Some help & suggestions for an duplex flip in Sacramento

Some help & suggestions for an duplex flip in Sacramento

Rental Property Investor · San Francisco, CA · Member since 2015 · 78 posts · 30 votes

Hey all!

As you may know, I'mprimarily a buy-and-hold investor with 4 SFRs properties in Sacramento, CA and in contract to purchase my first in Houston, TX.

I've always been interested in flipping but haven't had the right opportunity come across until a 6/2, 3/1/unit duplex I was recently able to get in contract 

Numbers

  • Purchase Price - $206,500
  • Rehab - ~$5,000
    • Minor cosmetic repairs
    • Probably overshooting this one, one unit is currently occupied by a tenant of 20+ years and the vacant unit is rent ready.
  • Holding costs - $2,600 ($8,000 - $5,400 current rent)
  • Closing costs - $15,000
  • ARV - $250,000 - $270,000
  • Profit - $20,900 - $40,900

Strategy

  • Because home is rent ready and one unit is already occupied, as I close on this, I'll immediately list it for rent and for sale (I'm listing my own property)
    • If I'm able to get a good, clean purchase price now I'll sell it as is
    • If not, I'll place a tenant (market rent is $1,000 - $1,100 based on my experience with my other rentals in this area)
  • I'll then list it for sale again as a fully occupied duplex.
    • If I'm able to then get a solid price, I'll sell it
  • Worst case scenario, I'll refinance the private money and add this to my current portfolio

Questions

  • Any initial thoughts on this strategy?
  • Biggest dilemma I'm facing is that I'm short roughly ~$30,000 to close.  My numbers above are assuming I somehow come up with the $30k.  I'd really love some suggestions on how I could come up with this.

Thanks for your thoughts and looking forward to hearing back from y'all!

Cheers,

Andrew

1Reply
14 views

4 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Twinsburg, OH · Member since 2014 · 37 posts · 8 votes
    10y
    If you consider brining on a partner for the rest of cash ?
  • Lender · Rochester, NY · Member since 2014 · 3k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    10y

    @Andrew Luong

    You can use retirement funds or a personal loan. The personal loan payments will count against your DTI's.

  • Sergey TkachevPro Member
    Investor, Agent, CPA · West Sacramento, CA · Member since 2009 · 690 posts · 262 votes
    10y

    Similar to what was said above, look for a partner or private money (family, etc if that is something you are comfortable with - it will likely be less expensive than if you go the hard money route).  Make sure your numbers are correct and that you have multiple exit strategies in case things don't go as planned (which happens fairly often :) )

  • Software Engineer · Fremont, CA · Member since 2015 · 30 posts · 5 votes
    10y

    Numbers look pretty good to me. Since your planB is hold it in ur portfolio, I am sure you did all the math and made sure it is cash flowing.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.