With just one property it's probably worth it and you get to learn as you go. That's what we are doing and so far it's worked out fine - not many phone calls.  Can't see why I would pay someone to do it.

  • Real Estate Investor · Middleton, WI · Member since 2015 · 1 post · 0 votes
    11y

    Congratulations! Sounds like a great deal.

    I am also learning a lot at BP and equally looking forward to my first deal on Rental Property.

  • Rocky Hill, CT · Member since 2014 · 200 posts · 56 votes
    11y

    @DJ Cummins- please tell me you asked for seller financing on this and all of his properties:)

    Numbers seem fine if it not in a war zone.

    Good luck!

  • Edmond, OK · Member since 2014 · 34 posts · 5 votes
    11y

    Great job!

  • Rental Property Investor · Bethalto, IL · Member since 2014 · 319 posts · 103 votes
    11y

    Wow.  That is all I can say!  Thank you all for your positive comments.  That really means a lot.  I didn't see one negative post, which is awesome.  I have seen some threads on here get heated...glad there was none of that here.  I am sure I will be posting a lot more often and I look forward to communicating with each of you in the future.  Good luck to all of those people who have said that they are learning and looking for their first deal.  This journey started for me about a year ago, and it has only just begun.  I wish you all the best!

    PS- @Eric Munson  lol....not a war zone, just the Midwest :)  Prices are much lower, but its also a lot harder to come up with that 20% down payment.

    PSS- I guess starting off with "Wow.  That is all I can say" doesn't make much sense when I followed it up with a paragraph!  haha.  Happy Hunting friends!

    DJ

  • New Iberia, LA · Member since 2015 · 13 posts · 1 vote
    11y

    Hi DJ just want to know if you began to market before you put your first house underneath contract. I also seen that you had used a newspaper to find your house, do you know if anymore Reliable resources that might lead me getting a hold of some properties for sale. New to wholesaling and i have been learning much from BP. Congratulations on your first contract.

  • Investor · Riverside, CA · Member since 2015 · 185 posts · 27 votes
    11y

    Congratulations on your first deal, and continue to connect with us!!

  • Rental Property Investor · Bethalto, IL · Member since 2014 · 319 posts · 103 votes
    11y

    @Tre' Watson - our plan all along has been to buy and hold. To be honest I haven't studied much about wholesailing. I looked at dozens of properties on the MLS without much luck. I picked up my local free newspaper that you can place classified ads for free. There are often a lot of homes fsbo in this paper so that might be a place you could try. Good luck to you!

  • New Iberia, LA · Member since 2015 · 13 posts · 1 vote
    11y

    Thanks for Your response DJ, im still looking for My first deal and ill use my local newspaper for a refreference. I understand that realtors are to... how do i put This, they are hard  To bargain with just they know you are.trying to.wholesale. so how hard was it to get a buyers list, did you find friendly realtors.

  • Rental Property Investor · Bethalto, IL · Member since 2014 · 319 posts · 103 votes
    11y

    @Tre' Watson we are partnering with my wifes cousin and his wife.  We started an llc and paid for her to get her realtors license.  So now we can use the mls and look at any properties without an agent hassling us.  She has picked up quick and has already sold a couple of homes in her first two months to other people.  We dont have a buyers list.  We've just been looking daily for properties to come on the market

  • New Iberia, LA · Member since 2015 · 13 posts · 1 vote
    11y

    Now when you Get a house under contract, Are you negotiating a the price so that the buyer can acquire a higher profit or do u get a house under contract at.its.listed price. Thanks again DJ!

  • Rental Property Investor · Michigan City, IN · Member since 2015 · 530 posts · 741 votes
    11y

    Congratulations! The beginning is an interesting place to be. Your motivated and ready to get going, but your nervous and unsure of a lot of things. Now your off and running. I am working on closing my first deal in the next month and I will be off and running as well. 

  • Camas, WA · Member since 2015 · 25 posts · 6 votes
    11y

    wow, how is this possible?...cash flow 15K on a 20K down payment?...ROI 75% assuming no huge capex or maintenance issues?

    I need to move to IL!...great job OP.

  • Rental Property Investor · Bloomfield, NJ · Member since 2015 · 37 posts · 6 votes
    11y

    Congrats on your first deal @DJ Cummins!

  • Rental Property Investor · Bethalto, IL · Member since 2014 · 319 posts · 103 votes
    11y

    @Won Lee thats Illinois for you.  If you have the cash I'd be happy to partner up with you on another one ;-)

  • Jacksonville, FL · Member since 2015 · 4 posts · 1 vote
    11y

    You took that step over the threshold and succeeded, way to go! Please share any concerns you may have had prior to making this deal and how you solved them. Congratulations!

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.