How I got an 8 unit apt complex for no money down!

How I got an 8 unit apt complex for no money down!

Residential Real Estate Agent · Corpus Christi, TX · Member since 2014 · 23 posts · 34 votes

I came across a women who was liquidating her rental property. She had 10 properties...duplexes, commercial building w/ 8 rental units above it, sfr's, quadplex, 8 unit apt comlex etc..

My business partner was interested in the commercial building(listed for 250K) and I was interested in the apt complex(listed for 225K). I made her a 300K cash offer for both just to see where she was at and she countered at 350K!! I countered back at 315K and she accepted.

I then wrote it up as 2 separate contracts explaining that I would be buying one and my partner the other. She was fine with that. So after some negotiating with my partner, I wrote up my 8 unit for 135,500 cash and his at 179,500 cash and got them escrowed quickly.

After doing a few inspections on the 8 unit which all came back fine. I then went back to the seller and told her that I wanted to make her another package deal... 225K for the 8 unit AND the 3 duplexes she owned right across the street(listed for 75K each) on an owner finance deal of 125K down, 100K @ 6% on a 30 am with a 3 yr balloon. After some back and forth we settled at a sales price of 240K, 115K carried by the seller at 6% on a 30yr am with a 3 yr balloon.

I then brought in an investor to buy the 3 duplexes for 125K cash. Leaving me with the 8 unit apartment complex for 115K owner financed with nothing down at 6%. I plan to do some value add by increasing rents(which are well below market currently) along with some capital improvements then refinancing within the 3 yrs.

Final numbers after value add will leave me a conservative $1,800 monthly cash flow!

Bang Zing!

24Reply
69 views

Most Popular Reply

Realtor · Cleveland, OH · Member since 2015 · 2k+ posts · 857 votes
11y

@Cliff Zarbockundefined. Great deal. As  newbie Im very interested in how you structured the deal and would like if can I have you explain some finer points

"After some back and forth we settled at a sales price of 240K, 115K carried by the seller at 6% on a 30yr am with a 3 yr balloon."

My understanding, and tell me if I'm wrong. You had to bring $125K to the table (which you got from your father in law) Did you sell those duplexes prior to owning them? As a wholesale deal? I'm just confused how do you get the $125K to pay the seller before or after you take title to be able to sell the three duplexes.

What does 30yr am with a 3yr balloon? Simple question for some, but im still learning the lingo

See this reply in the discussion

38 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Investor · Rutherfordton , NC · Member since 2015 · 25 posts · 9 votes
    11y

    @Cliff Zarbock

     Can you refinance earlier or do you have to make payments the full 3 years?

  • Residential Real Estate Agent · Corpus Christi, TX · Member since 2014 · 23 posts · 34 votes
    11y

    No, I can refi at anytime. 

  • Johnson City, TN · Member since 2014 · 140 posts · 133 votes
    11y

    Congrats nice work!

  • Entrepreneur · Miami, FL · Member since 2013 · 133 posts · 83 votes
    11y

    @Cliff Zarbock clever story. I am more on single/condo territory but let me ask the following: 1. It is your hope that you will be able to refi. Is this based on the cash-flow performance of the property or your own credit worthiness? 2. Zero repairs? Not even a door knob? 

    Congrats!

  • Joel OwensBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Real Estate Broker · Canton, GA · Member since 2010 · 15k+ posts · 11k+ votes
    11y

    Would have pushed for a longer balloon for pay down and to mitigate risk.

    I have seen these owner finance deals work out and then some crash and burn.

    Hopefully before you close the seller is signing certified financial statements that have been independently audited and verified under penalty of perjury. Also the estoppels need to be tenant signed and every unit inspected.

    If the seller will not certify it is a red flag they are cooking or manipulating the books somehow. I have seen sellers take from a HELOC that had to make it look like they were collecting full rents. They were only collecting half apartment rents and putting Heloc for other half into their business account. They were committing fraud by making the property to appear to be functioning and cash flowing at a level it was not.

  • Real Estate Investor · Portland, OR · Member since 2015 · 7 posts · 0 votes
    11y

    Amazing job! A win for everyone! 

  • Investor · Los Angelos, CA · Member since 2015 · 7 posts · 3 votes
    11y
    Great Deal!
  • Lithonia, GA · Member since 2015 · 1 post · 0 votes
    11y

    Thanks for sharing this detailed information. It raises my confidence that maybe one day I'll be able to pull off similarly great deals.

  • Residential Real Estate Agent · Hattiesburg, MS · Member since 2011 · 475 posts · 141 votes
    11y

    sounds like a great deal, I'd let it season for a year and get a jump on the refi.  

    What type of owner finance did you do?   We usually do a contract for deed with a promissory note.   

  • Homeowner · Woodway, TX · Member since 2015 · 30 posts · 5 votes
    11y
    Cliff Zarbock great post, very clear and easy to understand, and thanks for helping the newbies understand the details, I had questions and they all were answered. Great read, and awesome creativity.
  • Pittsburgh, PA · Member since 2015 · 41 posts · 16 votes
    11y

    Wow man, way to be freakin creative. Thank you for sharing this - definitely going into favorites.

  • Investor · Hercules, CA · Member since 2015 · 208 posts · 47 votes
    11y

    Nice work!  Oh the joys of nailing down a motivated seller.  The seller was not only willing to come down on price but was really flexible on terms with seller financing.  How did you come across the seller in the first place?

  • Contractor · Pittsburgh, PA · Member since 2014 · 885 posts · 359 votes
    11y

    @Cliff Zarbock

    Congratulations!  Excellent work, you should be very proud.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.