Closed on first rental property

Closed on first rental property

Investor · Gilroy, CA · Member since 2016 · 255 posts · 195 votes

Hello all. I am excited to announce that I closed on my first property. The means for which I accomplished it was not how I envisioned, but it is done. Firstly I'd like to state that this first property was done using a baby step approach, turnkey. While not the full the process of rehabbing and refinancing like the BRRRR approach, it did offer me a good understanding of the process within my constraints (time being the big one).

I approached this property like I did when I was looking on my own before I discovered turnkey. I found properties I liked with a turnkey company that I was comfortable with. I ran the numbers on my own to compare to their numbers. I asked many questions and researched the neighborhoods using www.city-data.com, crime sites, Google street view, and of course asking questions on BiggerPockets. I made sure to follow my target area, Memphis, with my keywords, which allowed me to discover who could help me online. I also researched the turnkey companies on the BBB, on BiggerPockets and via searches on Google. Phone calls were also helpful as were the many e-mail exchanges.

I now own a nice SFH. It cost $75,000 and after maintenance reserves, vacancy reserves, PM fees and PITI I manage a 12% COC. I am happy with this.

The main things I have learned from this experience are to use inspectors on your home as many times as you need to. This is vital when using a turnkey to ensure there is no deferred maintenance. The other is to get quotes for anything you may need (inspections, insurance, taxes PM fees) ahead of time. My closing costs predictions were close overall, but I found that my insurance prediction was off significantly as was my home inspection cost. I got lucky here that my lender was able to come in way under on their predicted closing costs.

Using a turnkey was a little odd for me at first. After researching Rent to Rewards, which is run by @BertMiller and @HansGuenther, I became very comfortable with paying to have a very easy transaction. The turnkey process through them was seamless; they made many concessions to speed up closing and addressed all my issues quickly. The even managed to negotiate the contractor paying for my inspector to return to the property to verify maintenance was completed. I received the property with no deferred maintenance. This was huge. They never rushed me and even reached out to me personally after the transaction to ensure I was satisfied. Highly recommend these guys.

I’d like to thank the many people on and off BP that helped me accomplish this:

@DavidHutson @DouglasSkipworth @JamesMartin

@DavidHutson gets special credit for meeting me in person and fielding my phone calls, e-mails and text messages on all questions minor and major. Thanks!

I apologize that none of my name links are working. Hopefully credit is received where it is due. 

10Reply
119 views

Most Popular Reply

Port Coquitlam, British Columbia · Member since 2016 · 7 posts · 3 votes
10y

Congrats!  I just joined BP, this is my first post and i hope to post something similar in the next 3-4 months.  

See this reply in the discussion

35 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Flipper/Rehabber · Miami Beach, FL · Member since 2016 · 23 posts · 5 votes
    10y
    Congrats!
  • Carlsbad, CA · Member since 2015 · 27 posts · 4 votes
    10y

    Congrats! I have been considering TK as well but I can't seem to make the numbers work when I factor in Cap Ex. I am also struggling with a viable exit strategy. Can you share your thoughts on those two things? (CapEx and exit strategy)

    thanks!!

  • Investor · Herndon, VA · Member since 2015 · 185 posts · 74 votes
    10y

    Congrats @Alexander Price . TK is a great way to enter into the rental space. I did the same and glad I was out of analysis paralysis mode sooner than many stuck in that forever. Now the journey gets smoother and interesting as you learn the ropes through real time experiences. Great job!!!

  • Investor · Gilroy, CA · Member since 2016 · 255 posts · 195 votes
    10y

    @MattWhite I did conventional financing. 20% down 30yr fixed.

  • Investor · Gilroy, CA · Member since 2016 · 255 posts · 195 votes
    10y

    @Jayson Trierweiler

    As for an exit strategy I did not put too much extra thought into it. I can afford the payment of the mortgage and take the loss if needed. That would be worse case. Memphis is currently pretty hot right now, so I could likely offload the property and break even since some of the maintenance improvements were completed after appraisal. Fortunate for me. As far as the future is concerned I would likely try to sell if I had to. I also know a few people local to me who would be interested in taking over my property if I needed to as well.

    As for CapEx: I put in a blanket of 10% for maintenance which includes a small portion for CapEx. Based on the age of the house, and that many maintenance issues were corrected, including siding, I was comfortable with a smaller percentage for CapEx. That said, I keep cash on hand and am opening a HELOC. So I have CapEx funds saved for or accessible already.

    -

    Since my previous post @mention did not link properly, @Matt White I answered your question in the post above.

  • Carlsbad, CA · Member since 2015 · 27 posts · 4 votes
    10y

    @Alexander Price thanks for answering!

  • Chris ClothierBusiness Member
    Rental Property Investor · memphis, TN · Member since 2009 · 2k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    10y

    Congratulations @Alexander Price on your first purchase.  I have really been impressed with your answers to other investors on here.  You have done a good job of thinking things through and have what looks like a pretty good plan.  

    Best of luck as you go!  ~

    Chris

  • Rental Property Investor · Chicago, IL · Member since 2016 · 16 posts · 4 votes
    10y

    Congrats, @Alexander Price! As a new member on BP, success stories like yours are quite motivating.

  • Residential Real Estate Broker · Chicago, IL · Member since 2016 · 51 posts · 14 votes
    10y

    Congratulations and thanks for sharing!

  • Cincinnati, OH · Member since 2016 · 14 posts · 1 vote
    10y

    @Alexander Price thanks for the answer! congrats again!

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.