Investor · Provo, UT · Member since 2016 · 15 posts · 7 votes
Hey! As we prepare to market are two condos I am wondering if we will be hedging out to many possible tenants by not allowing pets. I really do not want to allow cats as they seem to spray and many people have allergies to them. What about small dogs? Give me your thoughts on pets Thank you
Real Estate Agent · Washington, D.C. · Member since 2012 · 17k+ posts · 30k+ votes
10y
I allow pets as it helps me squeeze out a higher rent. My tenants with pets tend to be better tenants than the ones without as well. Im not saying there is a correlation, it has just been the case with my small sample size.
Rental Property Investor · Cleveland, OH · Member since 2015 · 1k+ posts · 880 votes
10y
In our single family homes we allow small dogs. In our multi-family properties we do not allow pets at all. Cats have a great habit of spraying and pissing all over things and getting that smell out of drywall, flooring, carpet padding, etc is a nightmare. We used to allow dogs in all of our properties, but we got tired of fielding complaints from tenants about their neighbors dogs barking, etc, so we just made a blanket policy of not pets in multi-families. We know that this limits the renter pool quite a bit at times, but I'd rather limit the pool than deal with angry tenants because people aren't home and their dogs won't stop barking.
In the single family space, we do charge a monthly fee and an additional deposit to cover potential damage that dogs, even small ones, can cause.
Rental Property Investor · East Wenatchee, WA · Member since 2014 · 10k+ posts · 16k+ votes
10y
When the property type matches, we definitely allow animals. A condo wouldn't be at the top of my list to allow them, though. Similar to multi-family and the problems @Matt Motil presents.
I like to allow when I can. Responsible pet owners make great long-term renters. All about the owners. They also have a hard time finding other LLs that allow animals so there is a built-in resistance to moving.
All my animals must be fixed and licensed. Period. I haven't used the word 'pet' in a few years with all the emotional support animal (ESA) language and laws. I don't charge 'pet deposits' anymore either for the same reason. I chose to heighten the deposit requirements on all my units, but reserve the right to reduce the deposit requirement if they don't have an animal. Cheers!
Investor · Topeka, KS · Member since 2015 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
10y
I will allow pets in the homes that I have wood flooring all throughout. I do try to limit size and quantity, but I limit them by higher fees. I have a lady that has 3 German Shepherds living in a home of mine. I charge $40/month per dog as a fee (non refundable). She has lived there for 4 years now. That's a lot of money she has paid in pet fees.
We regularly (every 3-6 months) inspect our homes so I know if something is really going wrong. So far no big deal. And as I stated above, I try to finish the home out in materials that are not easily damaged by pets.
Head of Real Estate Investing at BiggerPockets · Seattle, WA · Member since 2015 · 224 posts · 826 votes
10y
I've always allowed pets, and have never charged pet rent. I do add a $250 (refundable) pet deposit on top of the normal security deposit. I know a lot of my friends with pets are charged pet rent, and it's something I'm considering but haven't implemented yet.
Head of Real Estate Investing at BiggerPockets · Seattle, WA · Member since 2015 · 224 posts · 826 votes
10y
Oh, and meant to mention -
You should have a 'pet policy' as an addendum to your lease. You should make it clear that a) you're not liable for anything that happens to their pet b) that any damage to property or people is the pet owner's responsibility, and c) the pet owner is responsible for cleaning up after their pet (if you have a yard). It has shocked me over the years how many tenants don't clean up after their dogs, despite sharing the yard with 5-6 other people. It's disgusting and inconsiderate, and you need to outline a policy/penalty.
Rental Property Investor · Charlotte, NC · Member since 2015 · 58 posts · 19 votes
10y
I'm a dog lover myself and appreciate someone who loves dogs as well, I don't allow cats as the hair and smell tend to be difficult to get out of the house. I try to better understand their care and concern through the screening process. I charge a $300 non refundable pet deposit when they rent and of course have the refundable deposit if anything should occur.
Investor · San Mateo, CA · Member since 2014 · 32 posts · 37 votes
10y
I have always maintained a no pet policy, I just finished renovations on a new tri-plex with a large yard, I thought about allowing pets with additional pet rent, but I just would not want to deal with other tenants complaining about noise or pets making a mess. When one couple came to look the place they were appalled at the notion of additional pet rent. What are others getting for pet rent? How do you weed out the bad pets? Have you found current landlord reference to be a good check?
I have always maintained a no pet policy, I just finished renovations on a new tri-plex with a large yard, I thought about allowing pets with additional pet rent, but I just would not want to deal with other tenants complaining about noise or pets making a mess. When one couple came to look the place they were appalled at the notion of additional pet rent. What are others getting for pet rent? How do you weed out the bad pets? Have you found current landlord reference to be a good check?
I don't charge additional but (so far) do not allow anything besides dogs. To date, I have found that good tenants = good pet owners. The people that I have rented to that have pets would have been good tenants either way, so the dog is just along for the ride.
How do I weed out the bad pets? I weed out the bad pet owners. This is a generalization, because there are exceptions, but indicators I look for:
1. Lack of shots/immunizations
2. Dog is not fixed.
3. Prospective tenant tells me dog is an "outside dog".
4. Local person that can't name a park/outdoor area/whatever that they occasionally take their dog to exercise.
5. Doesn't know who their vet is/doesn't have a vet.
6. Doesn't know what the dog eats.
The first three are automatic disqualifiers. I don't accept dogs that have not been spayed or neutered, have no shot records, and do not stay indoors with their owners. If they pass those tests, I find out the others by asking. If you had a kid and someone asked you what you fed them, you could probably answer (I hope so!). Someone who can tell me what kind of food they feed their dog, and where they go to run, fetch a ball, or get some rays is going to be the kind of person that thinks of their dog as "their kid" and will act accordingly. Aside from that, I add specifics into the lease - nails must be kept clipped so as to not damage floors; yard must be picked up no less than twice weekly; etc. I try to always "visit" the dog beforehand if possible, usually by telling the prospective tenant "I love dogs, you should bring Fido/Barfy by when you drop off your paperwork".
Real Estate Broker · Chicago, IL · Member since 2015 · 531 posts · 266 votes
10y
Some of the best tenants I ever worked with had dogs.
I would put "pets considered with additional deposit" in all your marketing. Then, make a decision based on the individual, and their credit and income.
i believe it's federal law for renters to own a pet. some states require multiple pets.
true story.
Ha ha so true. This reminds me of a Craigslist post I just saw for someone who was looking for a house for their 3 kids and 5 pets. Dogs, cat and some other random animal I forgot. Oh yes and their target price was 25% under market value.
Investor · San Mateo, CA · Member since 2014 · 32 posts · 37 votes
10y
Along these same lines has anyone dealt with therapy animals? I had a renter spring this on me after they signed the lease. What can you ask for in terms of documentation and can you ask for pet deposit? She had a Dr note that stated she could bring the dog on the airplane and that was all. Just curious.
Real Estate Investor · Schaumburg, IL · Member since 2014 · 76 posts · 30 votes
10y
The majority of our clients have trended to allow pets. They address the issues of possible damages with a clearly outlined section of upfront pet fees/damages in the lease and addendum. In the big picture it becomes an additional risk/reward situation that is dependent on your screening process when it comes to identifying the responsible pet owner.
Jericho, NY · Member since 2016 · 29 posts · 5 votes
10y
I'm curious about this pet rent policy as well. I am in the midst of purchasing a condo that allows pets. However, the HOA board has a bunch of rules regarding the pets and penalties if the rules are broken. Would it be worth it to allow a tenant to bring in a pet for an extra 80 per month in rent under the condition that on the lease, he agrees to pay for any infractions and penalties that his dog causes? The penalties are 150 per incident.
Investor · Sidman, PA · Member since 2013 · 50 posts · 15 votes
10y
I do allow pets in my units. I charge an extra pet deposit of $200/pet and then charge an extra $25/mth/pet. Knock on wood, thusfar there has not been an issue. Alot of people are looking for pet friendly apartments so it only made sense to allow them in my area. When the last people moved out of the apartment, I went in and inspected the apartment and there was no damage caused by their pet and they got their entire pet deposit back. Hopefully it stays going well.
Rental Property Investor · New York, NY · Member since 2015 · 57 posts · 16 votes
10y
This is a great conversation. As a current tenant in a multifamily home that allows pets (until we close on our first home next month!), it has been very difficult to find apartments with a pet allowance. In my general area there is typically a big pet deposit at signing and a monthly fee per pet if they offer that at all. We live in a multifamily where all the tenants and owner are veterinarians so they can get away with not charging us. Asking a basic history about the animals as outlined in an earlier post is an excellent idea. That will help you weed out problems in veterinary medicine and with animal owning tenants!
Specialist · Lakewood, CO · Member since 2014 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
10y
I think much of your decision is going to be based on what the market is doing. Here in Denver if you say no pets you will lose somewhere around 75% of the market that I'm in.
Investor · Mason, MI · Member since 2014 · 151 posts · 152 votes
10y
We allow Cats, Birds and Fish at $20 a heartbeat up to two. If the bird is loud then it is not allowed. We do not allow dogs, rodents or reptiles. I love dogs, but a dog in an apartment is a problem waiting to happen for all the obvious reasons. The reason for no rodents is once one escapes - half the building wants to move. No reptiles is for the same reason as no rodents.
That being said ESA (emotional support animals) might cause me to have to embrace a much larger segment of the animal kingdom.
Rental Property Investor · Portland, OR · Member since 2015 · 338 posts · 332 votes
10y
I allow pets because it gives me a competitive advantage. Also, many people have pets in Portland. Personally, I think it's a tragedy when someone abandons/relinquishes their pet because "the new landlord doesn't allow pets." The renter should find a place that allows pets, or not have a pet in the first place, but if more landlords allowed pets, fewer animals would get euthanized.
Contractor · Raymond, NH · Member since 2016 · 13 posts · 4 votes
10y
I have always been a animal person but I have had to implement a no dog policy cause my insurance won't allow so many different breeds so have found just easier to not allow them. Do allow cats but have policy that they must be neutered with proof and up to date with shots