Paying back friends/partners on Buy and Hold properties!

Paying back friends/partners on Buy and Hold properties!

Accountant · Oakland, CA · Member since 2015 · 26 posts · 4 votes

Hi BP forum,

I was wondering if someone could help me out or point me towards resources that address how investors work with partners to finance buy and hold properties. Specifically, this scenario: I have some cash for a down payment on a buy and hold property, but the money I have will only cover about 75% of the down payment, so I'm considering partnering with a friend who would give me the remaining amount in cash. He would give me a small fraction of the down payment and I would pay the rest and handle all of the other aspects of the purchase and maintenance of the deal once it goes through. 

My question is this: how do investors usually arrange to pay this friend/lender back? I know there is probably not one answer to this question, but I'm trying to get a general sense of how people make these arrangements. Would I just tell him I could pay him all his money back in a year (which would be easy for me to do financially)? Should I pay him back on a monthly basis with interest as if this were a regular loan? Should we split the cash flow over the full term of the mortgage since he is a partner??  

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

0Reply
21 views

Most Popular Reply

Chicago, IL · Member since 2015 · 298 posts · 261 votes
10y

There is no one way to structure it and everybody on here can give you a separate unique way to do it. It all depends on what you and your friends goals are. 

Is he just trying to help you buy real estate or is he looking to partner long term and buy real estate himself also. If he is just trying to help you then you can negotiate a fair loan term and interest rate that you both agree on and that is it. If he wants long term partnership then you discuss how you want to handle it based on the fact that he is bringing 25% of the DP. One way would be to leave all the buildings revenue in a neutral separate bank account and then at the end of every month, quarter, year, etc? you disburse any amounts over what is to be left for reserve between the two of you.

These are just a couple of ways to do it.

See this reply in the discussion

10 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Chicago, IL · Member since 2015 · 298 posts · 261 votes
    10y

    There is no one way to structure it and everybody on here can give you a separate unique way to do it. It all depends on what you and your friends goals are. 

    Is he just trying to help you buy real estate or is he looking to partner long term and buy real estate himself also. If he is just trying to help you then you can negotiate a fair loan term and interest rate that you both agree on and that is it. If he wants long term partnership then you discuss how you want to handle it based on the fact that he is bringing 25% of the DP. One way would be to leave all the buildings revenue in a neutral separate bank account and then at the end of every month, quarter, year, etc? you disburse any amounts over what is to be left for reserve between the two of you.

    These are just a couple of ways to do it.

  • Accountant · Oakland, CA · Member since 2015 · 26 posts · 4 votes
    10y

    @Account Closed thanks for the feedback

    My goal for now is to not have a long term partner, so I'd want to pay him back in a year at the latest. So say I want to pay him back in 8 months with a small return. How should I determine a fair return (interest to pay him)? And should I draw up a contract myself or is this something I can find a template online for work with some type of third party on?

  • Investor · Louisville, KY · Member since 2011 · 331 posts · 278 votes
    10y

    @Justin Brown Since your goal is to pay him back in less than a year, just structure a Note that is fair to each of you.  Given the choice, err on the slightly generous side.  An extra 0.5-1% over a year is virtually trivial.  Not only is he enabling this deal, but he may be willing to lend again once you pay him off. 

  • Accountant · Oakland, CA · Member since 2015 · 26 posts · 4 votes
    10y

    @Account Closed mentions above. also, btw, the deal isn't in CA.

    thanks Erik for the note suggestion-I've already started looking at templates online. that seems like it would be the easiest solution. and your advice about keeping the rate higher than bare minimum makes sense because I want to leave the door open for future opportunities with the lender/friend.

  • Rental Property Investor · Rockford, IL · Member since 2014 · 4k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    10y

    @Justin Brown,

    I don't have my notes handy, but there are sites on the web where you can set up a private loan note and track payments and such. Not sure what to Google to find any, but I know they're out there.

    If I can find that in my notes I'll post back with a site name or anything else I can find.

    Try Googling "personal loan payment agreement form" and see what comes up...

  • Rental Property Investor · East Wenatchee, WA · Member since 2014 · 10k+ posts · 16k+ votes
    10y

    If it were me, I would just borrow the money and pay back interest.  No ownership or equity.  It would be best to collateralize this loan with another asset.  If you are trying to obtain conventional or normal financing, you have to account for every dollar.  They will not allow a 2nd, 3rd lien, etc on the property.  They will also need to see where every dollar of your DP comes from.

    Best case scenario for me would be to borrow the money and give my buddy title to my car, boat, motorcycle, whatever to hold until payoff. Borrow it 2 or 3 months before the purchase if possible and let it sit in your account for bank POF. Good luck @Justin Brown!

  • Developer · Philadelphia, PA · Member since 2015 · 2k+ posts · 904 votes
    10y

    @Justin Brown

    Use a simple note agreement you can get from the web. If can't find one, PM me and I will send you a template I have used in the past.

    In order to make this a win-win situation, ask them what interest they are looking for (if their alternative is to let it sit in a money market, 7%-8% seems like a good offer). On the other hand, they may want 15%-20% if they have access to other investment sources.

  • Accountant · Oakland, CA · Member since 2015 · 26 posts · 4 votes
    10y

    @Percy N. and @Steve Vaughan thanks for the great advice.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.