There are a lot of excuses people use for why they don’t invest in real estate. Maybe they work too much. Maybe they don’t have any money. Maybe the market is too hot. But some — like our guest today — don’t let those difficulties stop them. Instead, they use creativity to overcome obstacles and build a real estate empire. So today on the BiggerPockets Podcast, we are excited to introduce you to Dave Meyer, an investor from the Denver market, who shares his story of buying eight units using creativity, intelligence, and in incredible level of hustle!
Click here to listen on iTunes.
Listen to the Podcast Here
Watch the Podcast Here
Help Us Out!
Help us reach new listeners on iTunes by leaving us a rating and review! It takes just 30 seconds and instructions can be found here. Thanks! We really appreciate it!
This Show Sponsored By
We just wanted to give a shout out to our podcast sponsor on today’s show: RealtyShares. RealtyShares is a crowdfunding platform that allows you to invest in professionally managed properties without leaving your living room!
Learn more by visiting RealtyShares.com/biggerpockets!
Fire Round Sponsor
A huge thanks as well to our Fire Round sponsor FreshBooks.
FreshBooks customers spend less time on paperwork, freeing up 2 days per month to focus on the work they love. What would you do with that extra time?
Learn more by visiting FreshBooks.
In This Episode We Cover:
- Who exactly Dave, the VP of Growth for BiggerPockets, is
- How his silly neighbor unintentionally encouraged him to buy a house
- Why he chose his friend as a partner
- The details of his first deal
- What he looked for in his first deal
- The numbers on that deal
- Would it still be a great deal without the appreciation in Denver?
- How he raised his funds for this project
- The importance of acting on opportunities now
- Who manages his properties?
- How a tenant built a staircase for him
- How you can learn the market by working hands-on
- How Dave bought properties while waiting tables
- His first experience with house hacking
- Tips to keep in mind regarding zoning when finding properties
- And SO much more!
Links from the Show
- Josh’s Twitter Account
- Brandon’s Twitter Account
- BiggerPockets Webinar
- BiggerPockets Forums
- Dancing with the Stars
- How Great Leaders Inspire Action by Simon Sinek (TED Talk)
Books Mentioned in this Show
- The Book on No or Low Money Down by Brandon Turner
- The Ultimate Beginners Guide to Real Estate Investing by BiggerPockets
- Start with Why by Simon Sinek
- Leaders Eat Last by Simon Sinek
- “If you have an opportunity, you’re a fool to ignore it. Find a way to do it.” (Tweet This!)
- “You learn a tremendous amount if you do hands on things such as screening the tenants, doing the open houses. You learn the market and what people want.” (Tweet This!)
- “Find the deal and figure out how to get the money to make it happen.” (Tweet This!)
- “Once you start owning, it feels weird to start paying someone else to live in their house.” (Tweet This!)