2nd Utah flip - profited $22k!

2nd Utah flip - profited $22k!

Investor · Layton, UT · Member since 2016 · 162 posts · 237 votes

Another one bites the dust! We closed yesterday and have officially sold off our 2nd baby, aka our 2nd flip. This project wasn’t nearly as extensive as our 1st, but it was very fulfilling and still learned a ton. This property was purchased through Auction.com and is located in Roy, UT. If you’ve never been the winning bidder on their site but are interested in the process, leave a note and I can tell you about my experience.

We closed on this property 10/7/16 but didn’t begin work immediately because my contractor was working on another project. Once we began, it was about 2 months of work, which is excessive for the amount of work that was done, so I’m not happy about that, but I’ll share why it went longer in my lessons learned section below. I borrowed funds from a private investor to fund this purchase. They covered about $85% of the required cash (repairs and actual purchase), and I covered the remaining 15%. Here are the numbers for this project:

Purchase Price: $140,999

Purchase closing costs: $1,706

Materials and Labor: $31,822

Holding Costs: $9,019 (includes repayment to investor)

Final Sales Price: $220,000

Closing Costs, Commissions, and Staging: $14,667

Total Profit: $21,788

Here are some before and after pictures:

Fireplace before/after:

Kitchen before/after:

These are the major items we replaced/redid on this house: converted the carport into an additional one car garage (not as hard as I thought it’d be), carpet, updated fireplace, paint, updated lighting, appliances, laminate, granite countertops (also added a little shelf to the counter so you sit at a stool to eat), backsplash, painted cabinets, new furnace, new windows, and removed 3 dead trees from the yard. This house already was 6 bed 2 bath, so it had great bones, just cosmetically it was fugly. My wife pretty much managed this project from beginning to end and did a great job. We only had it listed for a week before we received an offer $4k less than our listing price (but $5k more than I had always forecasted, if that makes sense), so we accepted and closed 4 weeks later.

What did I learn this time?

Lesson Learned #4 (to add to my previous post):

Too many cooks in the kitchen. We wanted to help out a neighbor and give him a chance to earn some side income on this flip. We laid out 3 items that he could do and then we would pay him once the job was completed (he wanted to be paid per hour and I didn’t agree). My general contractor advised us NOT to bring anyone else into the rehab, but we still went ahead with our decision. This decision probably single-handedly cost us ~3 weeks of repair time as he kept promising us he’d get his part done. Well, he didn’t, and so we had to call an electrician to tie a couple of loose-ends at the very end so that we could list the house. Lesson: Be wary of hiring friends, family, or neighbors.

We just started our 3rd flip in Ogden this past Monday. It was an MLS purchase. It's only 1000 sq ft so we should be re-listing it within a month.

33Reply
176 views

Most Popular Reply

Real Estate Agent · PA · Member since 2017 · 63 posts · 28 votes
9y

Hey Caleb! Thanks for your input.  I am just a beginner and haven't actually done any flips yet but am a serious contender.  How is it using Auction.com?  I thank you for your response!

See this reply in the discussion

106 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Wholesaler · Ogden, UT · Member since 2016 · 12 posts · 4 votes
    9y

    @Caleb Rigby Its hard to tell in the pictures, did you replace all of the cabinets or were some of them painted?

  • Investor · Layton, UT · Member since 2016 · 162 posts · 237 votes
    9y

    @Kyle Kapp, just painted. About $600 in labor and $100 in paint.

    @Andy Robison, we put laminate wood flooring down in front of the fireplace. Do you mean the rug? That's from Ikea. 

  • Smithtown, NY · Member since 2017 · 6 posts · 4 votes
    9y

    @Caleb Rigby Would you mind telling us a bit about how you nailed down the private money? That's something that I think would be really helpful for a lot of us new investors. I've read the book on investing with no or low money down, but am always interested to hear about how others get that private money. Thanks a lot and both of your flips look great! 

  • Hyrum, UT · Member since 2016 · 2 posts · 0 votes
    9y

    Great job on the rehab and sale!

  • Investor · Layton, UT · Member since 2016 · 162 posts · 237 votes
    9y

    @Phillip Cassaw, I think that might be a thing unique to AZ. I haven't ever seen that on a UT property before. Auction.com has a 'chat with us' button on the bottom right - I'd first ask them what it means.

    @Sam Shueh, here is my post to my 1st flip:  My 1st flip

    @Ashley Wilson, I believe they just sprayed these, but honestly I don't know :) We just had our GC do it and they turned out great. I've also had quotes from others in the past and while they might have done a little bit better job, it didn't ever justify an extra $2k that they were asking.

  • Investor · Layton, UT · Member since 2016 · 162 posts · 237 votes
    9y

    @Jim Meloche, we just paid them a % o the profits.

    @Jerad Miller, my number is gross (taxes have not been figured into my $22k profit). Take a look at @James Masotti's response below to answer your question. 

  • San Jose, CA · Member since 2016 · 36 posts · 7 votes
    9y

    @Caleb Rigby thanks for sharing your success. I especially love that you used investors private money.  When private money is used, the process is smoother as non-bank lenders scrutinize the deals less.   Good luck on your next round.  

  • Real Estate Agent · Cupertino, CA · Member since 2016 · 4k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    9y

    Both net are consistent.  Looks like it will be a matter of time if you quit your day job flipping homes FT.....

  • Property Manager · St. John, IN · Member since 2017 · 67 posts · 30 votes
    9y
    Great work! We have bought a couple properties from auction sites and have had good success with them. The finished result on your flip is fantastic. Great to see flippers taking pride in their work and turning over much improved property. Gotta love the feeling of taking a disaster and turning it into something valuable again.
  • Flipper · Salt Lake City, UT · Member since 2017 · 8 posts · 4 votes
    9y

    Awesome work @Caleb Rigby! My wife and I are currently investing in Salt Lake County. If we find a good wholesale deal, would you come down this far?

    Keep up the great work and good luck with #3.

  • Investor · Park City, UT · Member since 2016 · 46 posts · 15 votes
    9y

    @Shane Hakala  i would be interested in any wholesale deal you have in SL county.  Currently flipping here.  thanks.

  • Investor · Park City, UT · Member since 2016 · 46 posts · 15 votes
    9y

    Just a word of caution about Auction.com deals...sounds like @Caleb Rigby found a great one and it turned out fabulous.  Congrats - it looks fab!  However, from personal experience, it is not easy to win a bid on that site - unless you happen to find a diamond in rough, or you want to overpay.  Partner and I were all over that site for months and never won a single bid.  Maybe we were too cheap? Maybe the winning bid overpaid?  My guess is the latter...maybe they are ok making 10K profit off a flip...but I'm not.  Know your limits before you get sucked into the bidding craze!  FYI.  

  • James MasottiPro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Washington Township, NJ · Member since 2015 · 1k+ posts · 976 votes
    9y
    Originally posted by @Kate Weinberg:

    Just a word of caution about Auction.com deals...sounds like @Caleb Rigby found a great one and it turned out fabulous.  Congrats - it looks fab!  However, from personal experience, it is not easy to win a bid on that site - unless you happen to find a diamond in rough, or you want to overpay.  Partner and I were all over that site for months and never won a single bid.  Maybe we were too cheap? Maybe the winning bid overpaid?  My guess is the latter...maybe they are ok making 10K profit off a flip...but I'm not.  Know your limits before you get sucked into the bidding craze!  FYI.  

    Many of the auctions the bank has a reserve set. So it's not always a winning bidder overpaying sometimes the bank has a reserve set higher than an investor will pay either because they want to retain the property to sell as an REO or they just have bad information from their local listing agent.

  • David M.Pro Member
    Investor · Torrance, CA · Member since 2016 · 21 posts · 10 votes
    9y

    Thanks for the good post @Caleb Rigby.  I've been watching the Ogden/SLC corridor for a while and for the longest time the sales prices were right around $100/sqft around Layton.  In the past few weeks/months, though, I've seen outliers that are $130+/sqft that by the description are no different than neighboring houses that are still selling for $100/sqft, and these aren't rehabbed houses.  What's so special about these houses?  A local realtor could only tell me that they're overpriced, but yet they sold near the higher price.  Any idea what's going on?

  • Investor · Park City, UT · Member since 2016 · 46 posts · 15 votes
    9y

    @James Masotti you are absolutely correct.  I should have mentioned that as a #3 reason - any way you slice it, its just not that easy getting a property on that site. 

  • Real Estate Consultant · Brookfield, WI · Member since 2014 · 873 posts · 350 votes
    9y

    Great job, @Caleb Rigby the property looks great! Make sure you treat yourself to a steak dinner. 

  • Investor · Miami, FL · Member since 2016 · 18 posts · 4 votes
    9y

    @Caleb Rigby

    Congrats and many blessings on your ventures. I have a few questions perhaps you can shed some light. When you got the hard cash from the investor he lent you 85% of the cost of the property correct? (I believe that is what you wrote). You had to come up with the other 15% correct? If so, wouldn't the "purchase closing cost" be more than $1706?

    Thanks,

    Fred

  • UT · Member since 2013 · 164 posts · 55 votes
    9y
    Originally posted by @Fred Pineda:

    @Caleb Rigby

    Congrats and many blessings on your ventures. I have a few questions perhaps you can shed some light. When you got the hard cash from the investor he lent you 85% of the cost of the property correct? (I believe that is what you wrote). You had to come up with the other 15% correct? If so, wouldn't the "purchase closing cost" be more than $1706?

    Thanks,

    Fred

     I think you are confusing closing costs with down payment

  • Investor · Miami, FL · Member since 2016 · 18 posts · 4 votes
    9y

    Hi Mike @Mike Palmer

    It could be but just reading the post he noted it was "purchase closing cost" - and had closing cost and comm, etc separately....

    Purchase closing costs: $1,706

    Materials and Labor: $31,822

    Holding Costs: $9,019 (includes repayment to investor)

    Final Sales Price: $220,000

    Closing Costs, Commissions, and Staging: $14,667

  • Investor · Blue Springs, MO · Member since 2015 · 34 posts · 6 votes
    9y
    Caleb Rigby how are you doing due diligence on auction properties. I won a bid once at a great price only to find out 2.5 months later that the title couldn't clear. I made my bid without much diligence last minute and it cost me holding cost on private money. Had I done a little digging I could have seen this deal had been listed and not closed multiple times. One unknown lien could really mess up the numbers
  • UT · Member since 2013 · 164 posts · 55 votes
    9y

    In this case it looks like the $1,706 was part of the 15% he needed to come up with, but the $1,706 was just the buyers closing costs to purchase the property. That is different (and not related) to down payment amount, but he did not use traditional financing so there was not really a typical 'down payment' in this case--he just needed to come up with the difference between the funds he was able to borrow (85%) and the total funds needed (the other 15%). 

  • Investor · Layton, UT · Member since 2016 · 162 posts · 237 votes
    9y

    @Mike Palmer @Fred Pineda, Mike is correct. $1,706 is what I had to pay on top of the actual purchase price. I put in thousands more than that of my own money to fund the rehab costs and monthly holding costs, but that was just the money I had to pay to receive a clean title and get title insurance. 

  • Investor · Layton, UT · Member since 2016 · 162 posts · 237 votes
    9y

    @Adam Hays, I did not know that auction.com would still keep your money if they couldn't provide a clear title on a property, so that is news to me. As far as what I do related to due diligence, before I submit any bid, I have my local title guy run a lien search on the property to make sure it looks OK. He has 20+ years of experience so I trust him.

  • Investor · Layton, UT · Member since 2016 · 162 posts · 237 votes
    9y

    @Kate Weinberg @James Masotti, your statements are correct. My post was not really a 'you can find 100's of good deals on auction.com and other online auction sites (Xome.com, Hubzu)', but rather an anecdotal account of how I acquired my 2nd property. It's just one of the many funnels I'm using to get leads in the door. I've probably bid on 30 Utah properties in the past 7 months and this is the only one that I won, so I agree that it sucks to continue to submit bids to only get outbid, but for a small investor like me, if I get 1-2 properties a year from an online auction site, then I've already accounted for 25% of my acquisition goals and then I just have to supplement the remaining 75% with other lead sources: wholesalers, MLS, finding my own deals from Craiglist, HUD homes, etc.

    @Shane Hakala, add me to your list for sure.

  • Investor · Blue Springs, MO · Member since 2015 · 34 posts · 6 votes
    9y

    @Caleb Rigby I was only out my holding cost on private money. Didn't lose any to the auction. 

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.