My first 2 deals and some thanks

My first 2 deals and some thanks

Investor · The Colony, TX · Member since 2013 · 283 posts · 205 votes

I never thought I would be writing this post because I never thought I would actually get my first deal, but here I am.  

I finally made the decision 3 months ago to be fully committed to a direct mail campaign.  I contacted @Jerry Puckett to set up my campaign and @Ryan Dossey to set up my call center.  After looking over my budget I decided to do 1,800 letters per month.  Right off the bat I could tell that 1,800 letters was the right decision, not too many calls that I could not handle while working 40 hours a week at my job but enough calls to get me quality leads.  My first month was basically a bunch of tire kickers and people asking to be removed from my list.  The one good lead I got actually turned into my first deal.  Here are the specs:

Deal #1:

ARV: $210,000 - $220,000

Rebab: $30,000

First offer: $125,000

Agreed upon price: $135,000

Exit strategy: Assignment

My second deal came off of my first mailings for month 2.  This was your typical frustrated landlord.  She hated the rental business, hated the property, contractors, tenants, ect... It was great because like you read about on the boards my letter hit her at the perfect time.  A tenant just moved and she did not want to deal with it anymore and my letter showed up that day.  I was the first person she called and I got the deal.

Deal #2:

ARV: $135,000

Rehab: $25,000 - $30,000

Agreed upon price: $72,000

Exit strategy: Assignment

Just finished up month 3 of mailings and it looks like I am going to get a quality deal out of it.  I should know for certain this week.  

All of you who are thinking why did he assign those deals and not flip them.  Well, I needed to get some cash flow for a couple of deals.  I intend on flipping my next ones if they fit what I am looking for.  If not I will just continue assigning, pretty easy money for not much work.

I wanted to write this post for all of the newbies out there that think they will never get a deal.  I was one of those people who thought I would never get a deal.  And, to be honest if this 6 months of mailings that I committed to did not work out I probably would have given up on my dream of having my own real estate business.  There is no secret or magic bullet it just take time, commitment and hard work.  Ignore the shiny ball syndrome and just get out there and do it. From the profits from my first 2 deals I have more then paid off the money I spent on the mailings and I am already looking at greatly increasing my mailings and expanding into a second market for my next 6 months now that I know it is possible and I can do it.

Now, let me take a moment and thank Jerry Puckett and Ryan Dossey.  For those of you who are new Jerry owns a direct mail company.  He has been a savior to me and because of his help I was able to land these deals.  Not only does Jerry provide an excellent service with his direct mail but he also acts as a mentor/coach to all of us newbies who have no idea of what we are doing.  I probably drove him nuts with all of the questions I asked while putting together that first deal but he answered all of them (in depth).  Having a seasoned veteran on your side is priceless.  Any time I had a question about contracts or dealing with setting up an assignment and buyers he gave me the best advice and knowing you can trust someone in this business and the advice they are giving you is huge.  

For those of you who do not know Ryan Dossey he  owns a call center that is specifically for real estate investors.  This is not a call center where you provide them a script and they read it, these are true professionals and as Ryan puts it ( coffee is for closers) type of people.  There is nothing better then mailing out 1,800 letters and knowing I am not going to get one call from a single angry person or a call in the middle of the night or when I am with my family because the call center handles everything.  They take the calls live, no answering machines and they go to my lead tracker and make all of the adjustments.  I get detailed info on what the person is looking for and either I am told by the call center to follow up with that person or the call center sets up an appointment and I go to the house and meet the owner.  If you want to set yourself apart from the thousands of investors who just let the call go to voicemail and then call back in 24 hours then this is the way to do it.  The reason I love this service is because as investors we are all using the same lists, there are no secret lists. So, if the home owner get 5 letters and she calls 2 or 3 people and they do not answer and then she calls me and is greeted by a professional person who talks to her about her property and what she wants to do and then sets up a time for me to meet with her, then that is it, game over.  I just blew the competition out of the water and it makes for a great first impression when I show up to meet with her.  

Well, that is it those are my first 2 deals and then some thanks to the people who made this possible. Hopefully I will be updating this thread with more deals in the near future.  If anyone that is reading this is new and wants to know more about the deals feel free to ask.

17Reply
61 views

Most Popular Reply

Real Estate Broker · Indianapolis, IN · Member since 2014 · 3k+ posts · 2k+ votes
9y

@John Hixon  

Thank you very much for the shoutout. If you get a chance PM me the addresses. I'd love to see which of our reps took the calls. What I honestly love THE most about your success is that you're in a SMOKING HOT market and pulling down some awesome deals. 

Keep up the good work. Let's get some more! 

See this reply in the discussion

30 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Investor · Portland, ME · Member since 2011 · 81 posts · 27 votes
    9y

    Congratulations, John!  May I ask how you found the numbers for Rehab costs?  Did the calling center estimate that for you or have you personally researched costs in your area?

    Best of luck in your future flipping endeavors! 

  • Investor · Longwood, FL · Member since 2015 · 221 posts · 130 votes
    9y

    Thanks for posting this information. It was great

  • Real Estate Broker · Indianapolis, IN · Member since 2014 · 3k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    9y

    @John Hixon  

    Thank you very much for the shoutout. If you get a chance PM me the addresses. I'd love to see which of our reps took the calls. What I honestly love THE most about your success is that you're in a SMOKING HOT market and pulling down some awesome deals. 

    Keep up the good work. Let's get some more! 

  • Pittsburgh, PA · Member since 2016 · 28 posts · 6 votes
    9y

    Thank you for posting this. Much like you, I'm just looking to get started and hearing stories like this gets me excited. 

  • Investor · Pearland, TX · Member since 2016 · 246 posts · 136 votes
    9y

    @John Hixon

    i'm curious, could you post the investment (time and money) in those first few months in order to extrapolate your returns by going this method? a ballpark number.

    • for example how much were your leads from Jerry?
    • how much was the call center?
    • how many leads did you talk with that didn't pan out?
    • what kind of script did you present? 

    In short, i have an unconvinced wife, that says she's rather stuff letters, than pay the extra $.20 a piece to get someone else to do it, and having some hard numbers would help to pass this off to other people. :)

    Thoughts?

    B

  • Investor · The Colony, TX · Member since 2013 · 283 posts · 205 votes
    9y

    @Drew MacDermott Thanks, Jerry Puckett who handles my direct mail gave me a spreadsheet that he uses to estimate costs.  He lives in Texas so the costs are very similar to what I would see.  I just plug in the numbers and it tells me how much it would cost.  Now, these are not exact numbers. I am currently not looking at flipping so my costs to not have to be exact.  Just a ball park figure.  If I estimate $30,000 it might actually cost $28,000 or $32,000.  Not something I am concerned with, my end buyer who I assigned it to needs to worry about that.  

    @Ryan Dossey Thanks man.  A lot of my success is due to the awesome call center.  I can't imagine taking all of those calls live.  Your correct, Dallas is a SMOKING HOT market right now and that was a huge issue for me starting out.  I was scared I would just be one in a million investors all trying to do that same thing.   All of these home owners are getting multiple letter and postcards from other investors every month.  But, when they call those guys 99% of the time all they get is an answering machine but when they call me they speak with a real life person and that instantly gives me a ton of credibility and like I said it is game over.  I am looking at expanding into a second market in February and I can't wait to see how much success I have in that market since it is not nearly as competitive as Dallas is. 

    @Steve Salvini I know this is hard to hear but you just have to do it.  And, do not try and test the waters.  Just jump in and fully commit to a marketing campaign.  I tried testing the water once and it backfired, didn't get one deal.   I fully committed this time with 1,800 letters a months and I am seeing the benefits.

    @William E. Thanks for the reply.  The cost per letter from Jerry changes depending on how many months you commit to upfront.  If you want I can PM you his email and he can talk with you about it.  In regards to the call center let me email you Ryan's contact info.  That also changes depending on what you want.  In regard to how many people I spoke with before my first deal, I spoke with 5 people before getting my first deal.  That lead came off of my first months letters.  I sent out 1,800 letters got a lot of calls from people asking to be removed.  Now, when I say I spoke with 5 people that does not mean that is all I got that month.  I spoke with more people after that first deal, some I am still working on and some turned out to be duds.  As far as a script goes the call center does all of that.  Those people are real pros and they handle everything, so that when I meet with the seller we are both on the same page.  I know what the seller is looking for and the seller knows that I am an investor and I want to buy a house.  If I get a lead from the call center that they do not set up a meeting with and just ask me to follow up with, which does happen.  I do not uses a script I just call and talk to them and see what they are thinking and if I can help them.  The conversation are very easy because the call center already did all of the hard work now my job is easy just call and say hi and 90% of the time the owner just starts talking and all I have to do is listen.  And, they already have a great first impression since they spoke with someone the first time they called.   Just FYI people hate leaving messages.  I tried that my first go around and it was a disaster.  

    As far as paying to have someone stuff the letters and doing it yourself.  I am stuffing 1,800 letters a month right now.  I usually do it late at night after working out.  Sit down on the couch and put on some Netflix.  Its not fun but I needed to cut costs when I started so that is what I chose to do.   Now that I am making some money I am thinking about hiring a high school kid to do it.  Maybe pay them $50 a box, I'm sure some kid will be happy with $150 a month.  

  • Investor · Isle of Palms, SC · Member since 2016 · 2 posts · 0 votes
    9y

    Thank you for sharing!  I am about to begin working with @Jerry Puckett and your story could not be more inspiring! 

  • Investor · The Colony, TX · Member since 2013 · 283 posts · 205 votes
    9y

    @Anthony Debiasi Jerry is awesome.  It is really nice having a mentor that is on your side.  It is a lot different reading about how to put together a deal on the forums and actually doing the contract  and trying to figure out all of the issues.  Let me know if you having any questions.  Thanks.

  • Rental Property Investor · Dallas, TX · Member since 2012 · 502 posts · 263 votes
    9y

    @John Hixon Congrats on your success! Dallas is certainly a tough market to be wholesaling in right now.

  • Orlando, FL · Member since 2016 · 57 posts · 21 votes
    9y

    congrats@John Hixon just like you i am in the same boat and feel that i will never make a deal but after reading your post i have faith that one day it can happen . please pm me @jerry puckett and @Ryan Dossey info so i can speak to them about starting my own campaign and get the damn ball rolling. I am tired of just reading bp post and not doing anything about it ,i just gotta jump in full force. 

  • Real Estate Broker · Indianapolis, IN · Member since 2014 · 3k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    9y

    @Pedro Recarey I'll send you a PM. 

    Jerry isn't on BP very often with how busy he is. I'd hit up his website here. If you fill out the form on his site he's good about getting back with you quickly. He did my mail for years. 

    Now on my end on the live answering: 

    I personally am a Real Estate Investor. We set up the service around a year ago because I couldn't keep up with the volume of leads I had coming in. If you check out my referrals here on BP you can read some reviews from other clients as well. 

    Pricing is based on the volume of mail that you're dropping. We're extremely flexible and reasonable, especially with BP members. At the end of the day I've got a vested interest in your success. If I can help you increase your closing % and ROI you'll increase your mail and call volume.

    For any questions about scripts, objections, screening, and processes please reach out to me directly. We've got this down to a profitable science for everyone. 

    @John Hixon

    What I love about you in particular is that you followed my blog, helped me improve my photography, and I watched you research for months. You're the perfect example for new investors of what happens when you take the leap of faith, stick with it, and lean on those around you. (iron sharpens iron!) 

  • Rental Property Investor · Plano, TX · Member since 2016 · 24 posts · 4 votes
    9y
    Congratulations John! This gives me some hope and excitement about trying this hot Dallas market!
  • Rental Property Investor · Davenport, FL · Member since 2016 · 593 posts · 382 votes
    9y

    @John Hixon Nice! Now keep it going!

  • Real Estate Investor · Richardson, TX · Member since 2012 · 113 posts · 27 votes
    9y

    @John Hixon congrats! I also am about to close on my first wholesale deal that I assigned next week. I can not tell you how excited I am! I am using @Jerry Puckett as well! My only question was how you found your end buyer? I partnered with @Andrew Herrig and he helped me find a buyer! I guess I need to build a buyers list.

  • Dallas, TX · Member since 2016 · 23 posts · 2 votes
    9y
    That's a great story man!! Keeps the newbies motivated!!
  • Dallas, TX · Member since 2016 · 23 posts · 2 votes
    9y
    Erik Drentlaw how long have you been ia wholesaler?
  • Real Estate Investor · Richardson, TX · Member since 2012 · 113 posts · 27 votes
    9y

    @Matu Ambaye Just wholesaled my first property from my first months mailing! So, not long.

  • Webster, TX · Member since 2016 · 22 posts · 5 votes
    9y
    Thanks John Hixon great post! I am a newbie from Houston TX, I am currently interested in finding wholesale deals in south west, also could you please tell me how to contact @jerry Puckett
  • Wholesaler · California, CA · Member since 2016 · 9 posts · 5 votes
    9y

    When you call a deal "wholesale", what does that mean?  A 20% discount, 50%?

  • Real Estate Broker · Indianapolis, IN · Member since 2014 · 3k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    9y
    Originally posted by @Zeeshan Maknojia:

    Thanks John Hixon great post!

    I am a newbie from Houston TX, I am currently interested in finding wholesale deals in south west, also could you please tell me how to contact @jerry Puckett

     Go to his webiste marketlikeawholesaler.com and fill out his form. He's not on BP a ton. 

  • Webster, TX · Member since 2016 · 22 posts · 5 votes
    9y
    Thanks Ryan Dossey
  • Real Estate Broker · Indianapolis, IN · Member since 2014 · 3k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    9y

    @Zeeshan Maknojia No problem! 

  • Real Estate Agent · Maywood, NJ · Member since 2016 · 6 posts · 3 votes
    9y

    @Ryan Dossey Would love some more information in regards to your call center campaign. Hope to hear from you soon!

  • Real Estate Broker · Indianapolis, IN · Member since 2014 · 3k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    9y

    @Rafael Dalmasi

    I'll drop you a line!

  • Real Estate Agent · Maywood, NJ · Member since 2016 · 6 posts · 3 votes
    9y

    Awesome thanks! @Ryan Dossey

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.