One of my small projects is now famous!

One of my small projects is now famous!

Douglas LarsonPro Member
Rental Property Investor · Salt Lake City, UT · Member since 2008 · 410 posts · 337 votes

In late May of 2014 I bought a short sale and renovated the home and yard. It soon became summer and with my kids out of school (a 4 and a 7-year old), we spent a lot of time as a family at the home. I did quite a bit of work on the yard and some on the interior. Mostly, I was babysitting subcontractors and laborers who remodeled the kitchen, re-stained wood floors, painted walls, installed carpet, etc.

As with a most large renovations, there were some unusual challenges. One was a large, overgrown trampoline pit in the back yard. My first thought was to fill it in with dirt and lay sod. After using a 10-pound sledge hammer for way too long trying to remove the cinderblocks, re-bar and anchor cement, I thought "There must be a better option!" I have seen some awesome firepits in This Old House magazine and Houzz.com and I decided to make one with the giant, rectangular hole. I used treated and regular lumber to frame-out the benches and then skinned the framework with Hardiplank cement board. I stained the Hardiplanks and dumped some gravel in the bottom of the pit. The metal fire ring was $69 at Home Depot. The firepit was one of the first projects I completed on the home so the kids begged to roast marshmallows every evening we were there! We made some really fun memories!

I submitted the "before and after" photos to This Old house Magazine several months ago and just last month they told me to watch for it in this month's issue! They said they loved the re-purposing aspect and that it was a small-budget project. The materials were only about $400. I also think it was a great selling feature when I sold the house last fall.

Below are the progress photos:

20Reply
85 views

Most Popular Reply

Contractor · Rockville, MD · Member since 2014 · 423 posts · 135 votes
10y

Well done!  I'm a big fan of TOH and The Family Handyman magazines.  Great job envisioning a nice outdoor space from a hole in the ground and making it happen.  I'm impressed.

See this reply in the discussion

33 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Real Estate Investor · Memphis, TN · Member since 2014 · 156 posts · 101 votes
    10y

    Creativity at its finest!  I love it.

  • Pleasant Grove, UT · Member since 2015 · 16 posts · 6 votes
    10y

    So, about those dog houses.  Here are some ideas assuming they are built from wood.  1) Take the bottoms off.  Put them up on stilts and line the insides with 6" shelves.  Then, given them an awesome paint job (lots of color) and a sign that says "Lending Library."  Install it as close to the sidewalk as the city will allow and fill it with paperbacks.  I imagine the bottom of the walls to be at shoulder height and I get into it where the dog opening was cut out.  2) If the houses are tall enough in the middle for a bicycle, take out the entrance walls and slide the dog houses so the missing walls are in the middle.  Then, hinge the roof and two of the side walls.  With a pad lock or two, you've got secure bicycle parking.  3) Install a new wall a could of inches behind the entrance wall and add LEDs.  At night, it'll light up and look cool.  Then, hinge the whole roof.  Put it on your deck and keep patio cushions in it.  Make two and sell one to pay for the LED lights and hinges and paint.  4) Halloween is coming--simple costume or a spot to jump out from for unsuspecting trick-or-treaters?

    Nice work on the trampoline pit.

  • Rental Property Investor · Closter, NJ · Member since 2015 · 884 posts · 722 votes
    10y

    Beautiful!

  • Investor · Los Angeles, CA · Member since 2015 · 40 posts · 10 votes
    10y

    Well done @Douglas Larson! Great idea and looks amazing.

  • Douglas LarsonPro Member
    OP
    Rental Property Investor · Salt Lake City, UT · Member since 2008 · 410 posts · 337 votes
    10y
    Originally posted by @John Phippen:

    So, about those dog houses.  Here are some ideas assuming they are built from wood.  1) Take the bottoms off.  Put them up on stilts and line the insides with 6" shelves.  Then, given them an awesome paint job (lots of color) and a sign that says "Lending Library."  Install it as close to the sidewalk as the city will allow and fill it with paperbacks.  I imagine the bottom of the walls to be at shoulder height and I get into it where the dog opening was cut out.  2) If the houses are tall enough in the middle for a bicycle, take out the entrance walls and slide the dog houses so the missing walls are in the middle.  Then, hinge the roof and two of the side walls.  With a pad lock or two, you've got secure bicycle parking.  3) Install a new wall a could of inches behind the entrance wall and add LEDs.  At night, it'll light up and look cool.  Then, hinge the whole roof.  Put it on your deck and keep patio cushions in it.  Make two and sell one to pay for the LED lights and hinges and paint.  4) Halloween is coming--simple costume or a spot to jump out from for unsuspecting trick-or-treaters?

    Nice work on the trampoline pit.

     Yes to #4!!!

  • John CasmonPro Member
    Cincinnati, OH · Member since 2013 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    10y

    Awesome, congrats and nice work on the space! 

  • Investor · Akron, OH · Member since 2014 · 26 posts · 10 votes
    10y

    Very creative, and very nicely finished!  Great job!

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.