Partnership breakdown. I pay for property he pays for rehab.

Partnership breakdown. I pay for property he pays for rehab.

Investor · San Francisco, CA · Member since 2015 · 302 posts · 206 votes
Question about how best to structure this deal. Im buying a buy and hold strategy duplex for 200k using 30% down of my money on a loan in my name. I have a partner who's willing to put up the 25k in cash that it needs in work. He is simply putting in the money and Im literally doing everything else. Curious if anyone has any thoughts on how to best structure the deal? A split equaling the money we both put up doesn't seem fair because I did and am going to be doing everything else.
0Reply
13 views

Most Popular Reply

Lender · Ladera Ranch, CA · Member since 2015 · 21 posts · 10 votes
10y

I agree with Matt that you should try to negotiate a fixed cost/return (say 6% to 10% per annum) for the $25k (treat it as if it was a loan) because you are coming up with the $60k down payment plus closing costs, your partner is only putting up the $25k to rehab, and you are doing the work.  I assume you will also be managing the rental, paying bills, handling leasing, making the loan payments, etc.

A typical partnership structure I've seen is when one partner puts up all the money and the other partner does all the work, they split profits equally.  However, you would need something way more favorable since you are also putting up most of the money and are taking the risk with the loan since it's in your name.

Best of luck!

See this reply in the discussion

7 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Attorney · Bettendorf, IA · Member since 2015 · 106 posts · 47 votes
    10y

    With that setup, would he or she be willing to loan the money for a set rate of return?  

  • Lender · Ladera Ranch, CA · Member since 2015 · 21 posts · 10 votes
    10y

    I agree with Matt that you should try to negotiate a fixed cost/return (say 6% to 10% per annum) for the $25k (treat it as if it was a loan) because you are coming up with the $60k down payment plus closing costs, your partner is only putting up the $25k to rehab, and you are doing the work.  I assume you will also be managing the rental, paying bills, handling leasing, making the loan payments, etc.

    A typical partnership structure I've seen is when one partner puts up all the money and the other partner does all the work, they split profits equally.  However, you would need something way more favorable since you are also putting up most of the money and are taking the risk with the loan since it's in your name.

    Best of luck!

  • Investor · San Francisco, CA · Member since 2015 · 302 posts · 206 votes
    10y

    He isn't interested in that. He more wants a long term interest in the property. 

  • Chris MyersPro Member
    Wholesaler · Lynnwood, WA · Member since 2014 · 5 posts · 3 votes
    10y
    Of course he isn't interested in that! He would rather give you 25k and reap the long term rewards from your hard work. I would find another partner or keep negotiating.
  • Lender · Ladera Ranch, CA · Member since 2015 · 21 posts · 10 votes
    10y

    Time to move on and find another partner.  Maybe ask a family member or friend.  Lot's of people with some cash would love a 6%-10% return right now when CD rates are so low.

  • Member since 2016 · 13k+ posts · 12k+ votes
    10y

    Good advice except no one has asked what your past track record is in the business.

    If you have extensive experience then you warrant a higher percentage but without a track record your investor is taking a very high risk.

    We know what your perspective partner is bringing to the table so what do you offer.

  • Pelham, NH · Member since 2010 · 90 posts · 51 votes
    10y

    Let's say the ARV is $250,000. If you are putting in all the work and he is simply pumping a little cash into it, then maybe his $25k buys him 10% of net revenues? Then if/when you sell the property he gets his initial investment of $25k back at the end? Or a higher percent upfront until his initial investment is repaid then he essentially earns a smaller % of "royalties" from that point on. Gets him into it for long term, gives him a chance to free uo his money sooner, but keeps the development benefits and management income in your hands. I would consider that deal depending on the actual deal financials. I mean if he only earns $500/yr maybe it doesn't shake out as nicely for him.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.