Syndicator of Large Apartment Buildings · Glen Mills, PA · Member since 2009 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
I am happy to report that today I closed on a 240 unit apartment complex in Atlanta, GA that I bought for $9.4 million and it appraised for $9.9 million. Capital raise was $3 million and my investors are super excited!!
Real Estate Investor · Littleton, CO · Member since 2013 · 197 posts · 77 votes
10y
@Brian Adams
Congratulations! Would you mind sharing some details, rents, debt service how you put the deal together? Thanks in advance and great to see you getting deals done.
Real Estate Investor · Littleton, CO · Member since 2013 · 197 posts · 77 votes
10y
@Brian Adams
Congratulations! Would you mind sharing some details, rents, debt service how you put the deal together? Thanks in advance and great to see you getting deals done.
Congratulations! Would you mind sharing some details, rents, debt service how you put the deal together? Thanks in advance and great to see you getting deals done.
I did a Fannie Mae loan execution. The LTV was 83%.
This is a value add deal and anticipate holding the asset for 3 to 5 years. I decided to go with a 7 year adjustable rate mortgage. I locked the base interest rate at 3.43% and the index floater is based on the 1 month LIBOR or a going in rate at 3.869%. With potential interest rate risk I do have the option to lock the rate into a fixed rate loan product.
This is my 4th syndication and work with investors who are looking for passive income without the hassle of running a large deal like this.
I live 40 minutes south of Philadelphia, PA and have a local 3rd party management company in Georgia who will manage the day to day operations.
I am very hands on operator and work very closely, in partnership with the management company to help me execute my value-add strategy on this asset.
Rental Property Investor · CA · Member since 2011 · 82 posts · 32 votes
10y
@BrianAdams If you are able to share, what was the minimum investment you required per investor and what was the actual lowest an investor contributed?
And a big congrats! I can't wait to start getting on on deals like this.
Re: renovations, the bones and exterior of the asset are solid. Current occupancy is 93% and when units become vacant we will perform a unit turn upgrade program including new flooring, painting the cabinets, new hardware, new lighting, new ceiling fan, etc. Currently the seller is doing this exact same strategy and achieving a $50 to $75 rent premium on upgraded units. Anticipate turning 50 to 60 units in the next 18 months with this approach to grow out NOI.
Most of my investors funded $100k+. However in my PPM that was prepared by my securities attorney, the minimum was $50k to get into the deal and only open to accredited investors as defined by SEC.
I just read through the link you sent to your post on how you quit your job. That's very inspirational. I'm currently working full-time in financial accounting.
I actually attended a richdad conference once and the speaker was also a retired CPA that had the exact same light bulb moment you did. He said he was seeing how much his clients were making and he decided he could do the same.
I'm planning on making the transition into full-time real estate at some point. I am starting slow, my goal is 1 deal/year, and ramp it up once I get more experience. It makes more sense than working in a cubicle.
I just read through the link you sent to your post on how you quit your job. That's very inspirational. I'm currently working full-time in financial accounting.
I actually attended a richdad conference once and the speaker was also a retired CPA that had the exact same light bulb moment you did. He said he was seeing how much his clients were making and he decided he could do the same.
I'm planning on making the transition into full-time real estate at some point. I am starting slow, my goal is 1 deal/year, and ramp it up once I get more experience. It makes more sense than working in a cubicle.
Same thing happened to me. I saw all the tax returns I was doing for clients and realized that it could be a pretty good thing and I knew I wanted in on it.
Rental Property Investor · Sugar Land, TX · Member since 2014 · 65 posts · 33 votes
10y
@Brian Adams I read about your story from working long hours as a CPA to having that 'aha moment' where you said to yourself, my clients are doing this, why not me? And then it seems the rest is history. It was truly inspiring. Congratulations on all the success from your action plan.
When I read about deals like yours like closing on a 240 unit apartment, it gives me the enthusiasm to pursue my first multifamily and continue to move up. As I told @Gino Barbaro in his thread about busting through your limitations, it's invigorating to see these success stories happening. And on your terms.
Congratulations on your 4th syndication deal and on acquiring 240 more doors! Thanks for sharing your success with the community! If you don't mind me asking -
What was the biggest obstacle you had to overcome to get the deal done?
What is the biggest lesson you learned from doing this deal?
Thanks in advance. I'm looking forward to your responses!