I live in Southern California now, but am from the midwest, spent many years living in downtown Chicago, and went to grad school at UChicago, which is right where these guys are operating, so I'm familiar with the area.
I happened to be in Chicago for work last week, and gave them a heads up that I would be in town, that I wanted to meet up, check out their operation, etc. Long story short, I liked what I saw, and just signed an agreement for my first property with them. I close in Mid May, and I'll provide updates as they are warranted.
I went with a 3 unit / 4bd (12 total bds) building, gut rehabbed. $275k, 25% down, estimated monthly rent $3600, pending review by CHA (these are almost all Section 8 tenants).
Investor · Portland, OR · Member since 2014 · 146 posts · 101 votes
10y
I've purchased 2 properties through Elite. I liked the work they did on the rehab on the two properties I purchased, but in all four units, it took them a month or more to place tenants. My expectation was that the tenants would be in the property when we closed. And one unit has been vacant for 4 months now. When I asked about it, I was told to call back in a month and check on the status. I was disappointed that they weren't proactively sending me emails letting me know of the status, and expected me to put in the effort to contact them about it. The PM I have for my other multifamily unit is much more proactive with their communication.
Also, the projections they gave were high. I expected as much out of someone trying to sell a property. The 3 units that are rented ended up short of the rent projections they showed me. But with everything else I've experienced, I wouldn't recommend Elite as a PM.
Investor · Westlake Village, CA · Member since 2015 · 73 posts · 70 votes
10y
Peter -
I don't have (or really track to) those metrics. I suppose I would focus on cap rate if I was buying a property where the purchase and resale price was directly tied to cap rate (e.g. valuation of an apartment complex). For SFH and small multis, I just do my own thing.
Specifically:
25% down = $68,750
$3600/mo = $43,200/yr
Annual P&I = $12,600/yr (assume 4.25%, 30y fixed)
OpEx = $21,600/yr assume 50% per the general rule of thumb I see floating around these forums (mgmt fee, repairs & maintenance, vacancy, insurance, snow removal, etc).
Net CF = $9,000
$9,000 / $68,750 ~ 13%
Honestly, I think the 50% OpEx is high on the repair component for the first few years because it's a gut rehab, but it's a high crime / high risk area that may get trashed more than average too, so I'll assume 50% for my calculations.
Investor · Portland, OR · Member since 2014 · 146 posts · 101 votes
10y
I've purchased 2 properties through Elite. I liked the work they did on the rehab on the two properties I purchased, but in all four units, it took them a month or more to place tenants. My expectation was that the tenants would be in the property when we closed. And one unit has been vacant for 4 months now. When I asked about it, I was told to call back in a month and check on the status. I was disappointed that they weren't proactively sending me emails letting me know of the status, and expected me to put in the effort to contact them about it. The PM I have for my other multifamily unit is much more proactive with their communication.
Also, the projections they gave were high. I expected as much out of someone trying to sell a property. The 3 units that are rented ended up short of the rent projections they showed me. But with everything else I've experienced, I wouldn't recommend Elite as a PM.
Can you share what was projected vs. what you ultimately got? And what month / year you first purchased? PM is fine if you think that's not appropriate for the thread.
Investor · Portland, OR · Member since 2014 · 146 posts · 101 votes
10y
@Percy N., there was no rent guarantee, but I was okay with that. I was, however, expecting that they would have tenants in the property when the deal closed.
@David Fitch, I'm out of the country right now, but I'll post them when I'm back and have access to the rent projections and actual numbers. I closed on the first one in July, 2015 and the second one in November.
Investor · Westlake Village, CA · Member since 2015 · 73 posts · 70 votes
10y
Been a while since I posted, and we're close to closing so figured I'd provide an update.
So far, things remain smooth. Was originally targeting a May 5th close, but had some delays with the city that bumped out the inspection, which then bumped out the close. Looking like another 2 weeks.
Otherwise, all is well - the financing side is pretty much ready, appraisal ordered (not complete), etc. Just waiting on an inspection, and then a close date.
I went with their recommended lender to make it easier (BlueStar mortgage), apparently they do about 90% of the financing for Elite. All options that I requested were 30y fixed - rates provided were 4.250%, 4.375%, 4.625%, with varying charges / credits associated with those. Also assumes 25% down.
Still not closed - original target of May 5th is now a couple weeks in the rear view mirror. I'm following up 1-2 times per week with the construction coordinator to see when I can get my inspector in, but thus far I haven't gotten much traction. I'll give it another week or two before I escalate. I'm not day trading here, so don't really mind delays of a few weeks, but if it starts stretching to months, I'll be annoyed.
Investor · Westlake Village, CA · Member since 2015 · 73 posts · 70 votes
10y
Hi all - sorry for the delayed response.
Closing is not complete, but it is finally scheduled for next Thursday. That makes it about 2 months past the originally anticipated close, which I'm fine with. I've had a lot of productive back and forth with Alex and his team, and the financing team at BlueStar. I'm told 2 of the 3 units already have screened and approved tenants available, so we're close.
I had an independent inspection, and Elite agreed to all of the proposed repairs - most were pretty minor and easily accomplished.
Overall I've been happy with the team, and am already planning to purchase another building from them.
I'll start posting progress / issues once tenants are in place.
Investor · Westlake Village, CA · Member since 2015 · 73 posts · 70 votes
10y
I closed today on schedule. A nice gent came to my house on time this morning with all of the docs ready for signature. I initiated the wire transfer shortly thereafter.
Now, hopefully I'll get tenants in sooner rather than later! I have 4bd units so will be interesting to see if those are in higher or lower demand than the 3bd units (e.g. will I be waiting a while for tenants, or will they be filled almost immediately).
I closed today on schedule. A nice gent came to my house on time this morning with all of the docs ready for signature. I initiated the wire transfer shortly thereafter.
Now, hopefully I'll get tenants in sooner rather than later! I have 4bd units so will be interesting to see if those are in higher or lower demand than the 3bd units (e.g. will I be waiting a while for tenants, or will they be filled almost immediately).
I'll provide additional updates as I have them.
Finally! Congrats. It was about 6 mo ago when we discussed about this area/property?
Investor · Westlake Village, CA · Member since 2015 · 73 posts · 70 votes
10y
Hi there - yes probably about 5 months since initial discussion. 3 months of that was known delay, e.g. at the time that I selected the building it was still under construction and not expected to close until May. The actual delay between expected closing and actual closing was about 2 months, so not a big problem for me.
On the upside, I received confirmation that all requested repairs were completed that came out of my independent inspection. I really like their process for that - they set up a shared Google drive, post instructions for you to specify what you'd like fixed into a spreadsheet they have up there, and basically just upload the inspection report as supplementary info. They go line by line and make comments about what they'll fix, vs. what they won't. I had about 30 items to repair / complete (some weren't really repairs, but were items that just weren't complete at the time of inspection). They go through and take photos of the repairs and post those to the Google drive as well.
Now I just need some tenants! I received access to my Appfolio account, so I can see my building account, the applicants, status of all of that, etc.
Investor · Westlake Village, CA · Member since 2015 · 73 posts · 70 votes
10y
I have not dealt with Section 8 tenants, but am willing to give it a go. I'm not terrible picky about late payments as long as it eventually trickles in. It's long-term vacancy and / or large scale damage that concerns me the most.
I've really only worked with Alex, Sunny, and a few of the folks that coordinate the construction and prop mgmt onboarding, so I don't know if Jillian is still there.
Thanks for the update - I am planning to follow this story to the end. My business partner and I were interested in securing multi-family units, but most turn-key companies only focus on single family. With respect to Section 8 tenants, there are positives such as government guarantee rent each month and liability on property damage. You might want to research what the guidelines are in Chicago, so you are familiar with the rules. From my experience the only true negative with Section 8 is 12-month leases. The government requires annual renewal, so 24 or more months are not the norm.
Investor · Fairhaven, MA · Member since 2016 · 100 posts · 88 votes
10y
Hi @David Fitch - Thank you for the continuing story... I enjoy reading your on-going experience, and it helps to hear about other turnkey property purchasers who are on the same ride as I am.
Rental Property Investor · Easton, PA · Member since 2013 · 357 posts · 92 votes
10y
@David Fitch Thanks for the blog and updates. I just finished catching up on Michael L thread, and offers honest on the ground feedback about TK properties .
Question for you since it has been 2 months since you closed? Tenants ? fully occupied ? any issues getting tenants into 4BD? demand higher or lower than 3 BDs
I am considering TK and Chicago has made short list of cities to invest in
@David Fitch Thanks for the blog and updates. I just finished catching up on Michael L thread, and offers honest on the ground feedback about TK properties .
Question for you since it has been 2 months since you closed? Tenants ? fully occupied ? any issues getting tenants into 4BD? demand higher or lower than 3 BDs
I am considering TK and Chicago has made short list of cities to invest in