First time homebuyer - with a new gleam in his eye.

First time homebuyer - with a new gleam in his eye.

Investor · Bath, ME · Member since 2016 · 40 posts · 6 votes

Hi gang, 

I'm sharing my story here because I'm interested in your thoughts and feedback, and because I'm pretty excited about how the buyer-turned-investor learning curve is shaping up. 

My girlfriend and I bought our first house together 6 1/2 years ago. She had the down payment, I had the credit score and monthly income to make it work. I didn't know how to look at the terms of the deal - she was excited that "they gave us a house!" But I was fixated on the six-figure interest projections of the 30-year note. 

It was a 5/1 ARM at 5.65% - I didn't know what an ARM was. we split a year later, I bought her out, then for $600 bucks in fees, I moved into a 5/1 ARM at 3.99%. I strongly considered a refi and fixed-term loan, but I decided on the ARM with an aggressive payoff schedule.

Twice last year, I looked seriously at rental property - once getting approval to finance, the second time I worked out a 3.5% home equity loan at for 80% of my current house, which would have bought the other property outright. I ended up not doing either deal. In addition, I've been renting out two rooms in my place for about four years at an average return of $750 a month.

I got within striking distance of paying off the mortgage this year, but decided to invest in liquid index funds and keep the mortgage interest deduction coming. The ARM is up soon. The bank has informed me that the interest rate is dropping half a point, and my new payment is $160.00 a month. Goodbye, mortgage interest deduction, hello extra cashflow.

And THAT's when I finally cracked. The opportunity cost on not investing the extra dosh now seems way too high, right? 

My current plan is to buy a single-family home near mine to rent and hold long-term. Once that's rolling along solidly, I'll be ready to look at other options. 

The rent-should-be-2%-of-the-buying-price axiom is slowing me down. I think I can hit 1% and cash flow positive, but 2% seems really hard in my area. Better to stay close to the place I already own, or branch out and deal with the extra logistics of property elsewhere? 

Thanks for reading - I'm pretty excited about this community, and grateful for the connections I've already made. Forward!

0Reply
13 views

2 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Realtor · Schertz, TX · Member since 2015 · 226 posts · 53 votes
    10y

    when i first started getting into real estae, i struggled a lot with the 2% Rule of Thumb as well.  But bear in mind it is only a rule of thumb.  Your rent should be based on the rental market in your area, not so much on the 2% "rule".  There are many opinions and articles on the use of the 2% rule.  Its just a guideline, follow your analysis (and be sure its a solid, accurate analysis)...if that works, then go with it.

    I had considered paying of my house first before getting into real estate investing as well. A very kind investor on BP enlightened me about the opportunity i would lose by not investing that extra cash i was dumping into my principal.  From a rate of return standpoint investing the extra cash makes more sense.  But long term, by carrying your mortgage for the full term and making minimum payment, you are racking up some serious interest charges (but hey that's finance folks).

    It really depends on your financial goals and what YOU want.  If paying off your mortgage is important to you (albeit an emotional decision in some/most cases), then pay off your mortgage.  If cash flow is more important then direct yourself accordingly.  I decided for myself that i would rather get a better return on my extra cash than pay off my house, though in the long run will be paying the mortgager handsmely in interest.  

    Im not sure how helpful i was if at all, just my 2¢.  Hopefully this wasn't too disjointed ha ha.

    Thanks and best wishes,

    Miles

  • Professional · Carlsbad, CA · Member since 2012 · 12k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    10y

    @Randall Williams

    Welcome to Bigger Pockets. It is a good community to network and learn about all aspects of real-estate investing.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.