2nd Utah flip - profited $22k!

2nd Utah flip - profited $22k!

Investor · Layton, UT · Member since 2016 · 162 posts · 237 votes

Another one bites the dust! We closed yesterday and have officially sold off our 2nd baby, aka our 2nd flip. This project wasn’t nearly as extensive as our 1st, but it was very fulfilling and still learned a ton. This property was purchased through Auction.com and is located in Roy, UT. If you’ve never been the winning bidder on their site but are interested in the process, leave a note and I can tell you about my experience.

We closed on this property 10/7/16 but didn’t begin work immediately because my contractor was working on another project. Once we began, it was about 2 months of work, which is excessive for the amount of work that was done, so I’m not happy about that, but I’ll share why it went longer in my lessons learned section below. I borrowed funds from a private investor to fund this purchase. They covered about $85% of the required cash (repairs and actual purchase), and I covered the remaining 15%. Here are the numbers for this project:

Purchase Price: $140,999

Purchase closing costs: $1,706

Materials and Labor: $31,822

Holding Costs: $9,019 (includes repayment to investor)

Final Sales Price: $220,000

Closing Costs, Commissions, and Staging: $14,667

Total Profit: $21,788

Here are some before and after pictures:

Fireplace before/after:

Kitchen before/after:

These are the major items we replaced/redid on this house: converted the carport into an additional one car garage (not as hard as I thought it’d be), carpet, updated fireplace, paint, updated lighting, appliances, laminate, granite countertops (also added a little shelf to the counter so you sit at a stool to eat), backsplash, painted cabinets, new furnace, new windows, and removed 3 dead trees from the yard. This house already was 6 bed 2 bath, so it had great bones, just cosmetically it was fugly. My wife pretty much managed this project from beginning to end and did a great job. We only had it listed for a week before we received an offer $4k less than our listing price (but $5k more than I had always forecasted, if that makes sense), so we accepted and closed 4 weeks later.

What did I learn this time?

Lesson Learned #4 (to add to my previous post):

Too many cooks in the kitchen. We wanted to help out a neighbor and give him a chance to earn some side income on this flip. We laid out 3 items that he could do and then we would pay him once the job was completed (he wanted to be paid per hour and I didn’t agree). My general contractor advised us NOT to bring anyone else into the rehab, but we still went ahead with our decision. This decision probably single-handedly cost us ~3 weeks of repair time as he kept promising us he’d get his part done. Well, he didn’t, and so we had to call an electrician to tie a couple of loose-ends at the very end so that we could list the house. Lesson: Be wary of hiring friends, family, or neighbors.

We just started our 3rd flip in Ogden this past Monday. It was an MLS purchase. It's only 1000 sq ft so we should be re-listing it within a month.

33Reply
180 views

Most Popular Reply

Real Estate Agent · PA · Member since 2017 · 63 posts · 28 votes
9y

Hey Caleb! Thanks for your input.  I am just a beginner and haven't actually done any flips yet but am a serious contender.  How is it using Auction.com?  I thank you for your response!

See this reply in the discussion

106 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Real Estate Agent · Salt Lake City, UT · Member since 2016 · 214 posts · 154 votes
    9y
    Awesome job Caleb Rigby !!
  • Rental Property Investor · Lehi, UT · Member since 2015 · 195 posts · 133 votes
    9y

    @Caleb Rigby Great job.  Enclosing the garage was a smart move.  The kitchen and fireplace also look like you made some good choices.  At least you didn't go with paying him hourly.  I've done that before and it has always backfired.

    Nice job. 

  • Ogden, UT · Member since 2016 · 17 posts · 16 votes
    9y

    Great work Caleb!

  • Real Estate Agent · Ogden, UT · Member since 2016 · 20 posts · 7 votes
    9y

    Sounds good

  • Real Estate Agent · PA · Member since 2017 · 63 posts · 28 votes
    9y

    Hey Caleb! Thanks for your input.  I am just a beginner and haven't actually done any flips yet but am a serious contender.  How is it using Auction.com?  I thank you for your response!

  • James MasottiPro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Washington Township, NJ · Member since 2015 · 1k+ posts · 976 votes
    9y

    Another great one @Caleb Rigby! Keep up the awesome work with this third flip!

  • Developer/Broker · Spanish Fork, UT · Member since 2016 · 73 posts · 41 votes
    9y
    Awesome job Caleb Rigby ! I'd love to hear more about the next one! Keep those posts coming.
  • Investor · Layton, UT · Member since 2016 · 162 posts · 237 votes
    9y

    @Brandon Rindlisbacher; @Brendon Grover Alright, here goes on the Auction.com process and what I’ve learned. Most properties (at least in Utah) listed on the website won’t ever make it to the online bidding part – they get sold at the courthouse steps and then the house gets delisted from the website. 

    Only about 5% get listed as ‘online auction’ and they always begin with a ‘pre-auction’ time frame about 10 days before the auction begins. If you click on one of those properties, you’ll notice on the right hand side of the page they provide a ‘previously valued to’ price. I’ve found out through trial and error, to even get on their radar and have your initial bid get reviewed that your initial bid needs to be at least 75% of that price. So, for example, on this house, my initial bid would have to be at least $96k to be considered.

    Once you submit a bid, you’ll get an automatic email response from auction.com that says they’re reviewing your bid. Then (and I’ve never not had this happen) you’ll get an email from an actual auction.com employee about a day later that says “We received your pre-auction bid for (property address). We’re in a multiple bid situation and are giving all prospective buyers the opportunity to provide a final highest and best. Please reply with your highest and best offer by:2/1/2017 7:00 AM PST, a decision will be made within 24-48 hours after the Highest & Final due date.”

    You simply reply to that email that either (a) you’ve already given them your highest and best, or (b) you want to increase it to xxxx.

    If you don’t win the auction, you’ll receive a rejection email once all offers have been reviewed and that’s it. But, if you’re the winning bidder, you’ll receive a phone call from an auction.com employee and they’ll walk you through the next steps, which are: (1) sign the purchase and sale contract, (2) submit your earnest money wire, and (3) provide proof of funds to close (as most properties can only be closed with cash). On the property I closed on, from the date I won the auction to the date I actually closed on the house was about 25 days. They have to get multiple signatures from the seller and that is generally what held things up for me, but I didn’t really care.

    Let me know if I didn’t answer one of your questions.

  • Real Estate Agent · PA · Member since 2017 · 63 posts · 28 votes
    9y

    thanks caleb!  So, the $2,500 is a deposit thats needed just in order to place a bid? Not sure how that works.  Whats the purpose of the starting bid if its necessarily 1/3 the cost of what your first bid should be haha?  I really appreciate your insight, its good to have anothers experience shared.

  • Investor · Layton, UT · Member since 2016 · 162 posts · 237 votes
    9y

    The $2,500 deposit is not required on all properties. It wasn't required on that property I bid on. I guess if you won the bid but weren't able to close for some reason that they could hold onto your deposit and you'd never see it again. So, be cautious and make sure to only bid on properties that you could actually close on or you might get stuck.

  • James MasottiPro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Washington Township, NJ · Member since 2015 · 1k+ posts · 976 votes
    9y
    Originally posted by @Caleb Rigby:

    @Brandon Rindlisbacher; @Brendon Grover Alright, here goes on the Auction.com process and what I’ve learned. Most properties (at least in Utah) listed on the website won’t ever make it to the online bidding part – they get sold at the courthouse steps and then the house gets delisted from the website. 

    Only about 5% get listed as ‘online auction’ and they always begin with a ‘pre-auction’ time frame about 10 days before the auction begins. If you click on one of those properties, you’ll notice on the right hand side of the page they provide a ‘previously valued to’ price. I’ve found out through trial and error, to even get on their radar and have your initial bid get reviewed that your initial bid needs to be at least 75% of that price. So, for example, on this house, my initial bid would have to be at least $96k to be considered.

    Once you submit a bid, you’ll get an automatic email response from auction.com that says they’re reviewing your bid. Then (and I’ve never not had this happen) you’ll get an email from an actual auction.com employee about a day later that says “We received your pre-auction bid for (property address). We’re in a multiple bid situation and are giving all prospective buyers the opportunity to provide a final highest and best. Please reply with your highest and best offer by:2/1/2017 7:00 AM PST, a decision will be made within 24-48 hours after the Highest & Final due date.”

    You simply reply to that email that either (a) you’ve already given them your highest and best, or (b) you want to increase it to xxxx.

    If you don’t win the auction, you’ll receive a rejection email once all offers have been reviewed and that’s it. But, if you’re the winning bidder, you’ll receive a phone call from an auction.com employee and they’ll walk you through the next steps, which are: (1) sign the purchase and sale contract, (2) submit your earnest money wire, and (3) provide proof of funds to close (as most properties can only be closed with cash). On the property I closed on, from the date I won the auction to the date I actually closed on the house was about 25 days. They have to get multiple signatures from the seller and that is generally what held things up for me, but I didn’t really care.

    Let me know if I didn’t answer one of your questions.

     Golden information my friend! We're going to need to discuss this more for sure!

  • Real Estate Agent · PA · Member since 2017 · 63 posts · 28 votes
    9y

    Thanks @Caleb Rigby!  What sources do you use to research Comps?  Any one favored?

  • Rental Property Investor · Utah County, UT · Member since 2016 · 55 posts · 47 votes
    9y

    Thanks @Caleb Rigby, this was very thorough.  I appreciate you sharing this info!  Keep up the good work!

  • Rental Property Investor · Davenport, FL · Member since 2016 · 593 posts · 382 votes
    9y

    @Caleb Rigby It turned out really well. Love the new kitchen. 

  • Investor · Layton, UT · Member since 2016 · 162 posts · 237 votes
    9y

    @Brendon Grover, I think the only way to really zero in on the comps is by using the MLS. Connect with an agent in PA and they can start sending you the information you need.

  • Syracuse, UT · Member since 2016 · 21 posts · 27 votes
    9y

    Hey Caleb - I just read your latest post.  Excellent work.  Thanks also for the auction.com primer...I'm excited to follow your next deals!

  • Real Estate Agent · PA · Member since 2017 · 63 posts · 28 votes
    9y

    Thank you @Caleb Rigby, I sincerely appreciate your input! Looking forward to following your progress!

  • Northlake, TX · Member since 2016 · 12 posts · 2 votes
    9y

    Awesome job on your 2nd flip! and thanks for the info on the Auction site

  • Flipper/Rehabber · Atlanta, GA · Member since 2014 · 78 posts · 30 votes
    9y

    @Caleb Rigby it is great to hear an Auction.com success story.  I used to use them as a resource for properties but in my area anyways, I found the majority of them ended up being mostly mold and foundation issues yet they wanted way too much much for them in spite of it.   You wouldn't know it from the pictures and it makes me wonder how many people actually go look at the houses before bidding or are they feeding off the people who don't bother or are hoping for the best?  I finally quite using them.  Now this is not to say their live auctions aren't bad for their bank owned properties.  I'm just referring to their online auctions.  So I'm curious if you go look at the properties or have you just been lucky?  The reason I am asking is I'm wondering if I shouldn't give them another look.  Time is valuable so I take references seriously.  Btw, you did an awesome job transforming that house!  The numbers look great.  You should feel good about it.  "Rinse and repeat", lol!

  • Real Estate Agent · Orlando, FL · Member since 2016 · 7 posts · 12 votes
    9y

    Awesome Job on the flip!!

  • Garrett MinterPro Member
    Investor · Fort Worth, TX · Member since 2015 · 17 posts · 12 votes
    9y

    Fantastic job! Im going to have to check out Auction.com. Have you spent much time on there? Curious your thoughts on the number of actual deals on there. Obviously due diligence would be done on every potential buy. 

  • Professional · Berlin, Berlin · Member since 2015 · 40 posts · 13 votes
    9y

    Well done! wow. @Caleb Rigby

    the original chimney was actually quite nice was there a specific reason (other than personal taste) for changing it?

  • Somerset, NJ · Member since 2016 · 5 posts · 2 votes
    9y

    Would love to learn more about the process.  I have excellent credit but no funds for a purchase.  I have been trying to figure out the easiest way to jump into this process with no funds. 

  • Wendy SweetPro Member
    Lender · Charlotte, NC Area · Member since 2016 · 12 posts · 4 votes
    9y

    Awesome job! 

  • Investor · Herriman, UT · Member since 2016 · 17 posts · 17 votes
    9y

    Great job Caleb it looks great!  I admire you for jumping right in and not letting fear hold you back.  Thanks for sharing, I look forward to seeing your upcoming projects!

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.