Houston Flip - Regular Updates from Start to Finish

Houston Flip - Regular Updates from Start to Finish

Wholesaler · Houston, TX · Member since 2014 · 73 posts · 57 votes

I am closing on my 5th house, which is my 7th deal, on October 17th and my plan is to renovation and sell it. I'm buying it from another investor who started writing about it in his BP blog but I won't share those details until it's officially in my possession. 

A year ago at this time I only had 2 houses and 1 deal. I don't count my primary residence as a deal despite house hacking it. A lot has happened in a year and I've had a major setback as described below. I'm still relativity new to real estate but I have built a strong foundation thanks to BP. I've done a little of several things and I'm still I'm trying to figure out where my time should be spent to get the most out of it.

I have several reasons for writing a public diary like this. 

1. To keep me accountable because I want to be able to go back and see what went well and what didn't. I want to be able to state specific goals/desires at moments in time and see if they're met.

2. To be a learning experience for other new investors for things I do well and things I screw up.

3. To serve as a forum for advise and help if/when I'm stuck or not sure what to do.   

I've attempted one renovation before and that was a disaster. I worked with a partner 50:50 who had much more experience but multiple contractor issues, health issues to my partner, and high crime in the area lead to most of my capital being tied up for 9 months with no profit to speak of. I did learn a lot about what not to do, so maybe I'll be better off going forward. I'm definitely coming into this flip much more prepared than last time. I may post that story if I get some interest. 

This time around I'm using a local bank as my lender instead of doing all cash. They lend 80% of the (purchase price + reno cost), or 75% LTV of ARV, whichever is lower. At only 1PT, and 6% interest it's a great resource for cheap money. The downside is they need 4 weeks to close like a traditional bank so the seller needs a flexible closing date.

I'll post pictures, show the numbers, and provide much more information as things get going. I don't want to be too premature since I don't own the house yet. I'm hoping to finalize my contractor's bid proposal this weekend so we cant start on Tuesday. 

5Reply
76 views

Most Popular Reply

Julie MarquezPro Member
Investor · Skagit County, WA · Member since 2016 · 1k+ posts · 807 votes
9y

@Mark Parzych Thanks for sharing your journey. My husband and I are about to close on a 2/1 house that is currently down to the studs, so it looks almost the same condition as yours! This is so much great information here. Except my numbers seem exponentially more. $250,000 purchase price and $90,000 in rehab costs. $30,000 for the plumbing and furnace alone! I'll be following along!

See this reply in the discussion

71 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Investor · Houston, TX · Member since 2014 · 103 posts · 11 votes
    9y

    As a big 'online forum' person (very popular in the modified car world), I can't believe I didn't think of this sooner. People making 'build threads' of their cars is a common thing. Their journey from start to finish.

     There should be WAY more of these. Provides so much scope to those starting out, keeps you accountable and focused, and is a great/interesting read.

    Great idea. Keep it up!

  • Wholesaler · Houston, TX · Member since 2014 · 73 posts · 57 votes
    9y

    @Kevan Shelton

    I PMed you

    @Account Closed

    Thanks. I haven't been as active with only 1-2 updates a week but looking back it'll be a good progression.

    A couple days ago I went to Floor & Decor to pick out flooring and back splash. I actually purchased really nice tile right before the renovation because I got it at a good price. I was planning to use it for the kitchen flooring and bathroom. When I brought the sample into the store the designer said that I shouldn't be using it for flooring because it was polished. I didn't even think of that but she's right. When these tiles get wet they would be a slip hazard and I can't have that in a rental. I'll use the tile in the bathroom walls only instead. Trying to pick out new kitchen/bath flooring and living space flooring was becoming a challenge because the design scheme wasn't set. After over an hour, maybe 90 minutes I finally asked how people start the design scheme when renovating. She said counter-top is the first piece and everything is picked to match that. I'll have to put some of these purchases on hold until I can pick out my granite. I would have pushed to pick it out sooner had I known to start there. 

    Yesterday I met with the plumber and confirmed that the gas line underground wasn't holding at a set pressure. In addition it's a 3/4" line when all the new lines in the house are 1". He would have recommended to change it out for that reason anyway. Regardless I could have been better prepared for this extra cost and included it in the budget had my contractor looked into it during his bid estimate. Or I asked him to. Anything over my financed amount I pay for out of pocket and this will be taking me over my initial budget. 

    Drywall should be done today. The goal is for tape and float to be done Sunday. Texture on Monday. Paint on Tuesday. That what my contractor says but I have a feeling it'll take a bit longer than that.

    Sorry for the side view, 

  • Wholesaler · Houston, TX · Member since 2014 · 73 posts · 57 votes
    9y

    It's been two weeks since my last update. What was suppose to last 5 days ended up lasting 14 days. The tape, float, and texture has taken almost two weeks and delayed our timeline significantly. They didn't even texture orange peel as described in the contract. Instead it's the cheaper looking knockdown and crows feet on walls. I'm very irritated that it came out that way but by the time I saw it almost the whole house was done. It's not worth redoing everything again. Here's a picture before texture. I'll take another round tomorrow that I'll post.

    Another point of contention have been the kitchen cabinets. I asked two weeks ago to get started on that and he had been putting it off. This past weekend I finally asked what his budget was for cabinets so I can go to the stores myself to look. For a 10x15ft kitchen he said $1200. That's not possible no matter how cheap it's made. I was seeing them on the cheaper side at $4,000 and up. RTA's can be had for $3500 but then install cost increases. Yesterday and today he went to a couple stores and saw prices for himself. We agreed to mid-tier cabinets when signing the contract yet even the cheapest runs Home Depot crap runs $2500. Realistically it should be around $5000 for a kitchen that size but I found a craigslist ad that has good quality for $3000. My contractor is going to go to one final store tomorrow recommended by the granite guy, but I'm expecting prices to be at least in the $4000 range. I'm banking on my contact but he's not been the most responsive so I'm a little worried. 

    So at this point we need cabinets selected. Once cabinets are selected I'll pick out backsplash, kitchen flooring, and bath flooring. I looked at paint colors today and we'll get started on that next. Once painted it's ready for cabinets/granite, prehung doors, and trim work. 

    The goal is everything painted and ready for cabinets installation to start next Wednesday. Again we'll see how that goes. I'm now telling prospects who call my for rent sign a later move in date. I know that it'll be harder to get things moving quickly due to the holidays. 

    If anyone in Houston knows where to find cheap yet good quality cabinets please let me know!!!

  • Houston, TX · Member since 2015 · 15 posts · 3 votes
    9y
    Enjoying the read man keep it up!
  • Divide, CO · Member since 2016 · 46 posts · 9 votes
    9y

    My husband and I are closing on our first flip house December 29th in Woodland Park, CO. I have been thinking of doing a thread like this as it's a great idea! You have a diary of what you did, and I find this thread to be informative and helpful. A great way to help others in this industry! Thank you, I can't wait to see what's next!

  • Real Estate Agent · Houston, TX · Member since 2015 · 55 posts · 22 votes
    9y

    Hey Mark not sure how I missed this log of yours, it is inspirational thanks for posting it.

    Have you perhaps looked at IKEA for cabinets? They recently had good prices on kitchen cabinets and a good discount on them if you were a "IKEA Family" member...

    Following the thread and looking forward to the next update.

  • Wholesaler · Houston, TX · Member since 2014 · 73 posts · 57 votes
    9y

    Thanks @Armando Cruz, @Holly Scott, and @Gordon S. for the support.

    Today my contractor went to that store and ended up purchasing cabinets. They are RTA so he'll have to assemble them. Said he got them cheaper and based from the picture they appear to work well enough. 

    Today I went to Floor and Decor to pick flooring and tile. I've come up with the design scheme and my paint color. It should come out nice... I hope. The laminate floors are $1.50 per sq/ft, kitchen/bath floor tile at $1.60 per sq/ft, and backsplash $8.00 per sq/ft.  So not builders grade cheap but not super expensive either. 

    Here are pictures at the end of week 7.

    Couple things to point out. The bathroom has that shelf in the bathroom due to the wall size being 6ft instead of a standard 5ft. It doesn't give enough space to make a wall with a gap for shelving behind the tub but turning it into only a wall would be odd also. To get bathtubs 6ft long it would cost way too much. Utility is important so I figured this should work well in the end. 

    The plumber started digging to install the new gas line but hasn't installed any pipe yet.  Just wanted to send out a picture for those who don't know what to expect. Grass that was dug up is being saved so hopefully it can grow right back once complete. I just hope he does it before the uprooted grass dies completely.

    That low beam in the living room is something I'm thinking about. It's drywalled and textured to be painted over the normal wall paint color but I'm wondering if something else should be done with it? Paint it the trim color? the ceiling color? Skim coat a smooth texture and paint it trim color maybe? Not sure if it should be highlighted or blended in due to it being so low. Any advice?

    They should start painting tomorrow and be done by Tuesday. I'm hoping that everything will start coming together fast but not very optimistic. At least I see some type of progress everyday; albeit slow.

  • Kevan SheltonPro Member
    Developer · Houston, TX · Member since 2016 · 54 posts · 29 votes
    9y
    Mark Parzych you can do a Faux wood beam and match the flooring or just make it a architectural feature. You can use stain grade 1"by whatever you depth is and make it look great I will PM you a picture
  • Kevan SheltonPro Member
    Developer · Houston, TX · Member since 2016 · 54 posts · 29 votes
    9y

    heres an example

  • Wholesaler · Houston, TX · Member since 2014 · 73 posts · 57 votes
    9y

    @Kevan Shelton

    Thanks my concern with that is ceilings are low it'll highlight how low the beam is.

    I'll just let the room play out and change it later if it looks odd.

  • Wholesaler · Houston, TX · Member since 2014 · 73 posts · 57 votes
    9y

    So a lot has happened, yet nothing has happened since my last update.

    On Saturday I stopped by the house and I saw they were painting the walls with the wrong color. On Friday my contractor asked what color I wanted, I told him, yet he used paint he already had (by the October Purchase Date) to save money. I told the painters to stop, actually went and bought paint myself, and came back for them to continue. I sent some texts expressing my frustration to the GC  since he wasn't answering his phone.

    On Sunday I saw the house was emptied with all materials. On Monday my GC confirmed my expectation which was that he was walking from the job. I was being too much of a micromanager according to him; yet he had not followed his own commitments according to details in the contract. If he asks what paint I want after discussing it with him, that's what I expect. 

    I paid him a draw two days before this happened so I'm out a chunk of money.

    Anyway I've spend the past couple days trying to find another contractor to finish up the work. I've written out a detailed scope and am asking for a labor only bid. I signed another contract tonight. They say they should be done in 10 days.

    It's Wednesday today. 

    I decided to use the cabinet source I talked about earlier and they will delivery on Sunday.

    I got the granite guy's contact info and he'll continue the job and install on Wednesday next week.

    I talked with the same plumber and he'll continue the job outside and we came to an agreement for the rest of the inside plumbing. 

    I talked with the same electrician and he'll finish up his portion.

    I got the AC guys info and will talk to them soon about finishing their portion. 

    So everything is going to come back together soon. I'll be out some money but I'm not beating up myself over it. Who knows it may work out best anyway. The contractor I met today seems to work with a lot of investors and apparently has a really good realtor contact. I'll explore that and see what comes of it. 

    I'm attaching my scope list for those interested. We made a couple changes when talking with the contractor as you can see. 

  • Real Estate Agent · Houston, TX · Member since 2015 · 55 posts · 22 votes
    9y

    Wow, he was willing to walk away because of paint color? Good riddance. 

  • Westerville, OH · Member since 2016 · 33 posts · 7 votes
    9y

    As a GC in columbus ohio 95% of our bids are labor only bids.. I was curious how other investors took these bids? Would you rather have a all in bid or a labor only bid with expected material cost estimated.. 

  • Wholesaler · Houston, TX · Member since 2014 · 73 posts · 57 votes
    9y

    I'm now going to try to get labor only bids. I met another contractor who did 20% premium on materials, subcontractor work (electric/plumbing/etc) and that 20% was his profit. I don't like that method since he has no incentive to cut costs.

    Labor only only works if the scope is very well defined because every little deviation might be extra. 

    My contractor so far has been very good. There's been many corrections made from the previous work and he has very good communication. He has a very competent lead worker in his crew who knows what he's doing and keeps everyone on track. 

    I think everything might still be wrapped up before Jan 1st. We are installing cabinets tomorrow, granite day after, and flooring right after that. My main concern has to do with my plumber showing up to finish his work. The electrician is on schedule to finish the wiring and fixture installation tomorrow. 

    I met a couple on Sunday who walked by asking if I was looking to sell. I said I'm planning to rent it but they got a price from me I'd be okay selling it for. They came again Monday to check on the progress and asked my contractor a bunch of questions. It seems like they are becoming invested in the house. If I can get that price without a realtor then I may sell. I'm probably overdoing the quality as a rental. I'd like to renovate multiple properties at once and could utilize this capital to expand my business. In addition interests rates have risen substantially and it may be worth selling before it decreases property values. Thoughts? Rent out or Sell?

  • Investor · Pearland, TX · Member since 2016 · 246 posts · 136 votes
    9y

    If you get the price you want, and have a property already line up to purchase, then 1031 the profits into a different property and start the process over.

    The real question is where is the bigger profit margin for you?

  • Dave FosterBusiness Member
    Qualified Intermediary for 1031 Exchanges · St. Petersburg, FL · Member since 2013 · 9k+ posts · 9k+ votes
    9y

    @Mark Parzych,

    The answer to your question of course is going to come down to your personal preference and the strategic direction you want to take.  But @William E. rightly recognizes that a unique opportunity has come your way through that walk through couple.

    Normally a 1031 exchange on this project would be difficult to defend because the timing and process would look awfully like a fix n flip and those do not qualify for 1031 treatment. But an unsolicited offer to sell is often used to demonstrate a reason for changing intent from holding for productive use (1031able). 

    With your stated goal of using proceeds to fund multiple properties the ability to 1031 might be a very good option for you thanks to the unsolicited offer.

    The 1031 Investor5137 Reviews
  • Escrow Officer · Detroit, MI · Member since 2016 · 15 posts · 11 votes
    9y
    It might still be hard to defend a 1031 exchange here. If all indications were that this property was a flip, then selling based on an unsolicited offer is still consistent with a resell purpose. It'd be worth seeing what a CPA is comfortable giving a thumbs up to.
  • Investor · Pearland, TX · Member since 2016 · 246 posts · 136 votes
    9y

    @Mark Parzych

    Another option would be to rent to own with seller financing @10% and you can be the bank. Give them 2 years to refinance.  If they don't pay, you get the house back to rent, if they do, it acts like a rental until it is sold. 

    you don't get the 2 years of appreciation in the building, but you get it in the amortization.

    Thoughts?

    B

  • Dave FosterBusiness Member
    Qualified Intermediary for 1031 Exchanges · St. Petersburg, FL · Member since 2013 · 9k+ posts · 9k+ votes
    9y

    @Account Closed, You're absolutely right.  What opens the door is the combination of the unsolicited offer and his stated intent which was to rent.  I'm assuming he'll have documentation of conversations with his accountant or a record somewhere including rent proformas etc.  The unsolicited offer provides a justification for the change in intended action.  It's the two things together that make a strong case.

    Great idea by @?William E.  Make sure it's a lease with only an option to purchase or you once again show your intent to sell rather than hold.

    The 1031 Investor5137 Reviews
  • Divide, CO · Member since 2016 · 46 posts · 9 votes
    9y

    Contractor horror stories definitely scare me! I meet with my GC today to discuss invoicing, scheduling etc. as we close on our first flip next Friday (Dec 29th). Any advice on contracts? Is there a good template to use? We have gone over in detail a few times exactly what needs to get done, and she bid labor and materials. But we haven't signed anything yet, and we haven't talked payments yet.

  • Wholesaler · Houston, TX · Member since 2014 · 73 posts · 57 votes
    9y

    I don't think a 1031 would be feasible given the circumstances unless I rented it out for a year then sold it. 

    I didnt have any discussions with my CPA regarding this house. The only evidence of intent is having a for rent sign in the front and my statements on here. Even if it is feasible, timing doesn't work well because I'll be gone all of January for a business trip.

    I want cash now to invest or to rent it out as a long term rental. Putting it on a wrap would not put much if any extra money in my pocket. I would probably get about the same cash flow as well verses renting so there's really no point. Lease options are a little tricky in Texas and not something I want to go through with. I think any type of owner financing or lease option is the worst path for my short term and long term goals so it's either sell to increase my capital to buy more rentals or keep as a rental but limit my ability to purchase more rentals slightly.

  • Julie MarquezPro Member
    Investor · Skagit County, WA · Member since 2016 · 1k+ posts · 807 votes
    9y

    @Mark Parzych It's looking really good. How is it today? I'm sure things have really progressed recently.

  • Wholesaler · Houston, TX · Member since 2014 · 73 posts · 57 votes
    9y

    @Holly Scott

    The only thing I can say is make sure every little thing is in writing. If he's buying materials and you expect a certain quality state that quality. If he's painting state in the contract paint color to be chosen by homeowner. If you want a certain detail with tile state that detail. Basically every single thing that can be thought of should be in the contract. That's how I'm going to do it from now on. I'm not an expert and I'll miss some items, but each house I do will give me more experience on how to scope a project. I don't have a template to share. I may think about making one in the future but templates can only do so much since each house has its own uniqueness that templates don't cover. 

  • Wholesaler · Houston, TX · Member since 2014 · 73 posts · 57 votes
    9y

    @Julie Marquez

    So today was mostly cabinet install. They're almost done with all the door and trim painting. They started on the shower but will need to float the wall slightly to make it even. We are ready for granite tomorrow. My plumber finally came and connected the gas line in the yard. He should be back installing plumbing fixtures and attaching the appliances Thursday. The electrician is there tonight working to finish up everything but I don't know if he can get it all done. At least he seems committed to it now. I talked with HVAC and they are scheduled to come Monday.

    My new contractor is a GC but I'm basically the GC lining up everyone. I decided to use the existing subcontractors partially because they appeared to be doing good work and also because there were balances from the old GC. I didn't want to risk leans getting put on the house. It's definitely something I can do, but without dependable subcontractors I don't think it's feasible since I can only be on site once a day after work.  

    I did an estimate on my costs and it appears that I'll be into the project for around 62.5k which is well over my target of 45k. 

    The items that are running me over are: 

    2200 - Gas line outside

    2200 - Balances on subcontractors

    350 - Not being able to use the "cheap" tile I purchased for kitchen and bathroom floor

    500 - Higher than expected on flooring materials budget

    7000 - Draw to GC with no work to show for it

    3250 - Over on Fixtures+Appliances. I "Budgeted" 4000 for this and it's well over. Something that I didn't include originally that I ended up purchasing is a washer/dryer which was around 1100-1200 alone. That 4000 Budget was just a wild guess but after doing a little research later on I realized it wasn't realistic.

    So that right there is 15,500 in overages. There's going to be extra cost because of switching GCs but honestly I'm almost glad in a way because these guys are doing great. They have been on schedule every day and are doing quality work. There is no way we would have finished on time with the other guy. 

    After some internal and external discussion, I think I am going to sell it. I'm going to try and come up with a business strategy that works for me and follow though on that. I've been sort of winging it in terms of which houses I buy and what direction I've gone in. That was to learn, gain experience, and figure out what works best for me and I'm ready to move on with a concrete game-plan.

    Something that bothers me a little is that my paint color choice looks great in the brighter light but not as good in the yellower light. 

  • Brooklyn, NY · Member since 2016 · 71 posts · 21 votes
    9y

    Mark,

    What an amazingly documented journey! Clearly you have the vision, passion and motivation as in Investor.  With such attention to design and detail I almost view the process as a work of art.  

    Thanks for sharing the entire process with us including the highs and the lows.  There will always be unscrupulous people in life. Your former contractor may feel as though he either had the right, or got the upper hand by walking away with your cash.  But his limited vision and lack of integrity are things that will follow him throughout his life.  He probably has never heard of Karma either.

    I admire your courage and strength to forge ahead and finish the project. With all of the challenges came one of the best educational experiences.  

    I wish you continued success.  Enjoy your time away in January

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.